Doordarshan HD transmission Started

Screenshot taken at around 4pm.

ddhd0817155816cybersurf.png

Okay, that's badly shot but the colour is dull and it looks as if they're using edge enhancement to sharpen the image. DD HD badly need to learn a few things from NGHD and Discovery HD World.

Is it in Tata Sky?

No, I just checked. DD HD is not listed on the TS HD guide, yet. I think he's using a computer based system to view DD HD.

jatinsoni200654 said:
@KDM FROM ESPN HD Too :p

I'm temporarily letting DD HD of the hook by not comparing them to ESPN HD - ESPN HD looked way too good when it was being broadcast, unfortunately, they're not telecasting, right now so... :p

sanjay0864 said:
That looks awful. Someone please tell me that logo looks like that due to some screen capture issues. God save the games coverage if it is going to look anythign like this.

+1 This looks completely unacceptable. :sad:

I wish I could tell you that, but I think the logo looks like that due to DD's ineptness/inexperience (take your pick) with HD, rather than capture issues. The picture, though badly shot, looks bland - to say the least! I still cannot believe that they're using noticable edge ehancement for the HD broadcast. :mad:

EDIT: I hate to be so rectal, but it's been bothering me, so here goes: they badly need to change the DD HD logo, it really looks ugly!

Cybersurfer, do you have any idea of the data rate being using for PQ/sound by DDHD and the codecs involved for both? Also, is it possible for you to post a two or three minute .TS clip? I'd like to see what this looks like on my TV.

Last edited:
No, I just checked. DD HD is not listed on the TS HD guide, yet. I think he's using a computer based system to view DD HD.

<snip>

Cybersurfer, do you have any idea of the data rate being using for PQ/sound by DDHD and the codecs involved for both? Also, is it possible for you to post a two or three minute .TS clip? I'd like to see what this looks like on my TV.

Yeah I'm using a DVB-S tv tuner. Since DD is using DVB-S for this channel the overall bitrate is ~11.6 Mbps. It varies from 11.2 to 11.6. Video is AVC ([email protected]) and audio is HE-AAC 5.1. They tested video only for a few minutes that day and I had issues in properly decoding them. Not yet sure whether it was my codecs or the transmission really had issues as I didn't get much time to test different codecs. Currently this is how DD HD looks:

dvbviewer.png

If you want a .ts of this, reply. They are broadcasting audio feed of some other channel with this test screen now.

Although I would prefer moving images, I would not say no to the colour bar with audio. Two odd minutes should be enough, I think. If anything, it will provide some insight into DD HD's audio quality.

Although I would prefer moving images, I would not say no to the colour bar with audio. Two odd minutes should be enough, I think. If anything, it will provide some insight into DD HD's audio quality.

No audio at the moment. Will provide a sample when the audio is back but don't expect much they are just using audio of some of their other channels. Sometimes in this channel you can hear 2 different audio streams at the same time (overlapping).

No audio at the moment. Will provide a sample when the audio is back but don't expect much they are just using audio of some of their other channels. Sometimes in this channel you can hear 2 different audio streams at the same time (overlapping).

They weren't kidding when they stated that they were "testing" out the HD systems. It looks to me as if they're early in the testing stages of DD HD. I wonder if they will be able to complete testing/setting up their equipment in time for the Commonwealth Games.

Come November, the Our Sound contest (the Asian version of the Eurovision Song Contest) is supposedly taking place in Mumbai if this site is to be believed: Our Sound - The Asia-Pacific Song Contest - Mumbai 2010 I would imagine that DD is the host broadcaster and will therefore be transmitting that in HD as well.

any body have any idea abt this.

No it's NOT on TATA-SKY. There's little or no content being shown on that channel right now, so it's pointless for the DTH operators to waste bandwidth by continuously transmitting the colour bar.

I have got a sample .ts; will upload it tonight and provide you a link. But that recording has a lot of glitches. My PC is a fairly old one and you will laugh at me if I mention the GPU, it's a GeForce 6200LE lol. So no hardware acceleration for H264 HD. I'm not yet sure whether this is the reason for glitchy video but CPU usage floats around 70 - 86. I'm trying different codecs and the Mainconcept's AVC/H264 Broadcast Decoder and their AAC decoder are the only ones properly decoding this stream. Mainconcept AAC decoder is the only one properly decoding the audio. CoreAVC is hit and miss. WMP 12 with Microsoft's default codec will play the video but no audio.

DVBViewer + Mainconcept's AVC/H264 Broadcast Decoder + Mainconcept AAC decoder gives the best results for me at the moment.

That horrifying DD HD logo was absent today. Now the channel is back to showing the colour band screen and no audio.
Screenshots:

01ddhd0820220900.jpg

02ddhd0820221003.jpg

03ddhd0820202255.jpg

04ddhd0820202445.jpg

05ddhd0820220824.jpg

Last edited:

Downloaded it. MediaInfo reads the fileinfo like this:

Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 168 MiB
Duration : 2mn 2s
Overall bit rate : 11.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 510 (0x1FE)
Menu ID : 1100 (0x44C)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Maximum bit rate : 9 707 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First

Audio
ID : 610 (0x262)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Maximum bit rate : 196 Kbps
Video delay : -1s 414ms
Language : English

Menu
ID : 110 (0x6E)
Format : AVC / AAC
List : 510 (0x1FE) (AVC) / 610 (0x262) (AAC, eng)
Language : / eng
BitRate_Maximum : 9902800

But there's severe stuttering/freezing when playing the file on a BDP-S370 although the counter updates smoothly. I didn't expect the audio at play at all, given the AAC codec, but the stuttering is what's got me puzzled. I will try it on my PS3, which is lying around disconnected since I got the S-370, later, and report back.

Last edited:
Downloaded it. MediaInfo reads the fileinfo like this:

But there's severe stuttering/freezing when playing the file on a BDP-S370 although the counter updates smoothly. I didn't expect the audio at play at all, given the AAC codec, but the stuttering is what's got me puzzled. I will try it on my PS3, which is lying around disconnected since I got the S-370, later, and report back.

Just tried it on the PS3. Severe blocking is present, but there's no stuttering. The audio still does not play. Anyway, was able to view the full clip and while the picture looks more vivid than the caps do here. I felt that resolution and (especially) colour punch are way off when compared with the best NGC HD or Discovery HD world have on offer. DD will have to pull it's socks right up if they want to make a success of the Commonwealth Games - so far I'm not seeing anything that remotely looks like the World Cup or Wimbledon.

One more thing, while the nominal bit rate is around 11 MBPS, the actual bitrate was more like 12-13 MBPS, according to the PS3. The transmission should look okay at that bitrate. It's strange... :sad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back