Duped by Samsung service in replacing 64F8500 Plasma panel.

sanjay0864

Barely three months after I got the 64F8500, it all of a sudden developed a 4" vertical black bar from top to bottom, slightly to the right of the center of the screen. Samsung has now, after a delay of two weeks, replaced the panel under warranty. The problem is that I think that the TV now does not have the same level of depth in picture or even the same black level. Also, the picture seems to be slightly soft, even maybe slightly out of focus. The picture also seems to be slightly hazy. My question is, am I just imagining this? Or is it possible that there is something wrong with the replacement panel? What are my options at this point and how can I get Samsung to replace the panel with a new one that works as well as the original? Any suggestions or opinions in the matter will be highly appreciated.

PS: When the replacement panel arrived, it came packed in a box that did not look like it was factory packed. Also the panel itself had a manufacturing sticker that was clearly stuck on top of an older sticker that had not even been completely removed. The date of manufacturing of the replacement panel is actually older than the original panel in the TV. Also, one of the cables on the panel, had a very dirty smudge & black gooey stuff on it. Bottom line, everything about the panel suggested to me that it was a refurbished panel and not brand new.

Attachments

• Black band on 64F8500.jpg
    Black band on 64F8500.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 311
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 307
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 309
I am shocked! Industry leader Samsung is doing this??? You better write to Sumsung immediately. and if that fails, write to CNBC Pehredar. Send an e-mail at [email protected] with details of complaint & your telephone no. they will contact you.

My 46 inch Samsung TV panel went bad halfway into it's warranty period (3 yr warranty). It had white moving lines that varied in position and eventually went hazy like looking through a fog. They replaced the panel. However the replaced panel doesn't look as good as it was originally. However it isn't bad either. Someone mentioned that it could be that the settings need to be changed with this panel.
I still think it doesn't look as sharp as the original !
My next TV will not be a Samsung !

You know what?I had a weird notion that there is light coming off the four corners of my 40f5500 led when i bought it in 2013 ,I just told that to Sammy guys on fone and in warranty they happily replaced the panel without a question,weirdly it was the same with the new panel as well but then I made sure that the new panel is box packed ,date is latest etc etc to make sure that they dont give a refurbished one.More so as I have had a similar experience with an amoled screen replacement for samsung mobile years ago(black was never black again).

You ought to have sent back the panel then only if you had a doubt,because in my case the engineer took the confirmation before leaving if I am happy with the panel(once warranty is over anyways they wont bother ,but in warranty samsung will have to).These things take some time but its always better late than being sorry and blaming yourselves.If you are in warranty call them asap and have it replaced and make sure you dont take another panel with an old date or any signs of being refurbished.

They will replace it by hook or by crook and without any email,just call their helpline..By the way ,You also should have noted the details on the backside of the original panel and matched it with the new one to make sure the specs are the same.Then you can rule out any issue as a probable perception issue.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will contact Samsung helpline and take it from there. I have by the way noted my dissatisfaction on the service form that the service technician had me sign and have kept a copy of it as proof that I was unsatisfied with the replacement panel. The thing is I don't want a refund. I want a properly working TV. After all I bought this TV only because I thought it was the best TV there is, other than of course the obscenely expensive LG OLED TVs.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Samsung is supposed to be the largest supplier of panels to other TV manufacturers. Except possibly Sony etc.
But it's their replacement panels that suck. Must be their policy is to use only refurbished panels.
Other brands with Samsung panels might not have the same policy and might have stricter QC on panels as it will cost them more to replace a panel with a 'new' one. I'll probably look at Jap brands next time.

The thing is I don't want a refund. I want a properly working TV. After all I bought this TV only because I thought it was the best TV there is, other than of course the obscenely expensive LG OLED TVs.
I agree. It's a fantastic tv as long as it works as intended.
You will get replacement I got a refund and my case was different. I asked for replacement too as my tv was giving minor niggles within the warranty period and died just after warranty. They refused n I created a ruckoo on the Internet. Finally they decided they dint want my business and refunded. Fair enough.

