DVD input through USB for .avi files

ravindran353

I had written the same problem through another section, but yet to get a proper reply. Experts may kindly tell me any cheapest way of playing movies from a 320 gb portable disk to TV . Iomega, xtreamer and media centres may be there but all above 5-6 k if I am right.Is ther any DVD player to support this. This would have been a cheaper option.Please help

If you order WDTV from US it will cost 100$, which is around 5k, i feel it is the best product u can get in this price for attaching your hd and playing files off it

Is there any high fi player which plays all popular audio formats along with CD audio? I understand all high end cd players plays only CD audio.

What I want is a high quality CD player which plays .wma, avi,mp3, flac etc.Even under some directories on the disk.

let me know .
regards,
Anand

I had written the same problem through another section, but yet to get a proper reply. Experts may kindly tell me any cheapest way of playing movies from a 320 gb portable disk to TV . Iomega, xtreamer and media centres may be there but all above 5-6 k if I am right.Is ther any DVD player to support this. This would have been a cheaper option.Please help

Though most modern DVD players have USB port, they have a few shortcomings for playing computer based files:

1. They do not supply any power through the USB and can only play from a stick drive.

2. Most DVD Players support only the FAT16 and FAT32 file systems. Other file systems (exFAT, NTFS, etc.) are not supported. So if you use a OS that formats flash drives and external disks in NTFS or some such system, your DVD player will not recognise the files at all.

3. For file names and folders, DVD players may not recognise more than 14 characters. So if you are are not following Joliet or ISO9660 standards for files and folder names, the DVD player will not understand your files.

4. Most DVD players have a limit of about 300 folders and about 600 files. If you have more than this in you flash or external drive, the DVD player will not recognise the files.

5. Most DVD players are restricted to understanding few file formats and such as DIVX and AVI. They will not recognise files formats such as MKV.

If you want to play computer based or ripped files on a regular basis, an NMT such as Popcorn Hour, DVX, of WDTV or an HTPC are the best options.

Cheers

Last edited:
What I want is a high quality CD player which plays .wma, avi,mp3, flac etc.Even under some directories on the disk.

Most CD Players, particularly, high end ones, are either restricted to playing Redbook CD or RedbooK CD and MP3. Some portable units also understand and play WAV files. CD players cannot play AVI, WMA, or FLAC files at all. AVI, in any case, is not a format for audio.

Cheers

Is there any high fi player which plays all popular audio formats along with CD audio? I understand all high end cd players plays only CD audio.

let me know .
regards,
Anand

If you remove flac as one of your options, you may look at Oppo universal player to play the other audio and video types.

Most CD Players, particularly, high end ones, are either restricted to playing Redbook CD or RedbooK CD and MP3. Some portable units also understand and play WAV files. CD players cannot play AVI, WMA, or FLAC files at all. AVI, in any case, is not a format for audio.

Cheers
thanks venkat. By the way what is Redbook??
And yes, AVI is not required.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back