DTH for Plasmatv

If going with TataSky HD, then I would strongly suggest getting the TataSky+ HD. For around 1.5k extra over the regular HD STB, you get a dual tuner recorder with 500GB of disk space.

-- no1lives4ever

I am usinf Tata Sky HD with LG50PK550 and am happy with it.
If you want more HD channels Look at SunHD or Airtel but Hassle free service is only with Tata Sky. I have not faced a single issue for the past 8 Months.

HD channels looks good but are only few, Sports events are HD and offered at lower cost than other DTH, eg, Current ICC WC is 65 on Tata Sky and 150 On Dish. so more cost effective.

Big TV is supposed to be best PQ but service is equally bad.

You need to decide between Expected PQ and Service provided.

My vote Tata SKY HD DVR. ( HD only is not offered now)

go for dish tru hd if you want the best PQ on HD channels. Cost will be more of course, at least ~ 440 INR per month if you have to take minimum HD channel pack (since ~ 340 is the charge for Platinum SD pack which is mandatory and 100 for the HD pack). check their website for the package details.

Dish is #hd and not true HD, Supposedly they upscale the channel and then rebroadcast it. This essentially reduces the quality since there equipment sucks.

There is an entire thread on the same in the forum, you can search.

Tata sky is not far behind in this and have there own fake #hd channel of star plus.

There is also point that tata sky will be launching, star Plus, start movies, star world and 1 more channel in HD, that shall be tru HD. But is still wait and watch and it seem it shall be exclusive to tata sky.

i would suggest Airtel HD purely based on channel counts. they have shifted over to new sattelite and are quite bullish on no of channels that are on offer.

for service ofcource, it is awful (the customer care). you need to be really patient as i ahve a feeling their cc ppl are grossly ill informed. you may refer my other post for my experience with them. but, i have read a lot about TS PQ in this forum and was surprised to hear about the degradation in TS for a wrong policy decision of sourcing their HD DVR (for TS HD plus) from a bad supplier which is having scalling issues with sd channels.

on price front, Airtel would cost less (may be thats where they cover up for poor services).

to conclude, one just has to be positive that they may never need to call up for services at all as these are the abnormal situations. in normal running conditions, go for Airtel

all the best

Agree with Hemanth. Go for HD STB since even SD channels look better with HD boxes. The difference is perceptible in case of TataSky to which I am a witness.

You must be kidding, Dish TruHD and quality, sounds like a misnomer. Dish TruHD does not even have DD 5.1 audio and their concept of HD is simply distorting the aspect ratio to fit a 16:9 screen and calling it HD. Dish TruHD is actually 'Dish Fraud HD'.

There is a thread about Tata Sky's HD PQ and people who have used both side by side report that Dish TruHD actually has better PQ and better SQ on the SD channels.

In terms of PQ of HD channels, the TataSky+ HD DVR provides much lower quality than what I can remember from my Dish TruHD experience.

Having said all that, the incremental PQ advantage of Dish HD service does not cover for the bad quality of the STB and for me the excessive high price of their subscription.

I would suggest everyone to check out the TataSky HD service. The PQ might not be the best, but overall the product experience has been excellent for me. I have been a TS subscriber for 4 years now and I have not faced a single issue with either the SD or the HD service from them. The only problem with TataSky is that these days their PQ for SD channels is very bad, so on a big TV, it does not look very great to me. It is barely watchable. HD channels look great and unless you do a critical comparison, you will not find many faults with TataSky's HD service.

-- no1lives4ever

There is a thread about Tata Sky's HD PQ and people who have used both side by side report that Dish TruHD actually has better PQ and better SQ on the SD channels.

In terms of PQ of HD channels, the TataSky+ HD DVR provides much lower quality than what I can remember from my Dish TruHD experience.

Having said all that, the incremental PQ advantage of Dish HD service does not cover for the bad quality of the STB and for me the excessive high price of their subscription.

I would suggest everyone to check out the TataSky HD service. The PQ might not be the best, but overall the product experience has been excellent for me. I have been a TS subscriber for 4 years now and I have not faced a single issue with either the SD or the HD service from them. The only problem with TataSky is that these days their PQ for SD channels is very bad, so on a big TV, it does not look very great to me. It is barely watchable. HD channels look great and unless you do a critical comparison, you will not find many faults with TataSky's HD service.

-- no1lives4ever

Thanks for pointing this out. Even I made my opinion by looking at the TS thread http://www.hifivision.com/digital-c...y-launches-tata-sky-hd-just-rs-3999-a-43.html and after being a Dish (SD) owner for 4 yrs. Trust me the customer service of Dish was so bad at one point of time that I had discontinued the service twice after becoming frustrated. However since last November when I have renewed it once again I have to say they have improved a lot that what they used to be. Especially activating channels/packages and resolving matters related to charging etc. The SD channels look great on my 50V20 even with the old Zenega STB which I am using since 2007. Recently the STB got a Over The Air firmware upgrade as well improving the UI. If you watch the normal channels (STB connected using RCA to 50V20 ) the upscaling artifacts are visible to some extent especially if you look at the channel logo, otherwise it is good.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back