DVDs and English songs

amateur

Hello,

I just would like to see whether people in this forum atleast spend Rs,. 500/- for an English DVD (well, that's the price that I see still from music world, etc) (or) buy from gray market for Rs, 20-50/- . What's the difference you have seen in getting a Rs, 50/- English DVD vs Rs, 500/- DVD.

Same applies to Audio CDs, do you spend Rs, 400-700/- for a English Audio cd original or any other souce :)

You may be seeking views of experienced members. But, here's a view from my very limited experience.

For the music I care about, I import CDs through ImportCDs, Amazon UK and the like. I did buy a few Indian pressings for the CDs I won't listen often. But they are not up-to mark.

For DVDs, I generally buy used DVDs from Spun.com. Since I have no hopes of seeing a movie 10-20 times like I easily do with Audio CDs.., I generally am ok with it. My average cost comes down to Rs. 350 or so (including shipping cost etc.,), which I feel is not too bad. I also happen to get Collector's Edition or special editions frequently. But then, once I upgrade my TV, I may or may not continue doing so.

^^ santhose .... ImpostCDs looks interesting ..... how well does it works with duties, shipments etc ..... a small insight might be usefull to me......thanks

@sam,

So far, I've not been charged for any of my CD/DVD imports. ImportCDs actually ships each CD in a separate cover. There were slight damages to the case in a few cases, but luckily, nothing wrong with the CDs. They are also a good place to look for LPs. Some of our members are regularly buying from the site, IIRC.

As for shipping charges, the first item is costly @ $6.99, each additional item is $1.99. See here

Hello,

I just would like to see whether people in this forum atleast spend Rs,. 500/- for an English DVD (well, that's the price that I see still from music world, etc) (or) buy from gray market for Rs, 20-50/- . What's the difference you have seen in getting a Rs, 50/- English DVD vs Rs, 500/- DVD.

Same applies to Audio CDs, do you spend Rs, 400-700/- for a English Audio cd original or any other souce :)

ATLEAST????

Your question sound pretty rude even derogatory

BTW I just have 150 + orignal CD's
around 40 to 50 orignal DVD's ( many concerts)

Now this is nothing compared to DVD collection of Vinay ( which he distributed free!!!) and many members owing many music CD's

Many members have good collection of SACD's ( If you know what SACD is.BTW SACD can NOT be pirated and AFAIK never made in India) ,many have a good collection of Blu Rays ( from the day a Blu Ray disk costing Rs 2000)

And how about people having crazy collection of Vinyls! And many members mentioned getting BRAND NEW VINALYS from abrod! ( Malvi brother please answe!)

ATLEAST????

Your question sound pretty rude even derogatory

Hemant/All:

I didn't mean to sound the question rude nor derogatory :). My intent of the question was to ask people if they spend on DVD/CD starting from Rs. 500/- as the originals start at that price.. May be, my English was bad :)

Generally to get an idea , I wanted to ask this question - Do people in this forum spend that much amount on a cd/dvd .. At the end of day if I were to spend 500+ on a DVD or English song CD (For ex: Eagles sells even now at Rs, 750/-) , I will have to think twice.

I also believe there could be people in this forum who may be like me , not be in a position to spend that much on a CD/DVD :), trying to get an idea how do they get quality dvds , cd ..., so if the amount works out atleast of half of what it is , I can also try that option . But if all in this forum do have that money, then I am the odd man out in this forum - For ex: if a original dvd or music cd costing 500, can be legitimately bought at 200+, I would be glad to spend that amount , but Rs. 750+ , man - that's too much for me atleast. I want to give respect to the movie makers and music creators and want to only buy original - but the cost in India sometimes puts me off...

pls do share if there are better ways to get quality CD/DVD.

@sam,

So far, I've not been charged for any of my CD/DVD imports. ImportCDs actually ships each CD in a separate cover. There were slight damages to the case in a few cases, but luckily, nothing wrong with the CDs. They are also a good place to look for LPs. Some of our members are regularly buying from the site, IIRC.

As for shipping charges, the first item is costly @ $6.99, each additional item is $1.99. See here

India is not listed in the coutry in the URL and it say they won't ship to the country not listed -

Am I missing something ?

Hi,

Maybe investing in a DVD or a BD may not make you happier, but investing in CDs are really worth, as music has repeat values and you can listen to a track umpteen times or on a periodical basis.

So, at least now, I have realized that investing in CDs are worth every penny, else I find it useless to invest so much in speakers, AVRs, stereo amps, interconnects, etc. if you are not feeding the equipment with quality material.

Having said so regarding DVDs, I find I can watch some movies every now and then and movies do have repeat values!

Cheers!

I also believe there could be people in this forum who may be like me , not be in a position to spend that much on a CD/DVD :), trying to get an idea how do they get quality dvds , cd ..., so if the amount works out atleast of half of what it is , I can also try that option . But if all in this forum do have that money, then I am the odd man out in this forum - For ex: if a original dvd or music cd costing 500, can be legitimately bought at 200+, I would be glad to spend that amount , but Rs. 750+ , man - that's too much for me atleast.

+1 to what "The Smart One" said.

