My Bad experience with LG C9 65” OLED

When our TVs are not functional, thats when we regret having gone for big screens, latest technologies, panel types, pricing, lack of support etc... This forum had always been encouraging new gadgets purchase. But these reports of experiences during repair times, will surely make us think twice on high expenditures for things that can go wrong anytime. I really dont know what to say as I also recently gave up on unavailability of spare parts at their (Sony's) end and have given it to a local technician who has been saying please wait for the spare part that will come from China after playing hide and seek.They want me to exchange it for almost same price of a new TV instead of providing spare parts to fix it. My work overload prevents me to take them to consumer courts or spend time fighting their lame rebuttals.

Last edited:
When our TVs are not functional, thats when we regret having gone for big screens, latest technologies, panel types, pricing, lack of support etc... This forum had always been encouraging new gadgets purchase. But these reports of experiences during repair times, will surely make us think twice on high expenditures for things that can go wrong anytime. I really dont know what to say as I also recently gave up on unavailability of spare parts at their (Sony's) end and have given it to a local technician who has been saying please wait for the spare part that will come from China after playing hide and seek.They want me to exchange it for almost same price of a new TV instead of providing spare parts to fix it. My work overload prevents me to take them to consumer courts or spend time fighting their lame rebuttals.
Totally agree with you.

In India, we have one of the very lowest Per capital income and comparing to other countries we end up paying very high price for TVs and other equipment. Also we get low warranty period on most of our electronic products.

On top of this, LG service representative had the audacity to tell me that "Warranty is like life insurance, on 12am of the expiry date it is void. After that the customer has to bear the expenses". I would never recommend anyone to buy a product from such a brand. I feel they don't have any goodwill.

I would never recommend anyone to buy a product from such a brand. I feel they don't have any goodwill.
other brands are even worse. Sony and Samsung for sure won’t replace any faulty parts post warranty and there are multiple cases where LG as replaced for free. Sony is garbage. Post warranty they will only try and convince u to buy a new tv. My 75k 43inch 3d tv was in excellent condition and only T con board went faulty. It should cost around 4-6k and Sony said part not available and only offer was that I get a new Sony tv and they will give 5-10% discount with exchange. Rubbish

It looks like this link is for US customers. If there is a link available for India or Global, it would have been better.
I would say go ahead and try it and frame your message nicely conveying that after trying at several places with no help, you are finally resorting to writing to US office.

I would say go ahead and try it and frame your message nicely conveying that after trying at several places with no help, you are finally resorting to writing to US office.

Yes. its is a good idea to drum up as much of noise as possible in these scenarios.

Something similar happened for me with panasonic ST30 (Plasma TV) , at the end of the day , i think i would call the manager or whoever incharge and ask for a exchange with latest LG OLED TV for less price and better warranty offer. Panasonic did something similar for me.

If you can get a newer or even c1 for almost half the price with 5 or so years warranty , which i am sure these guys are capable of providing. In case they dont , and you are running out of choice and there is clear mistake on LG part , better to get them to consumer court or even tell them there is a slight possiblity , they might give you a year or two old TV for less price.

Earlier today, I had tweeted the issue along with this link to LGIndia.

I immediately got whatsapp message from LG Chennai service center with the quote for the panel.
It is rs.66252/- for the panel ( the price is after 50% discount + labour + transport).

I also got call from LG social media escalation. I explained them the situation, and that I will not accept the price as I was able to use the last panel only for 30 hours. He has informed that the issue will be escalated from their end too.

Is it like if we dont use it, we lose it, in electronics? Why seldom used panels are going kaput?

Maybe there is some other issue/defect in the TV which is frying the panel? panel goes bad and then another panel goes bad in just 30 hours of usage is a unique scenario.

I had mentioned the panel price as rs.1,02,500 in my first post is incorrect. The price is rs.1,26,066 + Transport + service

Rs.66, 252 is the quote after 50% discount.
IMG-20230124-WA0033.jpg

Last edited:
Hi op,
Thank you for this post, it is real eyeopener. I see myself as future customer of LG and this post frankly scares me. I hope LG fixes this issue asap. Also, I wonder why would't LG offer warrenty on repairs. I mean they should take care least minimal 6 months. Also, the on-call fights with LG is such a shame considering we are buying the top of the line LG products.
Your result/ response will surely influence my decision to go for LG OLEDs. Please keep us posted.

I got the below response from LG now.

