Down Firing vs Front Firing subs

Mayank Shah

Hello, Although a lot of information on this on the web, hoping fellow FM's can shed real light on the SQ / effect of a Down firing sub having a front-firing passive radiator for music.

I liked downfiring personally :D:D with my limited experience.

Having said that, there are too many brands and models out there, and its not correct to come to a conclusion by comparing front firing from one brand and down firing from another brand. Because we never know if the difference is only because of orientation.

Better way to judge in my opinion is .... take a single sub and orient it both front firing and down firing and then compare the performance.
(of course we need to do some diy stuff to place the temporary legs etc)

Hello, Although a lot of information on this on the web, hoping fellow FM's can shed real light on the SQ / effect of a Down firing sub having a front-firing passive radiator for music.

My experience:

JBL SCS 140 8 inch sub.....Down firing and front ported......could give out 40hz lows.....if placed in corners....some more low frequencies achieved (2 yrs)

Bose 321 compact stereo 2.1 system...........down firing sub (internally) with front port......good 30hz bass........ (15 months)

Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 8 inch down firing ....bottom ported.....achieved 35hz and depending on placement....sounded more lower....(18 months)

Boston Acoustics ASW 650.....10 inch front firing sub with front port.......achieved 28hz and even lower....one of the best and smoothest subs I ever owned. (2 years)

BIC America H100ii....... Front firing and rear ported.......excellent sub for a 12 inch which went as low as 24/25hz........(18 months)

BIC America PL 200 (Series 1) Front Firing and rear ported.....awesome sub for 12 inch.....(I liked the H100ii more only upgraded for more sub power). (2 years and going strong)

Bottom line it is said that sealed subs with / without passive radiators work well for music....yes they do...to a certain extent......

Ported is best suited for movies.......I say yes....and also for music...provided placement and content is appropriate....

There are many who make subs out there ...lots of business and marketing.....it all ends on what pleases your ears and wallet.....

Audition is key and so are end user reviews........

I prefer front firing subs without ports. A lot depends on your flooring as well as wooden floors sometimes cause reverberations. The sealed subs may not produce the SPL of ported designs but their bass is more accurate and tight.

If you’re planning on placing your subwoofer close to your main speakers, or underneath your TV then it may be worth investing in a front-firer. Away from your speakers? At the side or in the corner of the room? Go for down-firing. But again, this isn’t a decision which makes a major impact, and in this case, consider what we are saying as general guidelines rather than hard rules.

When l tried some subs,l feel downfiring fills the low friequency gap easily than front firing.Yes Bass below 80hz is not directional though.Front firing subs can be fast and puchy.l remember when l was at FM house and he was not getting right effect from downfiring sub,we just turned it to make front firing and bass became tight.
Position of sw is also important.

Am using 4 x 12 inch DIY sealed subs in my room.. A pair of down firing subs mounted to ceiling, drivers facing downwards (to the floor) and a pair of front firing subs behind the Acoustic Transparent screen(facing the listening position)..

Like them for music / movies..

If anyone interested in a top firing push pull design, I can share the basic design here. With right drivers, it can hit as low as 16hz and will be more placement friendly.
i have two 10" bass drivers. Would love to build ur idea :D:D

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back