Downloaded Music SQ

TaureanBull

Guys,

I have a reasonable amount of downloaded music. Most of it is claimed FLAC version and even some of them ripped FLACs from LPs. They are real heavy files and I have accumulated over a period of time. Reason : Sadly I can not afford to buy so many of them. So this shortcut.

How does one ascertain the SQ of these downloads. Of coure my ears! Another one could be to listen with original one. Thats too far fetched. All this collection do sound good and better than the mp3s.

Of late I found that there are FLACs available on internet which were upconverted from mp3! :sad:

I am unduly worried on the issue? Shall I keep trusting my ears? Any other means to confirm the originality of FLACs?

Last edited:
As long as you keep your purchases limited to the established sources (HDTracks, 2L, etc.), you should be fine. If you do find a new source, you just might have to search around the Internet for customer reviews before shelling out the moolah, I suppose...

Yeah thanks. it looks like it has been discussed. But like many other threads in the forum the title is deceiving. Many a times the discussion shifts!

Anyways, I am pretty happy with my downloaded FLACs. I can make out the difference between a downloaded FLAC and MP3. I even have a large amount of LP rips with covers! :yahoo:

Anyways, I am pretty happy with my downloaded FLACs. I can make out the difference between a downloaded FLAC and MP3. I even have a large amount of LP rips with covers! :yahoo:

Any trusted website for downloading FLACs?

Check PM I have just sent.

not sure if its legal to discuss such things here.

Its not if you share download links or discuss how to pirate. We are addressing a different concern here that is the general worthiness of stuff online globally without referring to which one specifically.

To answer the original posters query I used to only do the flac downloads tagged as TQMP. Total Quality Music Project. The download links for these have a txt log of the EAC ripping session.

HTH

Its not if you share download links or discuss how to pirate. We are addressing a different concern here that is the general worthiness of stuff online globally without referring to which one specifically.

To answer the original posters query I used to only do the flac downloads tagged as TQMP. Total Quality Music Project. The download links for these have a txt log of the EAC ripping session.

HTH

I was the original poster. ;) I just answered to the individual who asked for a reference to the downloading site.

Thanks for the info. I did not know about TQMP.

Last edited:
I was the original poster. ;) I just anwered to the individual who asked for a reference for the downloading site.

Thankas for the info. I did not know about TQMP.

Oops! So YOU are the illegal crook out to destroy the world by upsetting the capitalist order and circumventing copyrights and protection?!!! :D You need to be tagged by the ear and Radio Collared!! :eek:hyeah:

How can you even think of committing such a heinous crime against the rest of us peace loving humanity? ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Guys,

I have a reasonable amount of downloaded music. Most of it is claimed FLAC version and even some of them ripped FLACs from LPs. They are real heavy files and I have accumulated over a period of time. Reason : Sadly I can not afford to buy so many of them. So this shortcut.

How does one ascertain the SQ of these downloads. Of coure my ears! Another one could be to listen with original one. Thats too far fetched. All this collection do sound good and better than the mp3s.

Of late I found that there are FLACs available on internet which were upconverted from mp3! :sad:

I am unduly worried on the issue? Shall I keep trusting my ears? Any other means to confirm the originality of FLACs?

Well checking the quality of media files before downloading is impossible :D ...lol but yes once you have the file on disk, you can check its details through a small free tool called "Mediainfo", this tool gives you all the details for a media file like bitrate, sampling rate etc, plus loads of other relevant information as well. An unconverted MP3 would easily be detected via this tool. Following is an example of how the information looks for a downloaded FLAC file....

20110301112301.jpg

^ Can you give an example of how a MP3 up-converted into FLAC looks like in MediaInfo? I am curious about where it will differ.

^ Can you give an example of how a MP3 up-converted into FLAC looks like in MediaInfo? I am curious about where it will differ.

the bit rate ..... you cannot change/upconvert the bit rate from say 320kbps to 1000kbps
MP3 can be max 320kbps...

Last edited:
If you sending info on FLAC download, include me as well ...... :) ...can you :)

the bit rate ..... you cannot change/upconvert the bit rate from say 320kbps to 1000kbps
MP3 can be max 320kbps...
But a FLAC can have a bitrate of 1000kbps...So if I say convert from MP3 to FLAC, I can upconvert from 320 to 1000 kbps...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back