With movies, you can do what I do - get them used. For example, I picked up the entire Matrix Trilogy for around $4.20 shipped. The offer was Free International shipping on orders more than $50 at that time. We do get [For Sale] threads for DVDs / BR in our forum. You can also be very selective about the DVDs you own - making sure that most, if not all have repeat value for you.

But with music, make no compromise since they will be played a LOT more times than the movie DVDs. Yes! spending a bit more on them makes more sense.

+1 to what "The Smart One" said.

With movies, you can do what I do - get them used. For example, I picked up the entire Matrix Trilogy for around $4.20 shipped. The offer was Free International shipping on orders more than $50 at that time.

which website ? spun.com ?

@sam,

mmmm I could not find India in ImportCD. Anyway tried Spun, Its a good site and you get really cheap used stuff (specially CDs). I though lets order something as a test, so went ahead and placed an order for Celine Dion ~ "Let's Talk About Love" for 8.26USB~371 INR which is like OK. It does not have a Paypall option, that is something I missed, as I always prefer Paypall for shopping. Anyway lets see how long does it takes and whats the condition. Further ordering will depend on these factors. Amazon UK for that matter is awesome in these aspects.

BTW is there a UK based site similar to Spun.. ????? Anyone .. ???

which website ? spun.com ?

Yep!

It does not have a Paypall option, that is something I missed, as I always prefer Paypall for shopping. Anyway lets see how long does it takes and whats the condition.

It does have a PayPal option, but not in a convenient click-to-pay method. What you can do is to transfer funds to [email protected] before you place order. More details here

Yours should arrive early since it's a single item - probably USPS Priority. If you order more items, they will come in a Spun.com box. All DVDs received thus far are shrink-wrapped and most, if not all were in very good condition. PQ and SQ - I guess you'd be the better judge since I am using a CRT :)

It does have a PayPal option, but not in a convenient click-to-pay method. What you can do is to transfer funds to [email protected] before you place order. More details here

At this time we accept PayPal funds from any of the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Puerto Rico, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Virgin Islands (U.S.)

No INDIA so I guess no Paypall, anyway what I was referring was to have the option right at the time of payment, the way it is actually ....

Yours should arrive early since it's a single item - probably USPS Priority. If you order more items, they will come in a Spun.com box. All DVDs received thus far are shrink-wrapped and most, if not all were in very good condition. PQ and SQ - I guess you'd be the better judge since I am using a CRT :)

mmmm anyway its the Audio CD I ordered, so not to worry about PQ .. :) .... DVDs I do not watch anymore .... BRs I think Spun do not have used BRs ..... or maybe I could not find any .... else its the BRs I always order ....

Last edited:
@ amateur...
my suggestion would be to download the mp3/FLAC first from any of the open sharing sites, then buy the CDs if you like the band/music.... like if you r interested in a particular genre of music, in the first place it would be difficult to procure a CD in most parts of the country...
i have close to 80GB of downloaded music and 60-70 odd CDs of the band/albums i like...
this process might help you explore your music and save money as well!

wish i had invested on cd's....have around 600-1200 tapes rangin frm stuff i got for 40 bucks to 200 per cassete.even bought compilation(5-6 tapes in a pack for 2000!)! all of them are wasted now but still they were a lot worth those days....remember spnding all my pocket money in school days for gettin tapes from music world,landmark,etc!.......bought every tape that came out in the "rock" and "rap" genre!.....bought some good best of/greatest hits cd's though of scorpions,maiden,etc.....miss tape decks and feel bad about my huge tape selection getting wasted......piracy dsnt mean quality!...even good rips cant give you great quality! and with good components pirated media dsnt do justice!.............

Last edited:
@ amateur...
my suggestion would be to download the mp3/FLAC first from any of the open sharing sites, then buy the CDs if you like the band/music.... like if you r interested in a particular genre of music, in the first place it would be difficult to procure a CD in most parts of the country...
i have close to 80GB of downloaded music and 60-70 odd CDs of the band/albums i like...
this process might help you explore your music and save money as well!

80gb wow!....my extenal hard disk's runnin 462gb of pirated audio:D:eek:hyeah::p:yahoo::lol:...hehe......thanx to The Pirate Bay and demonoid !!!!!!!even my ipod classic 160gb filled upto 116gb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
mmmm I could not find India in ImportCD. Anyway tried Spun, Its a good site and you get really cheap used stuff (specially CDs). I though lets order something as a test, so went ahead and placed an order for Celine Dion ~ "Let's Talk About Love" for 8.26USB~371 INR which is like OK. It does not have a Paypall option, that is something I missed, as I always prefer Paypall for shopping. Anyway lets see how long does it takes and whats the condition. Further ordering will depend on these factors. Amazon UK for that matter is awesome in these aspects.

BTW is there a UK based site similar to Spun.. ????? Anyone .. ???

let me also give it a try, btw, it generally would take 4 weeks , right ?

80gb wow!....my extenal hard disk's runnin 462gb of pirated audio:D:eek:hyeah::p:yahoo::lol:...hehe......thanx to The Pirate Bay and demonoid !!!!!!!even my ipod classic 160gb filled upto 116gb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sadly im confined to a particular kind of music.. But you should have started a radio station by now!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back