DVD Music system for mom

iyersn

I am looking out for a DVD player with speakers for use in my mother's room for listening to religous/ devotional songs from CDs. The display should not be small as she is quite aged and has a relatively weak eyesight. My budget would be under 10K though can extend it. The system should be compact as space is a constraint. I have noted a few threads relating to Philips systems, which I couldnt locate in the Philips website. I stay in Thane.
Thanking all the folks in advance - this site helped me in choosing over my AVR, etc. for my main room.

Better get a sony / philips DVD boombox. Have better sound & can be moved anywhere with ease.( almost all have remote) Plus they will have cassette and radio too. you will find them mostly on big branded showrooms. Good one should not cost more that 6K

I am looking out for a DVD player with speakers for use in my mother's room for listening to religous/ devotional songs from CDs. The display should not be small as she is quite aged and has a relatively weak eyesight. My budget would be under 10K though can extend it. The system should be compact as space is a constraint. I have noted a few threads relating to Philips systems, which I couldnt locate in the Philips website. I stay in Thane.
Thanking all the folks in advance - this site helped me in choosing over my AVR, etc. for my main room.

Can you please clarify if you are looking for an audio system? If so, why do you need a DVD player? Won't a CD player suffice?

I just had the exact same requirement and ended up buying a compact Philips CD player with speakers and in-built AM/FM radio from Croma. Don't remember the model number offhand but this was the smallest model they had. I tried cranking up the volume to full level and was pleasantly surprised to hear very little increase in distortion. It didn't play very loud, though that wasn't really a concern.

This was a simple system with basic CD buttons for ff, rew, play, stop; two large knobs for player volume and radio frequency; and a toggle switch for CD/radio. All in all, the buttons weren't large, but I think the whole system was easy enough for an elderly person to operate. The thing I really liked was the fact that unlike all the other bigger fancier models, this one didn't have any extra buttons for fancy features which would cause much less confusion. The lack of buttons, IMHO, is a far better feature than having many big buttons or even a big display.

The display is small and only shows the track number, but can largely be ignored as it is of no use.

Last edited:
Can you please clarify if you are looking for an audio system? If so, why do you need a DVD player? Won't a CD player suffice?

I just had the exact same requirement and ended up buying a compact Philips CD player with speakers and in-built AM/FM radio from Croma. Don't remember the model number offhand but this was the smallest model they had. I tried cranking up the volume to full level and was pleasantly surprised to hear very little increase in distortion. It didn't play very loud, though that wasn't really a concern.

This was a simple system with basic CD buttons for ff, rew, play, stop; two large knobs for player volume and radio frequency; and a toggle switch for CD/radio. All in all, the buttons weren't large, but I think the whole system was easy enough for an elderly person to operate. The thing I really liked was the fact that unlike all the other bigger fancier models, this one didn't have any extra buttons for fancy features which would cause much less confusion. The lack of buttons, IMHO, is a far better feature than having many big buttons or even a big display.

The display is small and only shows the track number, but can largely be ignored as it is of no use.

Thanks - you are right - a CD player should suffice. Thought of a DVD player only in case she wants to watch any devotional DVDs - I have an old 25" CTV in her room - unused for nearly a year. :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back