• Yes

Votes: 64 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • What mp3 ?!

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

alcy

Its really strange that in the world of hi-fi there are countless number of products (and users) centered around mp3 playback. It really amazes me because even an audiophyte like me doesn't fancy mp3s anymore.

Of course I am talking from a technical point of view, not practical advantages (which is a thing of past too, considering so much storage is available at little cost and hence keeping FLACs & such shouldn't be a problem).

So, well...simple enough poll...share your opinions/rants.

I think people want to listen to MP3 if they want it playing in the background while they go about their work. I personally like to hear the singer and absorb the emotion in the song and hence i play audio cds. I used to collect a lot of mp3 until the volume became out of control

One thing I don't understand is how or why a person would listen to mp3s if he has spent more than 1000$ on his gear (headphones etc.) ? Its just a general trend I have noticed across various boards/internet.

I prefer mp3s when I dont want to focus on music but do some work. I cant do that with regular audio cds. Too distracting.

Also my favorite western artiste I discovered through an mp3 collection. I have yet to find her albums on the store shelfs. The mp3 recordings I have of this artiste are fantastic!! Cant imagine how the redbook CD will sound!!

Regards

I prefer mp3s when I dont want to focus on music but do some work. I cant do that with regular audio cds. Too distracting.

Also my favorite western artiste I discovered through an mp3 collection. I have yet to find her albums on the store shelfs. The mp3 recordings I have of this artiste are fantastic!! Cant imagine how the redbook CD will sound!!

Regards

who is this lady artiste?

I used to listen, collect and admire my MP3 collction, ~ 8000 songs, but introduction to HiFi fourms has made my collection almost redundent. Reason, I took auditions, from the suggestions by the gurus here, and I realized how crappy quality I was listning. Given the fact I am crazy about music and music is almost like air to me, controlling every mood I live in to I decided to quite till I get my hands on my Quality Stereo Setup with proper FLAC collection if not CDs. From then on I am on my way to get the FLACs of all my FAV music I had on MP3. Also looking forward to my hi end set up dedicated music room once my house construction completes......

So...I have some hell lots of discographies starting from Scandinavian metal to Indian classical in MP3s which is over 350GB.....I know of a software which converts MP3 to Flac and if I Flacify my Mp3 collection(as some have been done)...

Technically,
will I listen to lossless music?
will the decompression of mp3 to flac add lossless to the music?
or is it the same Mp3 with more space on HD?

and Mr.Rajan....let us be polite on this forum..no place for harsh and rude statements though its not your intention.

Thanks,
Venkat

So...I have some hell lots of discographies starting from Scandinavian metal to Indian classical in MP3s which is over 350GB.....I know of a software which converts MP3 to Flac and if I Flacify my Mp3 collection(as some have been done)...

Technically,
will I listen to lossless music?
will the decompression of mp3 to flac add lossless to the music?
or is it the same Mp3 with more space on HD?

and Mr.Rajan....let us be polite on this forum..no place for harsh and rude statements though its not your intention.

Thanks,
Venkat

lol...sorry dont get me wrong, whats lost is lost, you can not get the original quality if you convert MP3 to FLAC. MP3 means lossy and once lost how can you make it lossless. Infact even from a CD to FLAC which is like 40% compression I am skeptical if the out put preserves the 100% quality. I can not comment on that as I do not have (yet) the high end equipment to test the difference.

Hi man
Mp3 just bulshit:cool: man only good with ur crap under 2k home theatre. listen cd audio man its the real sound.:yahoo:

just because you have or can have a High End setup does not make the other one crappy, if the user is happy/satisfied, that is just what is needed. Just a though, no hard feelings......

even from a CD to FLAC which is like 40% compression I am skeptical if the out put preserves the 100% quality. I can not comment on that as I do not have (yet) the high end equipment to test the difference.
This is like doubting whether the zipped archive file on your computer is the same as the original document file. Yes, it is the same. That is the definition of lossless and how the lossless algorithm functions. There is nothing to confirm on high-end equipment.

Hey Gobble...I have her entire Discography....nice use of percussion instruments....I liked her song Nagumomu a lot...she sings in Telugu too being from TN basically....a different style of herself entirely..

Venkat

Remainder: Long overdue review of the Audires you have;) with pics

Hey Gobble...I have her entire Discography....nice use of percussion instruments....I liked her song Nagumomu a lot...she sings in Telugu too being from TN basically....a different style of herself entirely..

Venkat

Remainder: Long overdue review of the Audires you have;) with pics

I have her entire set too. However I am looking for her original CDs as I want to support the artiste. Yeah I like Nagumomo too, I like practically all her songs. Yes the arrangement is fantastic.

PS: Also look for the works of an artiste called Nadaka http://www.nadaka.com/. He is one of the few western artistes I have heard who has properly internalized the lilting, meditative and inner spiritual seeking aspect of Indian Music. Great arrangement as with Susheela.

Cheers

Audition coming soon. Thanks.

One thing I don't understand is how or why a person would listen to mp3s if he has spent more than 1000$ on his gear (headphones etc.) ? Its just a general trend I have noticed across various boards/internet.

Very well put.

This is absolutely the logic that I am not able to understand - we analyze, reasearch and buy a decent set of components to put together a system and then blow it all up by listening to crappy source material or watching copied DVDs. I have seen this over many years. So I am wondering if owning an equipment is for bragging rights or presitige symbol?

crappy source material or watching copied DVDs. I have seen this over many years.

Copied DVD is not crapy.....they are exact digital replica, no data or A/V signal loss. Yes MP3sss can be termed as crappy on an High End equipment....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back