Does placing a sub-woofer in a wall-unit make sense?

icclearlee

Hi all,

I have locked in on Onkyo's HT-3300 and was thinking of getting a wall-unit custom-made(don't have any at the moment) to house the receiver and sub-woofer apart from my WD TV Live player and future adds (Tatasky HD STB/DVD player etc). Wanted to get a vote from experts whether housing the sub in a dedicated section (towards the room-corner) in the wall unit makes sense in order to keep it off the floor and getting slapped by the cleaning lady's wet 'katka'/'pocha' cloth.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions/observations.

No- eventually it will rattle and shake the cabinet, it will make stuff jingle when a BOOM happens... like Armageddon- when at the start the dinosaur extinction event is shown, you will be IRRITATED to the dinosaur level- with the cabinet noises.

Please dont.

Katka/pocha- this is India, my friend, and otherwise how will you upgrade to Thors Hammer, if this one doesnt spoil??

:p

KD

Last edited:
Just put it on the floor... And about the wet cloth part I told my maid that it will give shock if she goes anywhere near with that cloth coz its a huge transformer..... :lol:

Normally it is best to choose location of the sub on an empty plot of land then build your house around it. If the wall line coincides with the position of the sub then it will have to be strong enough to take the weight of the house. Better to make two subs as part of the foundation in that case...

Cheers

The bass would get overbearing if you place it in a corner. Place it in a acoustically suitable place. You can get a custom made cover fabricated out of thick plastic sheets to cover the sub and protect it from spills etc.

Gobble though there is some SUBstance in your post you know how very architecturally SUBversive that idea is..anyway for the OP..high frequencies tend to be specular..(imagine rays) whereas the sub output is diffracted (room dimensions hopefully being in the order of the wavelengths emitted from the sub)..the low frequencies spread out. so it doesn't really matter acoustically where you keep the sub .unless the kind of free masonary as insinuated by Gobble is what you want to indulge in...

Last edited:
Gobble though there is some SUBstance in your post you know how very architecturally SUBversive that idea is..anyway for the OP..high frequencies tend to be specular..(imagine rays) whereas the sub output is diffracted (room dimensions hopefully being in the order of the wavelengths emitted from the sub)..the low frequencies spread out. so it doesn't really matter acoustically where you keep the sub .unless the kind of free masonary as insinuated by Gobble is what you want to indulge in...

moktan -

unless you build the room around the available sub -

It does matter where you place the sub .

regds

Hey Moktan, now don't mislead the OP else he might sue in court and the matter will become SUBjudice. That will mean an end to this thread -- if we can't discuss it without being pulled up for contempt of court. :eek:hyeah:

Architecturally such a build is called a SUBmerged design. ;) i.e the house is Submerged!!

PS: When is "tounge-in-cheek" comment the same as a "sub-in-house" comment? But then "Home Sweet Home" is never the same as "Residence Sweet Residence" nor is it remotely connected to "Aum sweet Aum" :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back