ebay buyer protection, how good is it

doors666

I purchased headphones in uk and got them delivered to a friend's address in london. only, they never arrived. I paid using paypal. the seller claims he shipped it. he has a printed receipt to show that he shipped something on a given date. no addresses except the pin code written by hand on a printed receipt. He shipped using the service he mentioned in the ad, without a tracking number. he doesnt mention in his ad that he will be using a tracking number or not. I opened an issue on ebay and he replied by sending the receipt. I can escalate the issue to the customer service if we are not able to settle it mutually. Whats the best course of action here? Who does ebay usually favour in such cases, buyer or seller? I have 10+ +ve feedbacks, he's been a member for 5 years and has 1 +ve feedback. Neither has -ve feedback.

I haven't got any experience about it, but I have placed an order on eBay, and it is fast approaching 45 days after payment, and I still haven't got the item. Although in my case, I was provided a tracking number and it seems to me that it is now somewhere in my local city's post office. But its been there for quite some time and I fear some cheapskate at the post office might just whack it. After which I might file for buyer protection.

Now to answer your question, I think the seller would need to conclusively show proof of delivery and not just shipment. Check this link out -
eBay Buyer Protection

I purchased headphones in uk and got them delivered to a friend's address in london. only, they never arrived. I paid using paypal. the seller claims he shipped it. he has a printed receipt to show that he shipped something on a given date. no addresses except the pin code written by hand on a printed receipt. He shipped using the service he mentioned in the ad, without a tracking number. he doesnt mention in his ad that he will be using a tracking number or not. I opened an issue on ebay and he replied by sending the receipt. I can escalate the issue to the customer service if we are not able to settle it mutually. Whats the best course of action here? Who does ebay usually favour in such cases, buyer or seller? I have 10+ +ve feedbacks, he's been a member for 5 years and has 1 +ve feedback. Neither has -ve feedback.

Ebay usually gives the benefit of doubt to Buyers and the Buyers are usually favoured.

On a personal note, I would have kept away from a seller with just 1 positive feedback.

I shipped banana connector from Hongkong to UK as shipping was free.I did receive it after 15 days as estimated & friend carried it .

I am presently going through a claim under the Buyer's protection for a wrong item shipped against my order. After about 20 follow up telephone calls I got my purchase value back but the return courier is still due.

I would say it works, but they are not overly eager to settle your claim. Follow up, Follow up and more follow up is the key.

V Shankar

it was quite painless actually, I could not resolve it with the seller, so I raised it to customer support. some 12 hrs later i got an email saying case has been settled in my favor as the seller failed to provide a tracking number. they immediately issued a refund for full price and shipping.
The sad thing is that the item in question was a yamaha hp3 orthos and I really badly wanted that, it was a good deal too.:sad:

I am presently going through a claim under the Buyer's protection for a wrong item shipped against my order. After about 20 follow up telephone calls I got my purchase value back but the return courier is still due.

I would say it works, but they are not overly eager to settle your claim. Follow up, Follow up and more follow up is the key.

V Shankar

I am thinking of buying energy 5.1 take classic Home theater speaker system along with Denon 1513 AVR form global easy buy on ebay. Its costing me 58000 Rs. Is it safe to buy from a power seller in US. Will they ship original working equipment or they will ship some thing which is defective or repaired pieces, can i be assured of the quality. I am bit circumspect thinking of the quality of the equipment delivered or Non delivery etc. can anybody advice me in this situation.

On global easy buy, eBay mostly offers items from very experienced sellers with very good reputation.. They will ship the item described in listing like " new", " new other" or used.. You have to go through entire description.. Only major drawback is you won't get any warranty offered in listing as item is not directly shipped but through international reseller( iccworld)..so buy only if you get a very good price(40-50% discount).. Also you can't ask any questions.. However what I do is open eBay.com (us site) and look for the same item and ask question.. GEB is relatively safe and hassle free.. Delivery is also very prompt and I get items within 10-12 days..

ebay protection is heavily loaded in favour of the buyer. If the seller claimed to have shipped the goods, you should have a tracking number to follow up on (usually the seller agrees with the buyer on which courier company to use for shipping).

From a seller perspective, there are lot of dependencies, a friend of mine once sold an expensive cd player to a guy in Lucknow for Rs.22,000/-. The payment was made using paisa pay. However my friend's bad luck was that Professional Couriers was facing some IT problem and did not update its website, hence the tracking number which was provided, did not work. The buyer conveniently received the cd player and then cleverly filed a non-receipt complaint with ebay.

ebay asked me friend to provide the online tracking details and check online only to find that there was no tracking information updated. They checked for 2 weeks and proceeded to refund the money to the buyer. My friend lost his cd player in the bargain as the guy from Lucknow was untraceable after that (not responding to phone/ebay messages/email). Ironically ebay refused to accept a lstter from Professional courier stating that the player was actually delivered.

also, ebay india is home to many scams, people selling counterfiet and smuggled goods, people selling at huge prices, etc

beware while using ebay India.

its quite possible. First of all there is absolutely no way to contact ebay US from India other than phone which is being international is a pain. Now in certain cases ebay instead of refunding the money to your CC generates a coupon without taking consent from you which you can only use in ebay Us and that too in a single purchase. to me thats a daylight robbery

about ebay India - what my friend above said is correct - full of frauds, crooks, but there are good sellers and thats why its working

always exercise caution while buying from ebay, especially from abroad as even if the seller makes every effort to make a smooth deal the carrier can turn it to a nightmare. You pay more tha hardly matters its all in pen and paper, in reality its something else

Now in certain cases ebay instead of refunding the money to your CC generates a coupon without taking consent from you which you can only use in ebay Us and that too in a single purchase. to me thats a daylight robbery
Flipkart has done same thing to me. I bought a recently released dvd and so it was an In Stock item but they didn't ship the item. No reason given till date and they put rs 700 (dvd price) in my flipkart wallet without my consent.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back