Downloaded Music SQ

^^ On papers yes maybe but technically not possible, Audio information once lost is lost you can not get it back by converting MP3 to FLAC ......

^^ On papers yes maybe but technically not possible, Audio information once lost is lost you can not get it back by converting MP3 to FLAC ......
Think you have not understood ..What was asked was regarding upconverted MP3 to FLAC....This is very much possible and has been discussed on various fora ....It appears that there is no fool proof way to detect via software..There have been references to some software like Tau Analyzer / seeing spectrum etc...
What you are saying is that information lost cannot be recovered. ..Which is true ..and which is not being debated.

yea the deciding single most factor. As I said MP3s can not be more than 320kbps ... :)

Use apps like Media Coder to convert almost any format to any format including to FLAC or WAVE. So mp3 can be converted to lossless compression or uncompressed but that doesn't mean it's going to recover the losses it had suffered in the compression process.

CD/Vinyl===>Ripped to Flac :yahoo:
CD/Vinyl===>Ripped to MP3===> transcoded to Flac :annoyed:

till now...I could not find a means to identify or verify which flac is which?

bitrate and sampling rate doesn't do much help here...

CD/Vinyl===>Ripped to Flac :yahoo:
CD/Vinyl===>Ripped to MP3===> transcoded to Flac :annoyed:

till now...I could not find a means to identify or verify which flac is which?

bitrate and sampling rate doesn't do much help here...

A workaround the dilemma is, like I said - Look for TQMP "seal" and be assured. Its like the Desi "Ughmark!" assurance of Kawaality. :)

Cheers

take EAC rips with checksum ..or use your ears

My two piasters on that.

Since, it is established that the originality can not be established technically, I will point out certain indicators:-

1. Once you listen, you can make out the difference.

2. One may also go though the comments of other downloaders, sometimes it does say about the quality.

3. The mp3 downloads normally do not have additional info viz sleeves, cue sheet and pic sets.

4. Its safer to download .FLAC images (IMO) as I think one can not convert mp3 to .FLAC image by a converter. Unless someone is crazy enough to convert mp3-FLAC and then create an image file.

Use apps like Media Coder to convert almost any format to any format including to FLAC or WAVE. So mp3 can be converted to lossless compression or uncompressed but that doesn't mean it's going to recover the losses it had suffered in the compression process.

Think you have not understood ..What was asked was regarding upconverted MP3 to FLAC....This is very much possible and has been discussed on various fora ....It appears that there is no fool proof way to detect via software..There have been references to some software like Tau Analyzer / seeing spectrum etc...
What you are saying is that information lost cannot be recovered. ..Which is true ..and which is not being debated.

Well there is no way you can up convert an audio file. Converting MP3 to FLAC might feed in more bits and the application might show 1000kbps, but that does not mean the audio gets its information back, the inserted bits are nothing but empty.
Also per the OPs original query and stereorules insight I did some research and it does seems that even mediainfo does not provide accurate information AFA bits and sampling is concerned and hence can not be used for FLAC authentication. mediainfo just shows what the a media file property would have (eg 1400kbps for WAV), which is misleading. I apologies for pointing people in that direction.

However I sill managed to get hold of an application which actually is able to differentiate between an authentic FLAC (done through CD rip) or just an MP3 conversion. This time I did my own research and the application seems to work well and best part its free ..... its called AudioChecker. Just open any audio file and click on Start. Also when you will load the application it would give a small win32 error,which can be ignored. After a few seconds, the application will give the result if the audio is actual CD rip FLAC or just converted MP3 (mpeg) FLAC, with color codes as well ....."Green" means Original RIP FLAC, "Yellow" means fake MP3 converted FLAC.

Following are the screen shots for the same

1. Original FLAC ( the same which I posted an an example with mediainfo)
you can see that it clearly says "Track is CDDA with probability 100%". Also note the color code which is green

originalflac.jpg

2. Second example is a track which I myself converted from MP3 to FLAC and tested on this application. You can again clearly see it says "Track is MPEG". color code here also is Yellow, indicating its a fake FLAC

fakeflac.jpg

Hope this should solve the original MP3, fake FLAC confusion... :)

Last edited:
My two piasters on that.

Since, it is established that the originality can not be established technically

It can be, as stated above ....:), BTW thanks for bringing this topic, made me throw (well not exactly throw, ..:) ) , my mediainfo apps. It does provide handful of information though .....:)

However I sill managed to get hold of an application which actually is able to differentiate between an authentic FLAC (done through CD rip) or just an MP3 conversion.

Thanks a ton. At last somebody is with info. Just wondering how the software could determine? Or I am stretching it too far...? :cool:

Thanks Sam. The application works beautifully and it does not even need to be installed. Except for one of my Eagles album it shows an error. I have to work out what that means.

Cheers

^^ that's the crux of getting noticed .....presentation ....isnt it ......:D :D .... BTW I missed esantosh post else I might have just posted my experience with the tool ....

^ I wouldn't have noticed my two line post either ;)

It was not about getting noticed / credit, more about what I linked to. Otherwise, I & Sam restrict our competition to iCheckMovies where Sam is winning by a huge margin. It would take a year for me to catch up with him now :(. Movies! Here I come again!

^^ Hey I didnt notice you are the same esantosh of icheckmovie .....lol :D ...... welcome friend ....:) ..... BTW my icheckmovies is still short couple of 100 movies as those I did not rate on IMDB neither did I note them in my diary .... :)

I am the same everywhere ;). I don't like to confuse myself with too many IDs for forums / sites. Good that you forgot! Hope I catch up with you before you remember them :D

We will be back on topic shortly....

Hi Guys,

Any idea about the sound levelling? My collection was ripped during various times with different software and a part of it is downloaded.

I dont like the ups and downs in volume from song to song. Normally there is hardly any difference but sometimes it varies drastically and a real irritant.

Questions:-

1. What is the best method of applying sound levelling to FLACs? I mean which software?

2. Is it at all advisable to do so? I mean, is the FLAC quality going to be affected?

3. Is it necessary to keep the original files after sound levelling? With FLACs the space is at premium.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back