Do you see Image Retention/ Burns in your plasmas?

BLASTO

Of late, I have observed Image Retention and Burnin being primary reasons for people shying away plasmas.

We are seeing loads of messages in the net educating on how burn-in no longer exist and how TIR is a non issue. But let us try to post our experiences in one single thread to help prospective buyers make an informed decision.

Plasmas I have owned/own

Usage:

No games
Full length movies with black bars
Streched SD content (No side bars)
Extensive DTH usage

LG PQ60:

Temporary Image Retention - High
TIR content - Channel logos and Black bars (Visible only when switched off)
Burn in - Did not have the TV long enough to observer burn in effects.

Samsung B450:

TIR - NONE (Tried hard to create one but could not)
TIR content - None.
Burn in - Did not have the TV long enough to observer burn in effects. But considering no TIR, I would assume burn possibility is less.

Sometimes I see the Big TV logo and Black bars when I turned off the TV but they are just for a moment. No Burn ins.

TV : Panny 42X10
Usage : Mostly Blu rays, DVDs and Big TV. No Games.

Once i had a problem when the colours were all splattered on the screen.turned off/on the TV and it was gone.Never noticed it again.
TV Samsung 42B450.

Panasonic 42PV80D.
Mostly to watch movies (DVD's Blu-rays), sometimes 2-3 movies continuously.
Some cable watching for movies/news/music is also there but not very continuous types. Full screen.
and off-late lots of gaming (sometimes even 5-6 hours continuous).
I could see some TIR sometimes. But nothing's permanent. Going great still.

Of late, I have observed Image Retention and Burnin being primary reasons for people shying away plasmas.

We are seeing loads of messages in the net educating on how burn-in no longer exist and how TIR is a non issue. But let us try to post our experiences in one single thread to help prospective buyers make an informed decision.

Plasmas I have owned/own

Usage:

No games
Full length movies with black bars
Streched SD content (No side bars)
Extensive DTH usage

LG PQ60:

Temporary Image Retention - High
TIR content - Channel logos and Black bars (Visible only when switched off)
Burn in - Did not have the TV long enough to observer burn in effects.

Samsung B450:

TIR - NONE (Tried hard to create one but could not)
TIR content - None.
Burn in - Did not have the TV long enough to observer burn in effects. But considering no TIR, I would assume burn possibility is less.
TIR/Burn-in will appear only over extensive usage - maybe 2+ years.

Again this will happen only if one watches the same channel majority of the times or plays same game extensively. I read sometime ago (can't recall the link) that image burn-in will occur if static display is shown for 3 hours or more.

Today's latest plasma's have reduced the image burn-in effect considerably. In my opinion, this is not a big issue. This is something to be aware of.

IMHO, the TIR issue is overhyped by everyone. Afterall, LCD also has an issue wherein a LCD pixels can die. This will cause the dead pixel to emit a single color. This is a much more annoying issue. And no one talks of this issue.

In my opinion, this is not a big issue. This is something to be aware of.

+1. exactly.

been using my tv for 1.5 yrs exclusively as a dvd playing device. during the first couple of months, TIR happened very quickly (i.e. horizontal black bars) but disappeared equally quickly. in any case, TIR was visible only when tv was on. didnt see much of it when it was switched off after the end of a movie.
nowadays, TIR still happens, but its not as easily visible as it used to be earlier. most of the time, i tend to forget that TIR phenomenon exists at all.

+1. exactly.

been using my tv for 1.5 yrs exclusively as a dvd playing device. during the first couple of months, TIR happened very quickly (i.e. horizontal black bars) but disappeared equally quickly. in any case, TIR was visible only when tv was on. didnt see much of it when it was switched off after the end of a movie.
nowadays, TIR still happens, but its not as easily visible as it used to be earlier. most of the time, i tend to forget that TIR phenomenon exists at all.

Which TV was it?

Which TV was it?

Panasonic TH 42-PV7. Its there in my signature.:)
I had, of course, set the TV with the recommended lower brightness levels etc. to take care of the first 100 hours. But I havent changed the settings since then because I've got used to them.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back