Does Airtel DTH/Reliance Big TV DTH offer better picture than Tata?

DTH with best image quality

• Total voters
btw poll results carry no wait, i mean tata sky is better then tata sky+:rolleyes:

I think the poll results are a reflection not of image quality, but of market share. People (mostly) vote for the particular DTH provider they personally use - brand loyalty!

I think the poll results are a reflection not of image quality, but of market share. People (mostly) vote for the particular DTH provider they personally use - brand loyalty!

flawed assumption - I have Tata Sky - i voted for Airtel :p(in fact some channels on local cable looked better than tata sky reception actually)

i think that's not giving enough credit to the members of this forum. I own Tata Sky and I voted for Reliance, since the question is simply about picture quality, whereas, as an overall product I think Tata Sky+ is the best option.

Sorry if I have offended anyone's sensibilities, I was merely trying to ascribe a possible reason for adder's original statement - that more people think tatasky's image quality is better than the quality of tatasky+.

The only possible reason for this I can think of is that many more people have tatasky than the plus version. If anyone can give another reason then I'd be happy to stand corrected.:eek:

well from what i have seen, the worst interms of picture quality is DISH tv,from the poll that looks spot on.
i have big tv and airtel digital tv ,even though i prefer airtel overall,interms of picture quality BIG tv still has a comfortable edge.

well from what i have seen, the worst interms of picture quality is DISH tv,from the poll that looks spot on.
i have big tv and airtel digital tv ,even though i prefer airtel overall,interms of picture quality BIG tv still has a comfortable edge.

Thanks. Yes, I had Dish TV and it was horrible.

Dish had a weird contrast problem with ESPN at one point of time; where it was impossible to distinguish a white cricket ball from the pitch on which it was bowled!

Dish TV also used to mount their antennae on single arms that would flex on application of pressure, which meant that they were disastrous in bad weather. Then Tata Sky came in with their solid tripod mounts and Dish followed suit. Recently I thought I saw an Airtel dish on a single arm.....how are weather interference issues for Airtel users?

Thanks. Yes, I had Dish TV and it was horrible.

Dish had a weird contrast problem with ESPN at one point of time; where it was impossible to distinguish a white cricket ball from the pitch on which it was bowled!

Recently I thought I saw an Airtel dish on a single arm.....how are weather interference issues for Airtel users?

wells from 14 months of use with big tv and 8 months of use of airtel,i have witnessed occasional no signal due to rains message in big tv,only once in airtel digital tv.

how are weather interference issues for Airtel users?
During Cyclone Aila, my Airtel dish lost it's orientation. TataSky - no issues. They are fixed side by side on the topmost point on the roof of the building. All sides open.

It was fixed after 36 hours. The Airtel guys in my area said they had almost 200 similar calls after the cyclone. No idea about TataSky numbers.

can you confirm on the tripod / single arm (strut?) bit, as far as i can see the tripod is the most stable way to install the dish, and the single arm while it looks fancy, is nowhere near as stable. So can you tell me if the Airtel is a single arm or a tripod? (tata sky i know is always a tripod)

During Cyclone Aila, my Airtel dish lost it's orientation. TataSky - no issues. They are fixed side by side on the topmost point on the roof of the building. All sides open.

It was fixed after 36 hours. The Airtel guys in my area said they had almost 200 similar calls after the cyclone. No idea about TataSky numbers.

same experience for me as well. during aila my tata sky plus was running awesome! :) no issues at all.

Got Reliance Big TV... Uuuugh!

Just set up Reliance Big TV via component video and compared it to Tata Sky.

I just hate the Reliance picture! :mad:

It is just far too blocky; inspite of MPEG4, they still use too low a bit-rate for that to be an advantage over MPEG2.

Tata Sky also has blocky motion compensation artifacts, but Big TV is just plain offensive.

Checked channels like Nat Geo, Star Sports etc etc...

It is ironic that Big TV, Dish TV and Tatasky all take their customers for a ride by claiming low bit rate video to be "DVD Quality"

Take a properly mastered DVD, and you will never find a single motion compensation artifact on it!

And Reliance also seems to have some "step like jaggedness", which might be related to interlacing.

Re: Got Reliance Big TV... Uuuugh!

Just set up Reliance Big TV via component video and compared it to Tata Sky.

I just hate the Reliance picture! :mad:

It is just far too blocky; inspite of MPEG4, they still use too low a bit-rate for that to be an advantage over MPEG2.

Tata Sky also has blocky motion compensation artifacts, but Big TV is just plain offensive.

Checked channels like Nat Geo, Star Sports etc etc...

It is ironic that Big TV, Dish TV and Tatasky all take their customers for a ride by claiming low bit rate video to be "DVD Quality"

Take a properly mastered DVD, and you will never find a single motion compensation artifact on it!

And Reliance also seems to have some "step like jaggedness", which might be related to interlacing.

well first of all none of the DTH providers give DVD quality(except sun dth HD).secondly if u have a tv with poor de interlacer then the PQ will look kind a bad,since BIG tv or TS+ gives interlaced signal VIA component out.

Hi SandeepMohan,

I've same tv as yours - 29PT8836. Currently using local cable connection and not really happy with it. So want to know if Tata Sky HD is supported by 29PT8836 ? or if not Tata Sky HD then any other DTH ?

-Ravindra

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back