DVD player for watching HD rip avi mkv files

Hi,
I am planning to download a 4.2 GB 720p XviD file ripped from Blu-Ray. If i burn the file on a blank DVD and play it on a Philips DVD Player that is XviD compatible (standard 570 format...not HD), will the player be able to detect and play it ?

Hi,
I am planning to download a 4.2 GB 720p XviD file ripped from Blu-Ray. If i burn the file on a blank DVD and play it on a Philips DVD Player that is XviD compatible (standard 570 format...not HD), will the player be able to detect and play it ?

Which DVD player are you talking about (model no)
Assuming that your player plays Divx content I would ask......
Whats the container of the file you are downloading........MKV or AVI, if its AVI in all probability it should play (unless its of very high bitrate, which I doubt given the size 4.2 GB), if its an MKV file I doubt the player will play it.......

If you do not use HDMI for audio, you can use coaxial out for the same, if your sony music system has coaxial input, else normal composite out is also available, but that would not be HD audio.....

If I use HDMI for audio, how will it work? I will connect projector HDMI with WDTV HDMI port. How will the music system connect with this?

Hi,

Hi,

None of the DVD players available can play avi (DivX or XviD) of dimensions greater than 720 in width (ie 720 x *). Nor can they recognise mkv.:sad:
It will however play on yor PC, or through any media player

Regards
Nitish

Hi,

Just sharing my experiences.

I was in the same boat as many of you guys. I have a large collection of Bluray rips (Xvid and MKV) of 720p and above, each fitting in 1 DVD. I had scouted for a DVD / Bluray player for more than 6 months, as my Pioneer DVD player could not play files which were greater than 720 pixels in width (720 x *), leave alone 720p. Also MKV was not recognised. None of the players I saw played those files.
There was only one bluray player which played all these files flawlessly, that was Dune BD Prime 3.0. :licklips:But it was outside my budget (38k).:sad:
So I used to connect my laptop to my receiver through HDMI and watch the movies. But I lost out on the 5.1 audio, as my laptop could output only stereo through HDMI.

Then along came Xtreamer! Guys, this is a great media player; cost me around 8500/- on ebay (without HDD). Not only does it play any media file that you throw at it (from the internal HDD, external HDD or pendrive), you can also connect any external DVD ROM (I use the sleek Samsung DVD writer that came free with my netbook) through USB, and there you go!! I can now watch all the discs that I burnt in flawless HD resolution with 5.1 audio:yahoo:

Nitish

PS: Correct me if I am wrong but I think the WD TV does not play external DVD ROM through USB.

:O LOL!
Nobody's gonna buy a player which costs 80k!
Well..there are some 'exceptions' .. :lol::eek:hyeah:
It is not just a player, rather it is a virtual surround sound home theatre system comprising of player, tuner, amplifier and speakers all in a bar plus a sub-woofer.

Hi,

I was in the same boat as many of you guys. I have a large collection of Bluray rips (Xvid and MKV) of 720p and above, each fitting in 1 DVD. I had scouted for a DVD / Bluray player for more than 6 months, as my Pioneer DVD player could not play files which were greater than 720 pixels in width (720 x *), leave alone 720p. Also MKV was not recognised. None of the players I saw played those files.
There was only one bluray player which played all these files flawlessly, that was Dune BD Prime 3.0. :licklips:But it was outside my budget (38k).:sad:
So I used to connect my laptop to my receiver through HDMI and watch the movies. But I lost out on the 5.1 audio, as my laptop could output only stereo through HDMI.

Then along came Xtreamer! Guys, this is a great media player; cost me around 8500/- on ebay (without HDD). Not only does it play any media file that you throw at it (from the internal HDD, external HDD or pendrive), you can also connect any external DVD ROM (I use the sleek Samsung DVD writer that came free with my netbook) through USB, and there you go!! I can now watch all the discs that I burnt in flawless HD resolution with 5.1 audio:yahoo:

Nitish

PS: Correct me if I am wrong but I think the WD TV does not play external DVD ROM through USB.

how u get 5.1 channel sound from it

Last edited:
Hi,

Nitish

Thats a wonderfull idea. Are you sure that the WD Player doesnot play DVD Rom via USB?

