Dolby Digital plus on 5.1.2 (Atmos) speaker setup

ISO

Today I got pleasant surprise that Prime video are available on DD+. That means in a 7.1 setup I can utilise rear surround speakers. Now I'm torn between 7.1 and 5.1.2(Atmos) setup.

Suppose if I play DD+ on 5.1.2 speaker setup will the height speaker remains idle? If yes then it is bummer.

So what you suggest 7.1 or 5.1.2?

Note: I know very few tittles have Atmos on prime but they are available only on 4K titles. I have 1080P TV so can't take advantage of it.

Today I got pleasant surprise that Prime video are available on DD+. That means in a 7.1 setup I can utilise rear surround speakers. Now I'm torn between 7.1 and 5.1.2(Atmos) setup.

Suppose if I play DD+ on 5.1.2 speaker setup will the height speaker remains idle? If yes then it is bummer.

Note: I know very few tittles have Atmos on prime but they are available only on 4K titles. I have 1080P TV so can't take advantage of it.
If majority of your viewing will be OTT then you won’t benefit much from an atmos set up.

As in how is the playback done? I use a laptop which plays DD+ for netflix....for Amazon Prime through the installed windows app shows pcm 2.0

Good to know that Prime has DD+ audio. I have Sony 4K TV with Denon 7.1 setup. Can you please tell me which title has the DD+ audio, so I can also check this?

Good to know that Prime has DD+ audio. I have Sony 4K TV with Denon 7.1 setup. Can you please tell me which title has the DD+ audio, so I can also check this?
All tittles.

And the pleasant surprise it, on DD surround decoder (Yamaha) my height Atmos speaker come alive beautifully.

All tittles.

And the pleasant surprise it, on DD surround decoder (Yamaha) my height Atmos speaker come alive beautifully.
As far as I know we should use the DTS neural-X decoder for 5.1 or 7.1 contents in an atmos lay out. Other decoders will not upmix to height channels but rear surrounds. So what we will be hearing are rear surround speaker effects from height channels. I may be wrong with my assessment. If some one can clarify if Dolby surround will upmix height effects to height channels for 5.1 or 7.1 contents it will be helpful. For now since i know for fact DTs neural x upmixes height effects I am using it on non atmos contents but I do like the Dolby surround more. It’s soft and natural.

Last edited:
As far as I know we should use the DTS neural-X decoder for 5.1 or 7.1 contents in an atmos lay out. Other decoders will not upmix to height channels but rear surrounds. So what we will be hearing are rear surround speaker effects from height channels. I may be wrong with my assessment. If some one can clarify if Dolby surround will upmix height effects to height channels for 5.1 or 7.1 contents it will be helpful. For now since i know for fact DTs neural x upmixes height effects I am using it on non atmos contents but I do like the Dolby surround more. It’s soft and natural.
I accidentally selected "Auto" decoder mode that automatically selected 'DD Surround' decoder that not only made atmos height speaker alive but also made dialogue clear and loud. Before I was using '7 channel stereo' bur that was not very effective. Also on Atmos real movies it selects Atmos mode, no need to select 'Straight' mode.

pl. see the description of decodes on Yamaha.

Last edited:

Note: I know very few tittles have Atmos on prime but they are available only on 4K titles. I have 1080P TV so can't take advantage of it

5.1.2.will be better than 7.1 .

I remember that on prime ,not all movies have DD+ 5.1 track .Some has DD+ 2.0 too.

Any case U can utilise Dolby surround or dts Neural X for upmixing ,so that the height speakers will be utilised on appropriate scenes. Good luck!

Bro, jokes apart, what's the best way to get 5.x.2/4 content?
Original BRs are the only way?

Shows- Apple TV+, Netflix & few movies on Hotstar, i get Atmos & my setup is 5.2.2
I also have 4k blu-ray's & 4k bluray player( CA CXUHD) Most films i got are in Atmos or DTS HD MA.

The Tomorrow War, Carnival Row, The Wheel of Time and a couple of other movies/shows on Amazon Prime play Atmos natively on my Fire TV 4K Max through a Marantz NR1710 receiver.

ATV+ is almost entirely ATMOS
Netflix, pretty much any new release is ATMOS

Other than that Prime also has limited titles and so does Hotstar (even more limited though)
and with new Atmos coming up everyday on Netflix, I do experience an improvement on how Dolby is used.
Even those Korean shows with Atmos have a very good Atmos effects

Nesama thaan solriyaa?! :D
(You really mean that?!)
Hahah missed this post. Yeah for my ears OTT (Netflix,Amazon and hot star) is absolute garbage compared to Bluray contents or the remux files. Majority of the contents sound thin, compressed and the height effects are pathetic in atmos contents. I have tested it with shield,shied pro,PS4,Sony bdp4500 and Sony x 700. I find it so horrible that I even unplug my avr and watch most OTT contents only using the TV speakers. Tomorrow Wars had some good sound mix but the center Chanel was to weak. Don’t have to take my word for it. Just play the same movie with an atmos mix in OTT and compare the same with blu ray. You will never go back to OTT again.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back