DVD player for watching HD rip avi mkv files

Recent Philips Blu-ray sound bar plays mkv files. You can check it in philips website. It costs 80k though

just enquired

the wdtv live is available for rs 7600 at prime abgb, lamington rd

am gonna be buyin it too for my new 42 lh90 :eek:hyeah:

The difference between WD and WD Live is just that Live supports Ethernet, contents from Picasa and fliker and component in connection thats it. I am not sure if you would need the Ethernet support, so I'd say go for WD TV, the cost difference is almost 4K.

What about firmware updates? Will WD Live be able to play latest types of mkv files as opposed to WD? If there is no basic difference, I will go with WD Live. I asked out. People haven't heard of it in Calcutta, it is so backward. One of my younger brothers is working in Bangalore, so I can get it from there. Or I can get it from US in August, my youngest brother is studying there. :D

I will definitely buy one of WD or WD Live as it plays almost all files bar rmvb (which I don't use) and MP4 at a very good resolution from the reviews I have read. I don't want to wait till August. Should I just buy the WD? Where to get this in Bangalore and what is the approximate price?

Last edited:
What about firmware updates? Will WD Live be able to play latest types of mkv files as opposed to WD? If there is no basic difference, I will go with WD Live. I asked out. People haven't heard of it in Calcutta, it is so backward. One of my younger brothers is working in Bangalore, so I can get it from there. Or I can get it from US in August, my youngest brother is studying there. :D

I will definitely buy one of WD or WD Live as it plays almost all files bar rmvb (which I don't use) and MP4 at a very good resolution from the reviews I have read. I don't want to wait till August. Should I just buy the WD? Where to get this in Bangalore and what is the approximate price?

There is no basic difference in the hardware, except for that fact Live has ethernet, both plays same format, both have the same firmware update (mini has different). Approx price should be near 6K and where to get is something banglore people can only tell.......

I bought it from ebay India right now for 7k. Seller has good reputation. I was in two minds before buying this but now that I can watch blu-ray downloaded on my home theatre in Kolkata and movies in higher quality in UP than the DVP5965k on the 40" Bravia, I am a happy, happy man. :)

Thanks dude.

Congratts........finally a decission :D ......... and a good one too .... :)

@harry10: You can find one in Nehru Place. Shop??? hmmm I think Cost to Cost or SMI or Computer Empire might have one. All the Best.

Anyone knows where to buy Wd tv live in delhi?

Pick any consumer electronics shop in any decent mall, you should get it, or hit Nehru Place, its garunteed to be available there.....

Nehru place- Computer empire or RR systems.

Finally, it would be beneficial to the forum if someone writes a short note type of details of hard disc based players covering all brands available, price, advantage/disadvantage viz a viz other formats of players and most importantly availability of content.
I am requesting this as there may be other members too who may not be much conversant of this type of media player.

Finally, it would be beneficial to the forum if someone writes a short note type of details of hard disc based players covering all brands available, price, advantage/disadvantage viz a viz other formats of players and most importantly availability of content.
I am requesting this as there may be other members too who may not be much conversant of this type of media player.

I can write a little about it. Actually something that my friend had posted on another forum. By the way there is an exclusive section on this.

Ac Ryan Playon Hd Network Media Player

Credits to my friend and original poster Dheeraj.

great option for a unified Media Player + Network Attached Storage + Torrent Downloading Rig & ftp etc
image02__70361_zoom.jpg

PV73100-backlabels_1024x768__09103_zoom.jpg

storeplaystream_540.jpg

Product Description
formats.jpg

Play. Store. Stream Full HD 1080P - With the Playon!HD, you are able to watch your favorite media content at Full HD 1080P on your TV. Media can be stored on its built-in Harddisk or on external drive(s). You can also stream HD media from any computer or network drive using its network connection. The Playon!HD also streams Internet Radio and media from any UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play) source.

Spec's...