Xtreamer supports USB DVD player..
and it made my Onida DVD player totally useless :)

I was in the same boat as nitish..
had many DVDs written with mkvs and mp4 HD movies..
was using laptop to play them.. It was cumbersome..
was very happy once I realized I can use my LG external USB dvd drive with Xtreamer..dumped my dvd player immediately :)

Hi,

Nitish

Hi Nitish,
Jut out of curiosity, how did you burn BR rips to a single DVD? I mean how did you manage to burn files larger than 4 GB into a DVD (assuming Windows OS)?

thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Nitish,
Jut out of curiosity, how did you burn BR rips to a single DVD? I mean how did you manage to burn files larger than 4 GB into a DVD (assuming Windows OS)?

thanks
Sethukumar

These are BRs ripped and converted to xvids. They all are more than 720*xx, and are of approx. 4GB each, with some having DTS as well as dolby digital 5.1 audio, unlike DVD rips, which are lesser than 720*xx

for me average size of a 720p BRrip is about 1.5 GB

video:
codec x264
bit rate ~2000kbps

audio:
codec AAC 6 channels
bit rate ~320kbps

I could copy as many as 3 BRrips on one DVD :)

The playback video/audio quality is superb for the size of the file.
about 10 times better than a 700 MB DVDrip.

Then I have few more BRrips and size varies from 2 GB to 40 GB depending on the video/audio resolution, codec and bit rate..

I have played few mkv 720p and 1080p files from my laptop to dlp proj. and must say that the quality is very close to blu ray discs........

Does the PS3 play BD rips in either avi or mkv formats? Will there be any loss of quality compared to what I see on my laptop screen?

I have a PS3 and I have tried playing some DVD rips (700 mb) in avi format through a small external HDD (WD). It works fine, but I feel I am not getting the true sound out into my Home theater.

I used to convert MKV files(720P rips) in DVD format using convert to DVD, and than burn the same in a DVD or copy the converted files in pen drive and play it on my moser baer DVD player with USB but in both the cases in some sequences the audio and video got stuck and play quite slowly like i m playing the DVD in .5x speed. does anybody have any idea why this is happening and how i can i stop it.

Guys I bought the WD HD media player for 100 dollars from amazon. Its amazing.

1. Plays almost every file without any performance issues (mkv, h.264 avi, mp4, wmv, divx, xvid)
2. I think it plays vob files too - though I havent tried it yet
3. the menu is super fluid and smart -
4. subtitles are rendered very neatly
5. buy the WD HD media player live - I think that picks up files from your computer harddrive too - wirelessly!

for me average size of a 720p BRrip is about 1.5 GB

video:
codec x264
bit rate ~2000kbps

audio:
codec AAC 6 channels
bit rate ~320kbps

I could copy as many as 3 BRrips on one DVD :)

The playback video/audio quality is superb for the size of the file.
about 10 times better than a 700 MB DVDrip.

Then I have few more BRrips and size varies from 2 GB to 40 GB depending on the video/audio resolution, codec and bit rate..

how u can burn 3 BRrips in a single DVD please share

Does the PS3 play BD rips in either avi or mkv formats? Will there be any loss of quality compared to what I see on my laptop screen?

I have a PS3 and I have tried playing some DVD rips (700 mb) in avi format through a small external HDD (WD). It works fine, but I feel I am not getting the true sound out into my Home theater.

PS3 can play 720p/1080p mp4 files (x264 video codec)..
Unfortunately it doesn't support NTFS HDDs so file size is restricted to ~4GB..

PS3 can pass-through surround sound over HDMI.. If your AVR can process HDMI audio then you will get true 5.1 sound from your HT..

PS3 can play 720p/1080p mp4 files (x264 video codec)..
Unfortunately it doesn't support NTFS HDDs so file size is restricted to ~4GB..

PS3 can pass-through surround sound over HDMI.. If your AVR can process HDMI audio then you will get true 5.1 sound from your HT..

I have a Denon 1910 AVR. It does process the sound, but still I felt, the sound was not that true. Maybe, the source itself does not have a good recording. I will check settings on the receiver.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back