Does it makes sense to buy a non working NAD C521 CD player for 1k INR?

That's a deal then. I will go ahead and buy it. Try to get it repaired and if it is irreparable then magma buys it :eek:hyeah:
Seems like a nothing to loose scenario :clapping:

fine, as long as the face looks presentable na?
you swallow the shipping though! - will probably be 350 bucks considering its about 8-9kgs

As the fate may have it, I finally went ahead and bought the non functional NAD C521 CDp at a price too enormous to mention ;)

The cosmetic condition of the CDp is quite good for the price I have paid for it. Though there are a bit of minor scratches on the body, the CDp looks quite fine.
I connected the CDp to the mains and powered it on. The LCD showed me No Disc message. I promptly inserted an ACD and waited to see what would happen. As expected, it didn't played the CD and the No Disc message again came up on the screen.

So the next obvious thing for me to do was to open it up. With a few screws missing (which holds the circuit board to the chassis), It was quite evident that it was opened up multiple times. But there was no visible sign of any vandalism inside. At a cursory glance all the parts seemed to be intact. I saw some transistors without heat sinks, though there was provision for a heat sink. I touched them while powered on and they felt cold so I was fine. Apart from it, everything looked fine to my eyes.

Trying to further investigate the problem with the player, I unscrewed the CD tray mechanism and observed that the CD loading mechanism works fine. The problem seemed to be with the Rotational Mechanism. The Lens and Optics also seemed fine to my untrained eyes. The exact problem with the player is that the CD doesn't rotates when loaded. The motor jerks for three times before the No Disc message pops up. I feel it should not be a big thing to fix this problem (just my wishful thinking).
Another positive thing was that the remote of my NAD C350 amp worked for this CDp as well :clapping:

Time for some family reunion photo :eek:hyeah: The CDp sitting on the top of the amp looked so good to my eyes. Even if the CDp doesn't work then also it will act as a good show piece :clapping:;)

As a plan B,i.e., if the CDp cannot be repaired then I am thinking of buying an amplifier board like this or a DAC circuit like this and housing it inside the cabinet.

Any pointers to good CP player repairing mechanic in Pune will be appreciated. A quick Google search has given me some repair centre details but I would like to go to someone who has a testimonial from any of our forum members.

Cheers

The exact problem with the player is that the CD doesn't rotates when loaded. The motor jerks for three times before the No Disc message pops up.
My guess is it could be as simple as damaged sensor which detects cd when cd tray closes. or tray is not properly closing in or lens problem try putting in few different discs or recorded cd. When you put in cd and tray closes try tapping the tray lightly.
I know previous owner may have tried to repair it but there is no harm in trying few simple things.

Any pointers to good CP player repairing mechanic in Pune will be appreciated. A quick Google search has given me some repair centre details but I would like to go to someone who has a testimonial from any of our forum members.
Cheers

The only repair person I know in Pune and who is not directly attached to any hifi shop is Mr. Sharat Advani. His contact number is 9890515000. Try your luck with him.

At this price, I think you may have what is termed a modder's delight. Once the motor starts working, you can experiment with changing opamps, clock circuit and some caps ... after careful trawling the net for other peoples examples :clapping:

At this price, I think you may have what is termed a modder's delight. Once the motor starts working, you can experiment with changing opamps, clock circuit and some caps ... after careful trawling the net for other peoples examples :clapping:

That's what I am planning to do. This is going to be my plaything for a while now. I will apply all the mods I have seen till now on the net, on this poor fellow <Insert Evil Laugh> :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::yahoo::yahoo:

actually, there is already a decent dac/ output stage inside your cdp. You can try to put a digital signal receiver, and maybe a switch. If CDP works, you flick the switch to CDP, and when using some other digital source, flick it to the other side.

actually, there is already a decent dac/ output stage inside your cdp. You can try to put a digital signal receiver, and maybe a switch. If CDP works, you flick the switch to CDP, and when using some other digital source, flick it to the other side.