Dear LG Customer, We took utmost effort to complete your Request RNP221221019028 but unfortunately not able to complete hence cancelling your request without any charges. For any support use https://lg-chatbot.com/web/il?locale=en_IN or any escalation to Head of Service use https://bit.ly/lg-escalation-support

It looks like LG is not having any goodwill anymore.

My LG C9 65” OLED panel is dead 1 month after warranty expiration, and LG is not ready to provide the panel replaced under goodwill.

I had purchased the TV from offline store in Chennai during 2019 Diwali sale (Invoiced 27th Oct 2019) and it came with 3 years warranty. The TV was not turning on from 12th Dec 2022, and the authorized technician after the visit has informed that the panel needs to be replaced.

My panel was replaced in June 2022 ( 5 months ago) due to the same issue, and I am quite shocked to see that one of their top of the line TV panel lasted only for few months, that too I have used the new panel for less than 30 hours. The new panel cost Rs.1,02,500/-.

The sad part is that my TV has only 1020 hours of total turn on time as per the TV status. After the pandemic outbreak I was in native almost all of warranty period, and never got a chance to really use the TV.

Timeline

27th Oct 2019 – TV purchased.

Nov 2019 - TV delivered.

June 2020 - Stopped using TV as I moved to native due to work at home (TV Usage: 7 months)

May 2021 - Used for 1 month as I visited to clean and maintenance of flat. (Total TV Usage: 8 months)

June 2022 - Had asked a friend to check if all appliances are working fine, and found that the TV is not turning on. Raised a complaint and Identified that it is panel issue and got it was replaced under warranty. The TV didn’t function even on panel replacement, so the TV was carried to the service center by technician, and it was returned in working condition. My friend was managing this, and I am not aware what exactly was done to make it work, however I was told they have replaced new panel.

Sept 2022 – I moved back to Chennai and started using the TV.

3rd Dec 2022 - I travelled to native and upon returning after a week, the TV is not turning on again. I had removed all the wires from the power socket before going for vacation. Not sure how the panel could be dead with such minimal usage. (Total usage of the TV 12 months, With new panel 3 months).

12th Dec 2022 – Ticket raised for service.

15th Dec 2022- Identified panel issue.

Dec 21th – Informed LG official that the panel was replaced in last June, so he said that then the panel will come with 1 year warranty. He raised it to his manager who didn’t approve the panel replacement. The manager told him that there no chance for the panel will die in 3 months, and he wanted to try replacing the motherboard once. I raised a new request for this motherboard replacement.

23nd Dec 2022- Technician tried replacing the motherboard, but it still it didn’t work,so I asked them to get the panel replaced as I am eligible for 1 year on the new panel.

24th Dec 2022 - They checked the records again and informed me that the previous panel replacement was not a paid one, so I am not eligible for any warranty and I will have to pay for the replacement.

I contacted the technician that has replaced my panel in June to understand what was done on the TV apart from panel replacement. He said that some component “Jiq” was changed, I am not able to understand what it is. He promised to get the JIQ offline and test if it is really the panel issue, so I am waiting for this.

I suspect that either used/bad panel was provided to me under warranty, or I have been really unlucky with this TV. LG rep says that the warranty will expire on the mid night of the warranty end date and they will not provide any warranty after that . This experience will surely stop me from buying any high value purchase in future, and I think it is better off buying more affordable TV.

I would like to know whether anyone else have faced any similar issue with the TV and did LG provide a free panel replacement?
My two cents - sell your LG and buy bravia :) *just kidding* sony and samsung service are just way better - at least in bangalore. LG leaves a bit to be desired. Plus I am hopelessly biased in favour of Sony picture quality.

as per the LG customer support team,

My extended warranty expired on 5th Dec 2022 and I raised the complaint on 12th Dec 2022. As per them, they honor warranty only till 12midnight of 5th Dec only, and because of that I am not eligible for free panel replacement.

I dont think I should pay rs.66k to get this panel replaced, can anyone suggest a route forward?

as per the LG customer support team,

My extended warranty expired on 5th Dec 2022 and I raised the complaint on 12th Dec 2022. As per them, they honor warranty only till 12midnight of 5th Dec only, and because of that I am not eligible for free panel replacement.

I dont think I should pay rs.66k to get this panel replaced, can anyone suggest a route forward?
For such a premium product,This is very horrible support from LG.
I'm not going to consider any LG product .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back