Does DishTV support multi channel audio over HDMI?

vij

Hey guys

I am planning on a complete home theatre setup. I would like to connect the dishTV HD STB to the receiver via a single HDMI cable and then connect receiver to projector. Wont be watching too much TV on projector, but when I do, I would like 5.1 ch audio for the HD channels that support it.

So my question is - will I get 5.1 audio doing that - basically, does DishTV support multi channel audio over HDMI?

Answer would be much helpful.

Last edited:
Actually I have a DishTV HD STB
And I havent been able to get the HDMI to receiver working at all

So currently I connect HDMI to TV directly and take optical out to receiver

It is a irritating workaround, but using different cables and different HDMI ports make no difference - just doesnt work

Dish TV does not provide 5.1 sound, it is stereophonic only hence no 5.1 pass through via HDMI
Tatasky, d2h, Airtel, Sun direct provide 5.1 support on their STB

I am sorry to say this, but why anyone subscribes to the technically retarded Dish TV, is beyond me. Even their Vice President - Technical has no clue as to what 5.1 audio, or for that matter even stereo audio is.

For me the box (and 3 months of HD channels) came free with the TV, so just continued with it
But since I am moving houses next month, maybe I should consider Tata Sky instead

Dishtv offers 5.1 over optical only and that too only in Movies Now channel. It is true 5.1 movie track and not fabricated from stereo. Using it for last 4 years

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back