Does the set volume of an amp effect the sound quality in any way?

scipath

I own a norge 2060 used to power two polk rti a3. The vendor commented that all amps sound best at min 40 % of their max volume. However in my case the speakers would be too loud. Recently purchased a minidsp which has its own (digital) master volume control. So would I gain any advantage by decreasing the master volume on the minidsp while keeping the volume knob on my amp at around 50%? or would that be worse because of digital noise it introduces?
Thanks.

I keep the source control on the higher side and amp on the lower side of volume control, to achieve desired volume. Lower volume setting on amp will mean less current to drive and possibly less distortion during amplification.

Source (Chromecast audio) to minidsp 2x4 hd. Two outputs of minidsp to speakers one output to subwoofer. I use minidsp for crossover at 80 hz and room eq.

Have you tried an external dac and feeding analog signal to minidsp?

I personally like to keep all volumes max right till the final amplifier stage.

MaSh

I presume you are using an integrated amp, so preamp is inbuilt in the amp.

Your miniDSP takes in 2 volt or 4 volt max input that can be set with a jumper.
The Chromecast outputs 2 volts.
So set the miniDSP to 2 volt with the jumper (which I think is the factory default).

Set max gain on both Chromecast and miniDSP. In miniDSP take care, some model have a +6db additional gain that can be set in the software window. Do not engage it.

Now play a track you are well versed and increase the volume on the amp and if it gets too loud within a very short span, lower the volume on the miniDSP till you get the right volume curve but no loss of details even at low listening volumes.
Similarly at higher volumes you should not get distortion.

I presume you are using an integrated amp, so preamp is inbuilt in the amp.

Your miniDSP takes in 2 volt or 4 volt max input that can be set with a jumper.
The Chromecast outputs 2 volts.
So set the miniDSP to 2 volt with the jumper (which I think is the factory default).

Set max gain on both Chromecast and miniDSP. In miniDSP take care, some model have a +6db additional gain that can be set in the software window. Do not engage it.

Now play a track you are well versed and increase the volume on the amp and if it gets too loud within a very short span, lower the volume on the miniDSP till you get the right volume curve but no loss of details even at low listening volumes.
Similarly at higher volumes you should not get distortion.
Thanks. Yes I do use an integrated amp. Also, I am taking TOSLINK out of Chromecast audio to minidsp.

Back