My Bad experience with LG C9 65” OLED

Thanks for providing the contact number. I am getting very irritated talking to these people over phone. As of now, I am trying to get proof in written so trying to get their responses in email.

I also think official shop is over hyping. When I visited them last week, they told me that if I had purchased from them, they would have challenged LG and got a replacement within this time.
Yes proceed legally, they don't have proper escalation policy. I tried complaining to LG CEO office email but it only got redirected to the same LG support guys i was dealing with.

Yes proceed legally, they don't have proper escalation policy. I tried complaining to LG CEO office email but it only got redirected to the same LG support guys i was dealing with.
Yes, that is the worst and most frustrating part of it.

I tried escalated to CEO office and Head of service. I received the call from LG, and they told they will audio conference with someone who can make decision on the replacement. But to my shock, it was low level manager in my local area.

This is definitely not how a premium brand should work, but in India customer support is like this :confused:

This is definitely not how a premium brand should work, but in India customer support is like this :confused:
In india if a brand or product attains premium tag due to demand and sales the customer becomes slave and the brand behaves in such a way that they are doing the customer a favour by selling the product. Customer is king is applicable to selected countries only.

Customer is king is applicable to selected countries only.
If they can have " *Select models available in certain countries ". Then this also may be there in the terms and conditions which runs into many pages in very fine print . Hence may be the reason for no response from them.
:)

Last edited:
In consumer electronics space, India is lagging behind and it wont change. Lg, Sony and Samsung have exploited us, took advantage of lack of good Indian players in the market and the only way it will change is when we have local quality products available challenging them in technology and start of the art offerings with reliability.

On this thread we have discussed only the warranty experience of LG, Samsung, Sony. The so called premium brands.

Now that other brands are also making QLED, OLED etc are the warranty experience worse for Hisense, Toshiba, TCL, Mi etc?

On this thread we have discussed only the warranty experience of LG, Samsung, Sony. The so called premium brands.

Now that other brands are also making QLED, OLED etc are the warranty experience worse for Hisense, Toshiba, TCL, Mi etc?

My personal take will be like, I'll can replace the TV on a whim for these Brand ( can be from same brand ) , on the ground that the new TV are way, way less than the replacement panel they are asking for an old TV .
I do have an 5 year VU unit , still doing good and satisfied.
While I've see same TV being on a replacement barrage because of quality issues, mostly because of Transport. DOAs.

I've had bad experience with TCL TV couple of years back and have also mentioned it in earlier posts. TCL did not have the parts to replace and was giving some excuses day in and day out but then had to move legally after which they replaced the TV. Also as I mentioned earlier Mi had replaced a fellow FM's TV several times during the warranty period and also gave him full refund as he did not like the TV. The newer brands are maybe more considerate as any prolonged complaints in Social media might affect their standing on sales but the established brands like LG, Samsung, Sony etc... are arrogance personified as they are very well established and are least bothered about customer care (only in India).

My LG C9 65” OLED panel is dead 1 month after warranty expiration, and LG is not ready to provide the panel replaced under goodwill.

I had purchased the TV from offline store in Chennai during 2019 Diwali sale (Invoiced 27th Oct 2019) and it came with 3 years warranty. The TV was not turning on from 12th Dec 2022, and the authorized technician after the visit has informed that the panel needs to be replaced.

My panel was replaced in June 2022 ( 5 months ago) due to the same issue, and I am quite shocked to see that one of their top of the line TV panel lasted only for few months, that too I have used the new panel for less than 30 hours. The new panel cost Rs.1,02,500/-.

The sad part is that my TV has only 1020 hours of total turn on time as per the TV status. After the pandemic outbreak I was in native almost all of warranty period, and never got a chance to really use the TV.

Timeline

27th Oct 2019 – TV purchased.

Nov 2019 - TV delivered.

June 2020 - Stopped using TV as I moved to native due to work at home (TV Usage: 7 months)

May 2021 - Used for 1 month as I visited to clean and maintenance of flat. (Total TV Usage: 8 months)

June 2022 - Had asked a friend to check if all appliances are working fine, and found that the TV is not turning on. Raised a complaint and Identified that it is panel issue and got it was replaced under warranty. The TV didn’t function even on panel replacement, so the TV was carried to the service center by technician, and it was returned in working condition. My friend was managing this, and I am not aware what exactly was done to make it work, however I was told they have replaced new panel.

Sept 2022 – I moved back to Chennai and started using the TV.

3rd Dec 2022 - I travelled to native and upon returning after a week, the TV is not turning on again. I had removed all the wires from the power socket before going for vacation. Not sure how the panel could be dead with such minimal usage. (Total usage of the TV 12 months, With new panel 3 months).

12th Dec 2022 – Ticket raised for service.

15th Dec 2022- Identified panel issue.

Dec 21th – Informed LG official that the panel was replaced in last June, so he said that then the panel will come with 1 year warranty. He raised it to his manager who didn’t approve the panel replacement. The manager told him that there no chance for the panel will die in 3 months, and he wanted to try replacing the motherboard once. I raised a new request for this motherboard replacement.

