Downgrade path...

This is a nice topic I think.

The idea isn't mine though

Most of us look at upgrades and are finicky and determined about the next purchase.

Well.. If you ever had to downgrade to

1 source
1 amplifier
1 stereo pair speaker

( Let's not get cables into this..

Sorry guys.. ;) )

What would they be ?

Regards
Since you say "next purchase" I assume you already have a decent setup, so with that in mind:

"I don't know what it would be but surely it will be s***load more expensive than what you already have" :p
(I know, it's not very helpful but hey -- it is funny and true to some extent, I guess)

The Acoustic Portrait Kavi with one of their Thiyaga DACs is very tempting.

Well, anything from them, really :D

For my taste of music. I would settle with
Marantz CD63 KI signature
Pioneer 400A or Sansui AU 217
Philips full range speaker with diy cabinet.

The Acoustic Portrait Kavi with one of their Thiyaga DACs is very tempting.

Well, anything from them, really :D

How about just halting the constant upgrade cycle instead of actively downgrading? Being content in whatever we currently have? Over the period of years your current rig will look like a downgrade anyways... (pun unintended)!

Sometimes who knows, you may be already having the best gear for a new trend which is just a resurgence of the old? Like vinyl (like you have a good vinyl setup and you impulsively didn't upgrade to digital format) for example...

How about just halting the constant upgrade cycle instead of actively downgrading? Being content in whatever we currently have? Over the period of years your current rig will look like a downgrade anyways... (pun unintended)!

Sometimes who knows, you may be already having the best gear for a new trend which is just a resurgence of the old? Like vinyl (like you have a good vinyl setup and you impulsively didn't upgrade to digital format) for example...

I assume this is a general statement and not specifically in response to my post.
My post was in response to OP's inital post which went "..If you ever had to downgrade.."

If the downgrade is for financial reasons, I think I would ditch the car for a two wheeler and keep the audio rig ;)

If for simplicity, then the old Sony Hifi would be ideal.

This is a nice topic I think.

The idea isn't mine though

Most of us look at upgrades and are finicky and determined about the next purchase.

Well.. If you ever had to downgrade to

1 source
1 amplifier
1 stereo pair speaker

( Let's not get cables into this..

Sorry guys.. ;) )

What would they be ?

Regards

For more clarity, when you say downgrade, what do you mean ?

1. A state with diminished sound quality but lesser outlay and lesser components.
2. A state where the sound quality remains similar but with lesser components. Same outlay.
3. A state where you want better sound quality but with lesser components ( sometimes less is more and can be costlier ). You don't mind more outlay.

I am also thinking of downgrading myself from 4000 odd lps to selected 500 lps, 1000 CDs to 200 CDs, bunch of tube/SS amps to couple of good ones, 5 very good TTs to best of two and godown full of vintage speakers and horns to a humble Fieldcoil based horn system.;):)

I am also thinking of downgrading myself from 4000 odd lps to selected 500 lps, 1000 CDs to 200 CDs, bunch of tube/SS amps to couple of good ones, 5 very good TTs to best of two and godown full of vintage speakers and horns to a humble Fieldcoil based horn system.;):)
- Shafic, that's such a humble way to brag :p!!!

I am also wanting to cut down on the vinyl and CDs.
Only thing is don't know where to start.
Can't even resist buying more. :confused:

I think downgrade means simple and hassel free system with equally good sound quality in OPs post regards. For me downgrade will be....
Bluesound powernode 2i with KEF Q150 help by 8 inch sealed active subwoofer.

Naughty boy Shafic !

Very curious on the vintage speakers you have !

I am also wanting to cut down on the vinyl and CDs.
Only thing is don't know where to start.
Can't even resist buying more. :confused:

I also need to "cull" my vinyl collection, and like you, I also don't know where to start. Luckily I've been able to resist buying more vinyl. But CDs I still buy.

I have taken a giant leap. Got LG phone with better dac. Now to streaming everything from songs stored on home pc via upnp server on the go anywhere and a good compatible earphones.

Alternatively, after squarewave posted review of active speakers from AP I am tempted to look at them. I have an EAR 864 preamp still unsold.

My downgrade would be the Sony HiFi specifically Model Sony FH7-MKII.
Since it has a audio in, one simple digital source to access new formats. That is it. A Sony cdp40 etc.

Yes.. Down size is the right word.
Possibly the most minimalistic approach would be a pair of active speakers with inbuilt HDD and streaming option.
Control from either phone or browser
Yes like kannan said this is downsize. It's hard to accept a downgrade unless you make a pause to hobby for several months or a year. Our expectations will slowly go down as human mind cannot remember a sound that long. I mean remember exactly a sound. vaguely , it's possible.

If I have to downgrade it would be to a pair of beoplay a1 bluetooth speakers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back