do you think that alcohol ......

I think,but am not certain,that Dalmore is part of Whyte & Mackay,the one which is now owned by Vijay Mallaya's UB group.If correct,then the world's most expensive whisky has an 'Indian' tag.Some consolation,until the time we can actually manufacture a 'whisky' in India.I believe Indian whisky is made from molasses,so technically would that be a 'whisky' or a yellow colored 'rum'?

indian made foreign liqours are not fermented stuff but industrial alcohol mixed with with scotch crystals etc etc.
the only genuine liquour we get here are desi tharra and rums.
a decade back, times of india did an exercise wherein they sampled johnny walkers from many shops, five-starreres and excise seizings etc. they sent em all to scotland , johnnyz to test and tell how many of them were genuine and if any of them were fake. none of them were genuines.
i suggest, get ur own stocks of spirits whenever u go abroad. india isnt selling whiskeys in near future.

indian made foreign liqours are not fermented stuff but industrial alcohol mixed with with scotch crystals etc etc.
a decade back, times of india did an exercise wherein they sampled johnny walkers from many shops, five-starreres and excise seizings etc. they sent em all to scotland , johnnyz to test and tell how many of them were genuine and if any of them were fake. none of them were genuines.
i suggest, get ur own stocks of spirits whenever u go abroad. india isnt selling whiskeys in near future.

How you expect IMFL to be genuine when even our Coca Cola/Pepsi is not genuine and heavily mixed with pesticides:D

but-

also interested to know the location and ability to get the best desi liquors - as far as the lenght and bredth of india ic conserened

why i am telling ? - you know? - scared to to go on the aeroplane and allow the pilot to take me to death - so i cannot go videsh - i cannot cross the oceans -as required by ancestors (suits me).

so, i am actually telling, if i have to enjoy i have to buy genuine alcohol in the length and bredth of india.

so - tell quickly - so that i can sojourn forth and seek the blessings of bacchus

Last edited:
@Suri
"scared to go on the aeroplane and allow the pilot to take me to death"
Fear of flying???
Or were you joking:)
I have a fear of heights and was quite scared,the first time I boarded a flight.But my yearning to visit Europe was more powerful than my fear.Had a few bad moments when the plane took off and gained height.But after it leveled out I was fine and quite enjoyed the flight.The wine being served on board helped!Had a dream holiday to many places I had only fantasized about.My wife and I had a Eurorail pass and backpacked for a month through Vienna,Salzburg,Innsbruck,Venice,Florence,Rome,Genoa,Nice,Cannes,Monte Carlo,Bordeaux,Paris,Montreux,Lugano,Lucerne,Interlaken,Zurich,Vienna:)
On that first holiday we had booked some of the hotels in advance but for later holidays we kept everything open and basically drifted across Europe,once winding up at the northern tip of the Lapland region in a town called Inari,40KM short of the last town before the North Pole.Left the last town for a future visit:)
With a bit of research and planning,expenses can be kept under control.Food and hotels are not very expensive in Europe,100 Euro's spent sensibly would be enough for two people per day..A rail pass takes care of all the travelling and is a wonderful experience.
So if you have a fear of flying,try to overcome it.Travelling to new countries is a great pleasure.Don't deny yourself this experience.Budgetary constraints if any,would be a 'real' problem.Fear is an 'unreal' problem and can/should be overcome.
INARI(FINLAND)
YouTube - Inarin kylnraitti http://inariexplorer.com

Last edited:
How you expect IMFL to be genuine when even our Coca Cola/Pepsi is not genuine and heavily mixed with pesticides:D

i think the cola -concept in many southguys( who runs to juice shop to avoid coke) is wrong ..i do agree the indicoke is not real coke and may harm in taken regularly.
The pesticides were in ground water of the pepsi maker ...for gods sake noone "heavily mixes" them in the drinks .

i think the cola -concept in many southguys( who runs to juice shop to avoid coke) is wrong ..i do agree the indicoke is not real coke and may harm in taken regularly.
The pesticides were in ground water of the pepsi maker ...for gods sake noone "heavily mixes" them in the drinks .

Not implying that someone is deliberately mixing pesticides in Coke/Pepsi.
But pesticiedes were/(are??) found in samples of Pepsi, meaning that their quality control is non-existent. And they are using gutter ka paani

Wandering aimlessly on the information superhighway, with youtube for company, I accidentally stumble on the General Lounge. And what do I find ? Members talking bout Beers and Whiskeys. (albeit, about whiskey in threads meant for beers and about beers in threads meant for whiskeys) with generous portions of religious discussions and music thrown in for good measure.