* Full HD Media Player
* HDMI up to 1080p (Full HD)
* Enjoy Full HD video (H.264, MKV, RM/RMVB) on TV
* UPnP Media Streaming
* Wired & Wireless Network**
* Store all your media files centrally
* Network Drive (NAS)
* Listen to Internet Radio
* Enjoy a Slideshow of your favorite photos

** Wired Network is included / Wireless Network is an optional extra, not included in the standard package.

Watch Full High Definition 1080p video content on your Full HD screen. Play from the internal harddrive, USB storage, SD media card or stream across wired or wireless** network.

Enjoy your music collection while sharing your holiday pictures with the rest of the family in the living room. Enough of your own music collection? Switch to hundreds of Internet Radio stations that bring you new tunes 24/7.

The Playon!HD is the ultimate Media player for your digital lifestyle. Easy to use, perfect for playing your downloaded video's and music in the comfort of your living room.

Posted Image
A/V Out: HDMI interface up to 1080p
Composite Video
Composite Audio
Y/Pb/Pr Video
SPDIF coaxial (digital audio)
SPDIF Optical TOSLink (digital audio)
Storage supported: Internal Harddisk
External USB Harddisk
Media cards
USB disks / USB stick
Network drive
Built-in Storage supported: 3.5" SATA/SATA2 Harddisk up to 1.5TB
Media cards supported: SD card, SDHC (SD High Capacity)
MMC, MS, MSPro
USB2.0 host controller: USB 2.0 Interface
USB Mass Storage Devices (harddrives, flashdrives)
Add ports with USB hubs, USB cardreaders
NAS Network Drive / Network Player Great as Network Media Center
Functions as NAS Network Drive
accessible via network from all NAS capable devices eg. PC, XBOX, PS3 etc)
Browse network by navigation or direct IP address
Save Shortcuts to easily access network locations
Plays / streams audio/video/image media from any device in network
Use Playon! HD to play any media in network
Play media stored in Playon! HD from anywhere in network
Network - wired LAN Ethernet 10/100Mbps Auto-negotiation
Built-in DHCP for Auto IP or Manual Fixed IP
Network - wireless (optional, not incl.) Wireless WLAN 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps via USB WLAN adaptor (optional, not incl.)
Supports WLAN security WEP / WPA
Supports WLAN Peer-to-Peer (connects wireless without router)
Video Formats Supported: AVI / MKV / TS / TP / TRP / M2TS / MPG / MP4 / MOV / M4V / VOB / ISO / IFO / DAT / WMV / ASF / RM / RMVB / FLV resolution up to 720p / 1080i / 1080p
Video Codecs Supported: MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 SP/ASP/AVC (H.264) / XviD / DivX / WMV9 (VC-1) / RealVideo 8/9/10 (up to 720P)
Video Output Supported: PAL / NTSC / 480p / 576 / 720p / 1080i 50Hz / 1080i 60Hz / 1080p 50Hz / 1080p 60Hz
Audio Formats Supported: MP3 / MP2 / WMA / AAC / FLAC / WAV / OGG Vorbis / PCM / LPCM / MS-ADPCM / LC-AAC / HE-AAC / COOK / RA-Lossless
Audio Output Supported: Multi-Channel Stereo
Dolby Digital 5.1 (pass-through & downmix to stereo)
Dolby Digital Plus (pass-through)*
DTS (pass-through & downmix to stereo)

* From the end of October 2009, Playon!HD has built-in support for Dolby Digital Plus.
Image Formats Supported: HD JPEG / BMP / GIF / TIF / PNG
Subtitle Formats Supported: SRT, SMI, SSA, IDX/SUB, SUB
Character sets supported
(needed for text subtitles): Unicode (UTF8), BIG5 (Traditional Chinese), Western, Turkish, Central European, Greek, Cyrillic, SE European, Hebrew

Price would vary depending on what all you opt for. It would be anywhere between 11-15k depending on whether you opt for a HDD (upto 2 TB). Wifi dongle, HDMI cable and transportation. As mentioned by others, the item shops from Bangalooru

:O LOL!
Nobody's gonna buy a player which costs 80k!
Well..there are some 'exceptions' .. :lol::eek:hyeah:

Its not a player, its a sound bar that plays discs, there is a difference.....

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back