That sounds like a good suggestion. But to implement it would require some hardcore electronics skills, which I lack currently. Alternatively, i'll have to find a knowledgeable guy who can help me with this implementation. Any extra hands?

How about converting it into a dishwasher also? :eek:hyeah: :rolleyes: :lol:

--G0bble

Why don't you change the entire cd dac and use the circuit of this cdp...only mechanical parts will be new...then u can enjoy the signature sound of this cdp....my way of thinking...request experts to put some light on other alternatives...

Why don't you change the entire cd dac and use the circuit of this cdp...only mechanical parts will be new...then u can enjoy the signature sound of this cdp....my way of thinking...request experts to put some light on other alternatives...

I am ready to change the mechanical parts provided I get hold of a good techinician. I dont mind spending a few more thousands on this to make it sing.

I am ready to change the mechanical parts provided I get hold of a good techinician. I dont mind spending a few more thousands on this to make it sing.

Just the service manual for this. Then after studying that you can make it working. As pointed by earlier member, it looks like some cd/tray sensor or misalignment issue. In either case you can buy complete mechanism from net. One case I faced this kind of issue with those wires strips, one of them was open in middle. This only controls were working and data was cut. check that too. If need any electronics help them I can provide once you get hold of service manual.

Just the service manual for this. Then after studying that you can make it working. As pointed by earlier member, it looks like some cd/tray sensor or misalignment issue. In either case you can buy complete mechanism from net. One case I faced this kind of issue with those wires strips, one of them was open in middle. This only controls were working and data was cut. check that too. If need any electronics help them I can provide once you get hold of service manual.

I have downloaded the service manual for the NAD C521i. I believe there shouldn't be much difference between the C521 and C521i models.
I am not able to attach the service manual PDF file here due to size restrictions (the pdf is of 1.8Mb). PM me your eMail Id, i'll send you the service manual. May be you can give me some leads.

One case I faced this kind of issue with those wires strips, one of them was open in middle.
This is a Good judgement. From pics looks like ribbon cable attached to moving lens may be the culprit. All one has to do is remove ribbon cable from pcb and check continuity of each connector with multimeter

This is a Good judgement. From pics looks like ribbon cable attached to moving lens may be the culprit. All one has to do is remove ribbon cable from pcb and check continuity of each connector with multimeter

Right, That may be the culprit. I think it will cost 20-30 INR for new. Worth replacing it for hopefully for a longer life.

Read this : NAD_521i_CD You might find it interesting!! :)

--G0bble

Seems like I have made the right decision by buying this player.
And as I had suspected, from the pictures i can see that a few heat sinks are indeed missing :mad:

Anyways, I have called up the techie guy as suggested by Sups. As per the description of the problem which I have given to him over the phone, he is expecting some fault in the lens system or the mechanism...or at worst both.

Seems like I have made the right decision by buying this player.
And as I had suspected, from the pictures i can see that a few heat sinks are indeed missing :mad:

Anyways, I have called up the techie guy as suggested by Sups. As per the description of the problem which I have given to him over the phone, he is expecting some fault in the lens system or the mechanism...or at worst both.

Be careful of the time you spend on this, time has a value which we take for granted. You could be better entertained (now) by spending the time with friends/family rather than listening to CDs from this player (future).

Be careful of the time you spend on this, time has a value which we take for granted. You could be better entertained (now) by spending the time with friends/family rather than listening to CDs from this player (future).

Its passion/addiction rather than entertainment that must be on Vivek's mind. The "kick" he will get when this CDP starts working cant be explained. One has to experience it.

I have lost endless hours in trying to make a LCD projector using 7"LCD Screen and various light sources. I failed twice and lost about 10k or more. But It was the journey that was extremely enjoyable .

Last edited:
Its passion/addiction rather than entertainment that must be on Vivek's mind. The "kick" he will get when this CDP starts working cant be explained. One has to experience it.

These are evil terms and have taken many a men to oblivion :D

Back