23nd Dec 2022- Technician tried replacing the motherboard, but it still it didn’t work,so I asked them to get the panel replaced as I am eligible for 1 year on the new panel.

24th Dec 2022 - They checked the records again and informed me that the previous panel replacement was not a paid one, so I am not eligible for any warranty and I will have to pay for the replacement.

I contacted the technician that has replaced my panel in June to understand what was done on the TV apart from panel replacement. He said that some component “Jiq” was changed, I am not able to understand what it is. He promised to get the JIQ offline and test if it is really the panel issue, so I am waiting for this.

I suspect that either used/bad panel was provided to me under warranty, or I have been really unlucky with this TV. LG rep says that the warranty will expire on the mid night of the warranty end date and they will not provide any warranty after that . This experience will surely stop me from buying any high value purchase in future, and I think it is better off buying more affordable TV.

I would like to know whether anyone else have faced any similar issue with the TV and did LG provide a free panel replacement?
Bad luck dear , LG is a leader in oled technology , Had been using B9 from last 3 years without an a issue though i run pixel refresher regularly , my usage is 5/6 hours daily , I bought primarily for European Satelite tv as it has HDR 10 content on it , Bad luck

TV Service Status Update:

I have been following up with the service branch head through emails, explaining that the TV issue could be due to a manufacturing defect or misdiagnosis. The panel seems to work fine when connected to JIQ, but fails when connected to the motherboard.

On April 19th, the service center called me to inform that they cannot replace the panel for free, but they can negotiate the panel price. I had already mentioned in my earlier email that I can pay up to Rs. 25k. They informed me that they will try to get the discount.

On May 2nd, I was informed that the discount had been approved and the panel would be shipped. The cost would be Rs. 25k plus labor. The panel was delivered on May 4th, and a technician visited on May 7th to replace the panel. However, the new panel did not turn on after connecting to the motherboard.

He then connected the new panel to Jiq and it passed test ( just like my previous " faulty panel"). So technician suggested it might be smps issue.

I asked him why it was not tried to replace smps on my previous panel and how they decided to replace the costly panel instead of this. I was told that they had received a new advisory from LG last week only, that if panel passes JIQ test they have to try replacing smps.

He ordered smps from store and waited for an hour, while he pushed me for extended warranty with the amount I am going to save now. The cost for smps is around 7k including 1.5k labour.

The replaced smps showed same issue. Then he ordered a new motherboard, saying that since it is a new panel, a new motherboard might work.

Another 30mins of waiting and him complaining that the previous technician should not have raised faulty panel since that too passed JIQ.

The new mobo arrived and showed same result, he checked all cable and told one of the short cable connector have corrosion/ dust and that might be a contact issue. Since that part was not in stock, he tried cleaning it with a rubber(eraser) , but that too didn't work.

Now that he had tried replacing all component, except wifi module, status led and speakers. He then told the TV has to be recalled ( taken to service centre) where they analyze more.
However, I declined this as they had done the same thing under warranty last June 2022, and I was returned the TV in working condition, but without any clarity on the issue and the solution provided.

I told him to bring whatever he want to fix and do it at my place, so I was told that he will get that small connector tomorrow and try to connect it.

Will post once the connector is replaced hopefully this week.

I have been following up with the service branch head through emails, explaining that the TV issue could be due to a manufacturing defect or misdiagnosis. The panel seems to work fine when connected to JIQ, but fails when connected to the motherboard.

On April 19th, the service center called me to inform that they cannot replace the panel for free, but they can negotiate the panel price. I had already mentioned in my earlier email that I can pay up to Rs. 25k. They informed me that they will try to get the discount.

On May 2nd, I was informed that the discount had been approved and the panel would be shipped. The cost would be Rs. 25k plus labor. The panel was delivered on May 4th, and a technician visited on May 7th to replace the panel. However, the new panel did not turn on after connecting to the motherboard.

He then connected the new panel to Jiq and it passed test ( just like my previous " faulty panel"). So technician suggested it might be smps issue.

I asked him why it was not tried to replace smps on my previous panel and how they decided to replace the costly panel instead of this. I was told that they had received a new advisory from LG last week only, that if panel passes JIQ test they have to try replacing smps.

He ordered smps from store and waited for an hour, while he pushed me for extended warranty with the amount I am going to save now. The cost for smps is around 7k including 1.5k labour.

The replaced smps showed same issue. Then he ordered a new motherboard, saying that since it is a new panel, a new motherboard might work.

Another 30mins of waiting and him complaining that the previous technician should not have raised faulty panel since that too passed JIQ.

The new mobo arrived and showed same result, he checked all cable and told one of the short cable connector have corrosion/ dust and that might be a contact issue. Since that part was not in stock, he tried cleaning it with a rubber(eraser) , but that too didn't work.