Single Malt vs Double Malts (If I could borrow the term from one of my very knowledgeable acquaintances) I don't mind either, cause I normally can only afford a Rum and Coke.

I do have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold Label carefully preserved with the hope that it will at some point in time, turn Blue.

The last time I was offered a drink of a 25 year old Royal Salute by a very generous friend of mine, I had the audacity to tell him that I liked the 18 year old Glenfiddich better. Interestingly, he took no offence, all the while agreeing with me and continuing to pour generous proportions into my glass. Guess maturity can on occasions be found outside of the bottle too.

Shopping for alcohol in my friendly neighborhood wine shop has become a very intimidating chore. The minute I enter this place, I am followed by someone with a wide grin holding a big wicker basket, all the while pointing me to the most expensive single malts and blends when all I want to do is buy a quarter of Rum for 55 bucks. And it make it even worse if am being followed by a pretty lass, as they are quite difficult to say no to. So, these days I take a friend along to prevent me from being enticed into buying the latest Single Malt from Amrut Distilleries costing 2000 rupees or so, a bottle.

And no, the above ramblings are not posted under the influence, most unfortunately, as now I only have this fever that I am nursing to blame.

Cheers,

Sunil

Last edited:
Wandering aimlessly on the information superhighway, with youtube for company, I accidentally stumble on the General Lounge. And what do I find ? Members talking bout Beers and Whiskeys. (albeit, about whiskey in threads meant for beers and about beers in threads meant for whiskeys) with generous portions of religious discussions and music thrown in for good measure.

Single Malt vs Double Malts (If I could borrow the term from one of my very knowledgeable acquaintances) I don't mind either, cause I normally can only afford a Rum and Coke.

I do have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold Label carefully preserved with the hope that it will at some point in time, turn Blue.

The last time I was offered a drink of a 25 year old Royal Salute by a very generous friend of mine, I had the audacity to tell him that I liked the 18 year old Glenfiddich better. Interestingly, he took no offence, all the while agreeing with me and continuing to pour generous proportions into my glass. Guess maturity can on occasions be found outside of the bottle too.

Shopping for alcohol in my friendly neighborhood wine shop has become a very intimidating chore. The minute I enter this place, I am followed by someone with a wide grin holding a big wicker basket, all the while pointing me to the most expensive single malts and blends when all I want to do is buy a quarter of Rum for 55 bucks. And it make it even worse if am being followed by a pretty lass, as they are quite difficult to say no to. So, these days I take a friend along to prevent me from being enticed into buying the latest Single Malt from Amrut Distilleries costing 2000 rupees or so, a bottle.

And no, the above ramblings are not posted under the influence, most unfortunately, as now I only have this fever that I am nursing to blame.

Cheers,

Sunil

hahaha! Sunil - you are a good man!:)

@Sunil
"I do have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold Label carefully preserved with the hope that it will at some point in time,turn Blue."

If you preserve it long enough,it won't turn into a Blue.Rather it will turn into a Black,then a Red and finally into a concoction resembling an Indian made foreign liquor.Whisky,like wine deteriorates when it comes into contact with air.The cork or seal of the unopened bottle will eventually let some air pass through and the whisky would start spoiling.In an open bottle as the level goes down,deterioration would be more rapid because of the presence of more air.Whisky evaporates,so if you don't drink it,it will gradually disappear anyway.There really is no reason to store bottled alcohol for very long.:)
So put on Beethoven's 9th Symphony and set the bottle rolling.Don't ruin it by adding soda/tap water/bad tasting mineral water/ice.Splurge on a bottle of natural spring water,Evian or at least Himalayan.
*And if possible exchange it for one or (better still) two bottlles of a single malt like Macallan,Balvenie,Laphroaig,Glenmorangie....
evian
Himalayan Natural Spring - FineWaters

Suri said:
hahaha! Sunil - you are a good man! :)

:)

Ajay,

My friends have been eying the bottle for a while now, not to exchange it with a Glenmorangie, but to polish it off with the nearest available mix of soda or water. So, my guess is that it might not be in the bottle for long enough for it to turn black and blue. :)

Regards,

Sunil

Ajay,

My friends have been eying the bottle for a while now, not to exchange it with a Glenmorangie, but to polish it off with the nearest available mix of soda or water. So, my guess is that it might not be in the bottle for long enough for it to turn black and blue. :)

Regards,

Sunil

With 60 ml of Gold Label and 200 ml of soda,water and ice,what one is drinking,is not a Gold Label anymore.It's the ghost of a Gold Label,because the whisky got drowned in water and suffered death by asphyxation.I would never serve a good whisky to a soda/cola fiend.For them I keep a separate stock of cheap hooch.Incidentally the Indian Rums are not so bad,better than the rest of the IMFL,and they go nicely with coke and ice.