It occurred to me that a projector has less things that can go wrong with it. Additionally all parts are much smaller though possibly expensive. Easier to get fixed ?
So use a 'small' TV for news etc. and a projector for anything that needs to be seen on a 'larger scale' . Right ? :)

Just wanted to update anyone who might have been following this thread with the final outcome. I was able to get Samsung to replace the panel a second time and although they kept insisting that they don't expect any difference with this panel either, it turned out that it did make a difference. Immediately on turning on the TV with the 2nd replacement panel, the picture once again came alive. With the famed 64F8500 black levels and depth in the picture. The sharpness issue too was resolved. Bottom line is, all's well that ends well. Moral of the story is not to accept the initial bullshit that Samsung might give you about how I was only imagining the difference in quality.

Wow - just noticed this thread. Good for you ! Legally, I do not know if we can insist on Samsung supplying " new" panel : as we are asking for a replacement of an "used " panel.Since they are not really pushing this model anymore, I wonder how many genuinely new panels they have in stock.

I am glad that you could get a new replacement, as I too have a similar set and running "Warranty" that I hope I do not have to get.

if you still feel that you have an issue you can search Samung MD's email and wrtie to him. Also put your problem in Samsung facebook page.

Legally, I do not know if we can insist on Samsung supplying " new" panel : as we are asking for a replacement of an "used " panel.
I can understand to some extent their replacing the panel with a used/refurbished panel if the TV was relatively old. But when the TV is barely 2 months old, as was the case with mine, it is wrong for them to use a refurbished panel. More importantly, the issue is not so much whether the panel is new, or used, or even refurbished. Rather, the issue is that the panel should work correctly and provide a picture comparable to what would be expected from that model TV after a similar hrs of usage.

....... More importantly, the issue is not so much whether the panel is new, or used, or even refurbished. Rather, the issue is that the panel should work correctly and provide a picture comparable to what would be expected from that model TV after a similar hrs of usage.

I agree, absolutely.

You should push them to change the TV itself as its just 2 months old. Panel is a major component of the Tv and costly. Escalate, ask them to change the TV, if they do not agree, ask them to change the panel again.

You should push them to change the TV itself as its just 2 months old. Panel is a major component of the Tv and costly. Escalate, ask them to change the TV, if they do not agree, ask them to change the panel again.
Considering that they do not have the TV in stock anymore, the only available option would be a refund. Not something that I would have wanted. As for getting the panel changed again, as stated in my earlier post, that is exactly what I got them to do.

Just wanted to update anyone who might have been following this thread with the final outcome. I was able to get Samsung to replace the panel a second time and although they kept insisting that they don't expect any difference with this panel either, it turned out that it did make a difference. Immediately on turning on the TV with the 2nd replacement panel, the picture once again came alive. With the famed 64F8500 black levels and depth in the picture. The sharpness issue too was resolved. Bottom line is, all's well that ends well. Moral of the story is not to accept the initial bullshit that Samsung might give you about how I was only imagining the difference in quality.
I too have been having a harrowing time dealing with Samsung's outsourced service and their other outsourced customer dealing departments for last one year since I bought my ps51f5500. The set had a sound issue and they almost after 11 months are pushing a refund and not a replacement. Could anyone in India help with tips on how to handle this situation? Thanks

I have 3 50" Samsung Plasma which i bought in 2010, i replaced the one i am using personally twice for dead pixel and another time for a image processing issue, both times it got replaced by a brand new television within 4 days because the television was readily available on stock.

2014 i bought 3 of these 64 inches F8500 and all of them are going strong with no issues except for may be few minor software bugs in the smart tv functionality, i also got the extended warranty on these, if there was any issue i would call Samsung directly and from my personal experience Samsung has one of the better customer care services compared to brands like Sony or Panasonic.

Considering that they do not have the TV in stock anymore, the only available option would be a refund. Not something that I would have wanted. As for getting the panel changed again, as stated in my earlier post, that is exactly what I got them to do.

Go for a refund. As you will get your money back and you can buy something better or a new TV. They would refund you on the invoice value.

Don't wast time. Get your money back as even for the refund to come in it will take 3 to 4 weeks post processing the claim.

Go for a refund. As you will get your money back and you can buy something better or a new TV. They would refund you on the invoice value.
First of all I don't think there is any TV better than this. Certainly not in it's size or price point. Of course, this is not taking into account OLED TVs from LG which in any case will cost more than an arm and a leg and then some more. Nope, I'd much rather stick with this TV than take a refund.

Don't wast time. Get your money back as even for the refund to come in it will take 3 to 4 weeks post processing the claim.
I think you have misunderstood my posts. My TV is now fixed to my satisfaction and I am more than happy with it.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back