Now that he had tried replacing all component, except wifi module, status led and speakers. He then told the TV has to be recalled ( taken to service centre) where they analyze more.
However, I declined this as they had done the same thing under warranty last June 2022, and I was returned the TV in working condition, but without any clarity on the issue and the solution provided.

I told him to bring whatever he want to fix and do it at my place, so I was told that he will get that small connector tomorrow and try to connect it.

So basically the diagnosis itself was not accurate. Still the root cause is not found. New panel doesn’t need new motherboard. Clueless technicians indeed

Looks like LG is providing On job training for their service technicians by using your TV as their testing unit. :-(

Update from 9th May

I called the service representative at what time he will be visiting to try replace the ribbon cable. I was told that another senior technician will visit today.
I called the other technician to check his available time, and I was told that the previous technician itself will come. Since there was no clarity between these guys, I asked them to discuss with they lead and let me know.

I received the call from their lead, that according to the technicians the TV has be to taken to service center for "more" analysis. I denied this, I was told that he will discuss with his manager and get back by evening.

Update from 10th May

Got the below whatsapp message from the Manager.
1683707066554.png

My options now are:
1) Allow the TV to be carried to service center. Looks like they offering the option for me to visit their service center is only a persuasive tactic to allow them to carry my TV.
2) Escalate issue again to higher official again
3) Try legal options and claim for the mental agony I have faced over the last 6 months.
4) Insist them to repair the TV at my home.

Technician came today to try replacing the ribbon cable. But LG had send him wrong cable by mistake. Instead of sending shorter of the 2 ribbon cables, they had send the longer one.

The technician left for the day, informing that he will call me once he gets the correct cable by tomorrow.

He took back the new smps and motherboard, new panel is still with me.

So finally after 5 months and 1 day of raising the complaint, the issue got resolved today.

There was no issue with the OLED panel, but it was wrongly diagnosed as a panel issue by the LG technicians. The actual issue was that there is some rust/fungus developed on connector cable.

The cable was replaced and the TV is working fine now, without any issues.

On Feb 19th , I had posted the possibility of wrong diagnose by LG technician here. But these technicians are very incompetent, and even though I raised this to technicians and their managers they were ready to listen.

Below are the chain of events that had happened as per my understanding.

June 2022: TV didn't turn on due to rust on connector. Technician wrongly diagnosed it as panel issue, and replaced panel under extended warranty. TV still didn't turn on as cable was not cleaned.

TV was then carried to service center for "more" analysis, and somehow when reconnecting few times the cable got a good connection and started working.

Technician wrongly thought that TV worked due to Pixel refresh completion and returned the TV with new(replaced) panel.

Dec 2022: I had not turned the TV ON for a week, as I was out of town. It was raining in Chennai, so the moisture could have again caused the rust or fungus to grow.
The technician again did the same mistake of flagging faulty panel.

May 2023: Panel was replaced, but the tv still didn't turn on. As I was paying from my pocket this time, I was adamant that I oversee their repair job.

I didn't allow them to carry the TV to their service center, and they had to a thorough step by step check and diagnose the exact issue, and found that the cable could be the culprit.
Replaced the rusted cable and it worked. Since my older panel was not faulty, technician removed the new panel and connected my older panel (anyway it was used for only 30 hours earlier) and it worked fine.

The newer panel was returned to LG

Expense

First Price Quoted by LG - rs. 1,29,318

Site Visit in Dec
Site visit charge in Dec = rs.472

Repair cost in May
Spare part = Rs.314
Labour = Rs.1859
---------------------------
Rs.2173

Total Damage : Rs.2173+rs.472 = Rs. 2,645 + a lot of mental stress.

Loss of LG: The panel that they replaced in June 2022 would not have been faulty. They wasted a good panel.

My Loss:
1) 5 months without tv
2) Lot of time for back and forth communication. Irritation for just loosing out of warranty by 7 days and being asked to pay 67k for replacement. Lot of dilemma whether to repair OLED or go for a cheaper new TV.
3) Lost Some good relation with LG sellers. As I had to use pressure tactics to push them to get better offer for panel replacement.
4) Chance to get a panel replacement under goodwill. I think LG normally provides only 1 panel replacement and I already got it in last June. Probably they will not offer anything next time.
5) Rs.2654/- , if the issue was correctly diagnosed in June 2022, the cable should have been replaced at that time under extended warranty.

Anyway it is finally settled. Happy to have my TV back.
Till yesterday my OLED was showing only absolute black , today it is showing absolute black along with other stunning colors ;) .

Thanks to all fellow members and mods for your help and guidance.

Attachments

• TV.jpeg
    TV.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Cables.jpeg
    Cables.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 35
Maybe there is some other issue/defect in the TV which is frying the panel? panel goes bad and then another panel goes bad in just 30 hours of usage is a unique scenario.

This is what I posted at the start of the thread on Jan 21, looked like some other defect from the start.

This is what I posted at the start of the thread on Jan 21, looked like some other defect from the start.
Yes. Have been trying to convince the same to LG service from the beginning. Only once we interact with them after the warranty period, we will know how unprofessional they are.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back