With 60 ml of Gold Label and 200 ml of soda,water and ice,what one is drinking,is not a Gold Label anymore.It's the ghost of a Gold Label,because the whisky got drowned in water and suffered death by asphyxation.

I have a few stories to tell with regard to whiskies and their mixes. Probably sometime when am relaxed, nursing a whisky and listening to music that I like :)

Regards,

Sunil

On the side ... A quote I heard once...

"I always drink my whisky with water... And always drink my water with whisky!!!" ;)

Cheers

Studies by Dept. of Health & Dept. of Transport show that 23% of traffic accidents are Alcohol related....
Implying that 77% are done by the assho**s who just drink tea, coffee, colas, juices and shit like that. BEWARE of those who DON'T drink alcohol, they cause thrice as many accidents.

Studies by Dept. of Health & Dept. of Transport show that 23% of traffic accidents are Alcohol related....
Implying that 77% are done by the assho**s who just drink tea, coffee, colas, juices and shit like that. BEWARE of those who DON'T drink alcohol, they cause thrice as many accidents.

hehehe!!:)

here is a link to the effect of alcohol re traffic accidents - and other drugs

EMCDDA | Literature review on the relation between drug use, impaired driving and traffic accidents

ROFL good one!!

Saturday Night Fever had set in. So, I dropped in on a good friend. After a few pleasantries, we head straight to the bar. 'Lets have some Bells' my friend says with gusto. Now you have to know my friend. He loves his whisky so much that he collects more than he drinks. So, I was not too surprised when he pulled out a bottle that looked like it had been freshly dug out from his backyard. Although warning bells were sounding in my head, my desire to have a drink was stronger that my fear of being poisoned.

Out came two glasses, a peg measure and a bottle of mineral water. I was poured a sixty. Now came the delicate part. My friend is very particular as to whom he serves his whisky to and the manner in which it is to be had. So, in spite of acidity making the contents of my tummy defy gravity, I gingerly poured 30ml of water into the glass and took a whiff and a sip. I could say that it was fresh and fruity with hint of smoke to nose - fresh fruit and spicy balance, mellow with lingering pronounced smoke backtaste but I won't as I have no idea what all that means.

It has been a while since I have had a whisky as I have been on a rum and coke diet the advantage of which being that even a bell in a very old bottle did taste wonderful.

As the conversation continued and the glasses were refilled many a times, I ended up having a pleasant evening at my friends.

Last edited:
All you single malt lovers, have you tasted probably the only Indian single malt.

The distillery is based in the outskirts of Bangalore and called Amrut Distillery. Its not easily available in retail stores.

Attached is the link
::Amrut Distillery - Malt Peated Cask Strength Whisky

and also some reviews
WhiskyIntelligence.com Blog Archive Amrut Fusion Single Malt Whisky Wins the title of Worlds Third Best Whisky - whisky industry press releases, newsletters, events, tasting notes, bottlings and comments.

was voted the third best (not sure how you reach some rankings) in the world

All you single malt lovers, have you tasted probably the only Indian single malt.

The distillery is based in the outskirts of Bangalore and called Amrut Distillery. Its not easily available in retail stores.

Attached is the link
::Amrut Distillery - Malt Peated Cask Strength Whisky

and also some reviews
WhiskyIntelligence.com Blog Archive Amrut Fusion Single Malt Whisky Wins the title of Worlds Third Best Whisky - whisky industry press releases, newsletters, events, tasting notes, bottlings and comments.

was voted the third best (not sure how you reach some rankings) in the world

Been planning to get this since Jan , then simply stopped hard drinks in the last 4 months. But this is the only one postponed desire that makes me consider starting again ... Just because I did not fulfill it pronto when I discovered the reviews.... :(

Cheers

Back