do you think that alcohol ......

suri

i have been thinking-

given a suitable audiophile - with good tastes - one who appreciates the finer things in life (like, say, one who subscribes to the Bushido code - and holds honour above everything else)-

well, would such a person appreciate the output of a superlative (solid-state)
music reproducer when HIS mind is allowed to be free of earthly anchors ?

how does this discerning person secure this leeway?

well, a good single malt sipped on the rocks - a single malt from the valley of the deer - the valley that ajay124 does not trust!

i decided, to test the theory -

but, yes, it works-

every note - the emptiness of space between notes - the crescendo - the wholeness -

all more palpable after quaffing of consumed (fine) alcohol - and the effect it has on the brain of the audiophile!

well, hehehehe!

Last edited:
@Suri
Your posts are always enjoyable to read.But at times the references need a Google search before they shed their meaning.:)
I did a quick search on 'valley of the deer' and discovered it's gaelic for Glenfiddich!
Personally I don't like the Highland Malts because I find their after taste a big let down.Quite similar to blended whisky.Could be the water they use.Could be that I had a few bad experiences and got a 'fixed notion' in my head that they are not in the islay/speyside class.
The 'Glens' are big brand names,like their blended cousins,Johnny Walker/Chivas Regal.But branding I feel,is more about creating hype in duty free shops in airports across the world.Personally given a choice between a Johnny Walker Blue Label/Chivas Royal Salute and a simple 10 year old Laphroaig/Bowmore/Caol Ila etc,I would choose the Islay's without a moment's hesitation.

About the music....
Yes,it really does enhance the listening experience,if you have 'indulged' a little.
In my days at the college/university hostel a 'little' obviously meant a 750 ml.bottle of 'Sea Pirate','Hercules' shared between 3/4 friends to the accompaniment of b-l-a-r-i-n-g Door's/Floyd/Dire Straits/Dylan/Young.The common favorite of our crowd in Simla was Traffic-Low Sparks/Shootout/Barleycorn /Where the Eagle Flies.Was that a Simla phenomenon or was Traffic big in other cities too?

But now,my consumption is a 90 ml shot with the same amount of 'RO':) water chilled in the freezer until some 'icelets' form in the malt and the glass gets covered in a scottish mist.I never directly add an ice cube,as the cubes you get from a freezer/market taste awful!
Last night after the malt post,I got into the 'Laphroaig' mode.Played Sonny Rollins' 'Way Out West' and Mozart's 20th Piano Concerto.Am not new to Malts,Sonny or Mozart,but I am quite new to having a HiFi system that sounds so good ,that I had a big grin on my face while listening to Sonny and a 'hypothetical' tear in my eye while listening to the Mozart!This concerto was my initiation into classical music.The spark was lit when this Concerto comes on in 'Amadeus' (if memory serves me right)at the moment Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's mortal remains,encased in a death grey shroud are consigned to the earth,on a cold rainy,lonely afternoon....
Re-Posting the Friedrich Gulda Piano Concerto 20 link.
YouTube - Mozart concerto 20 in d, K.466 - 1. Allegro (1of2) Gulda

I had a niggling suspicion that it was not the 20th Piano Concerto which comes on at the time of Mozart's funeral in Amadeus,and a little digging around on You Tube revealed that it was actually the Requiem he was penning,just before his death.
All these years memory has 'interposed' the Piano Concerto with the Amadeus death scene in my mind,that watching the scene with the wonderful Lacrymosa was almost a disappointment.
YouTube - W.A. Mozart - Lacrymosa (Requiem)
YouTube - Salieri describing the music of Mozart

IT SEEMED TO ME THAT I WAS HEARING THE VOICE OF GOD.

I had a niggling suspicion that it was not the 20th Piano Concerto which comes on at the time of Mozart's funeral in Amadeus,and a little digging around on You Tube revealed that it was actually the Requiem he was penning,just before his death.
All these years memory has 'interposed' the Piano Concerto with the Amadeus death scene in my mind,that watching the scene with the wonderful Lacrymosa was almost a disappointment.
YouTube - W.A. Mozart - Lacrymosa (Requiem)
YouTube - Salieri describing the music of Mozart

IT SEEMED TO ME THAT I WAS HEARING THE VOICE OF GOD.

and ajay124 -

it is the anguish of salieri that makes me cry - his disbelief - that god could be so generous in His gifts to (the lowly buffoon - Mozart)-

and, could ignore salieri so completely-

but then, this is the way of the wayward god who looks after us -

and makes us hate, and envy, and even kill in his name-

an inequitable god for sure!

The God's perform their 'duties' in mysterious ways.How do they decide every human beings quota of talent,money,looks,good times.Tumble of the dice?Rewards and Punishments for past lives?
The USP of most religions is an afterlife where everyone gets what he deserves.Since there is very little justice in real life it's a comforting notion that everything will be sorted out in the hereafter.:)

@suri,good to see u back in ur usual,"thinking man's thinker" form ;).love reading ur posts.and u do have a point there,a large dollop of some fine islay malt,prior to a listen will be far more aurally satisfying,than that 1000$ spent on a cable/IC to get u a "similar" experience :p.IMHO.

@ajay,"AMADEUS" was such an awesome movie :).

cheers all.

I think,but am not certain,that Dalmore is part of Whyte & Mackay,the one which is now owned by Vijay Mallaya's UB group.If correct,then the world's most expensive whisky has an 'Indian' tag.Some consolation,until the time we can actually manufacture a 'whisky' in India.I believe Indian whisky is made from molasses,so technically would that be a 'whisky' or a yellow colored 'rum'?

I got an entry level Isle of Jura as a gift recently-this is one of Whyte and Mackay's malts. This one is described as non chill filtered, Isle of Jura Prophecy Profoundly Peated-whatever that means. I suppose this is one small step towards audio nirvana?

until the time we can actually manufacture a 'whisky' in India.

i have just been thinking -

of making "moonshine"

Moonshine Still | Alcohol Stills | Mile Hi Distilling

there is local expertise to help me with setting up a still -

the water in kannur is slightly acidic and tastes very good - of course, only well water will be used -

oak barrels can be bought -

what do i name the whisky that i might produce?

- "Witches Brew??!!!:lol:

Last edited:

of making "moonshine"

the water in kannur is slightly acidic and tastes very good - of course, only well water will be used -

Congratulations.You are back in form.Keep it up.:)
Maybe Miles will borrow your brand name for a sequel album.Free publicity for your moonshine.

I got an entry level Isle of Jura as a gift recently-this is one of Whyte and Mackay's malts. This one is described as non chill filtered, Isle of Jura Prophecy Profoundly Peated-whatever that means. I suppose this is one small step towards audio nirvana?

Try out the 'non chill filtered profoundly peated prophecy'.I am sure you will have the 'Ladies in Jazz',lined up in your room singing just for you:)

You should thank your stars it's the description and not the brand name.Imagine going to the local hooch shop and asking "Can I have one non chill filtered profoundly peated prophecy please."

of making "moonshine"

NO - NO - NO !!!!

you blasted cretin - you mongol!-

a better name would be -

"Witchsky"

keep your peace - i do not know you

But ofcourse his own 'moonshine':eek:hyeah:

And quite close to the witching hour!
I can imagine Suri with his Witches of Ecstasy,high on Bald Mountain,humming
When shall we meet again?
In thunder,lightening or in rain
When the hurly-burly is done
When the battle is lost and won.

@suri,.."bitches brew" :p??!!!

@george,'JURA' is my most favoured single malt of them all :).absolutely :licklips:.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back