My Bad experience with LG C9 65” OLED

as per the LG customer support team,

My extended warranty expired on 5th Dec 2022 and I raised the complaint on 12th Dec 2022. As per them, they honor warranty only till 12midnight of 5th Dec only, and because of that I am not eligible for free panel replacement.

I dont think I should pay rs.66k to get this panel replaced, can anyone suggest a route forward?
Though it may sound funny but check with some TV dealers if they are interested in taking your current TV + some money in exchange for a new TV? I am suggesting this because it would cost way less for the dealers to replace the panel. It is always the end-users who suffer. I would suggest going to an LG dealer who have TVs from other brands too.

Never had any good experience with LG products, starting with what I experienced on my old TV set and this doesn't come in any surprice to me.Will stay away from any LG product going forward. Sony or Samsung would be my choice, considering I'm using Sony LED for past 9+ yrs also never had any issue with Samsung for past 2 yrs though its usage is much less.

Never had any good experience with LG products, starting with what I experienced on my old TV set and this doesn't come in any surprice to me.Will stay away from any LG product going forward. Sony or Samsung would be my choice, considering I'm using Sony LED for past 9+ yrs also never had any issue with Samsung for past 2 yrs though its usage is much less.

Have an equally bad or maybe even worse experience with Samsung refusing to help out for a panel outside warranty by a few days. Their quoted price for panel was about 80% of their price for a latest model of same lineup.

LG on the contrary helped me out when my panel was outside warranty by asking me to pay for extra warranty (about 40k) and replacing the panel which still runs fine (about 2 years since replacement). I did not push for any free replacement as I felt it was a fair ask.

I think it's just about being at the right place at the right time. Also I don't think TVs or any other electronics are designed with the intent to last anymore unfortunately, not justifying their intent but more of something taken as a given thing these days.

After waiting for a month, LG technician got the Jiq to test the panel today.

He verified all the voltages on the motherboard are fine. He connected the panel to the device and generated all the test patterns on the display. It is displaying all the colors as expected.

Suggested to leave the TV on for next 2 hours , so that it might do a pixel refresh automatically and resets. He recorded all the test results in video and left.

We kept the TV ON for more than 2 hours but the display didn't turn on even after that. So he suspect there might be some internal short in the "LED" inside the panel, that might be "loading" the motherboard.

Technician told that he will show the recorded videos to TSE tomorrow and confirm that it is the panel issue.

Murphy's law at work. Here are the odds - 1) a TV that was not used much 2) repair happened after the warranty period 3) not a big help from LG 4) one of the trial and error trouble shoot technic fails!

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong sort of blues.

After waiting for a month, LG technician got the Jiq to test the panel today.

He verified all the voltages on the motherboard are fine. He connected the panel to the device and generated all the test patterns on the display. It is displaying all the colors as expected.

Suggested to leave the TV on for next 2 hours , so that it might do a pixel refresh automatically and resets. He recorded all the test results in video and left.

We kept the TV ON for more than 2 hours but the display didn't turn on even after that. So he suspect there might be some internal short in the "LED" inside the panel, that might be "loading" the motherboard.

Technician told that he will show the recorded videos to TSE tomorrow and confirm that it is the panel issue.

Technician confirmed that it is the panel issue due to some internal short. There is nothing they can help on this, and replacing the entire panel is the only option.

Such a bad luck, warranty expired on Dec 5th and product dead on Dec 12th and I have to spend over rs. 66,000 for getting it replaced. 🤢

A question to all LG OLED owners, whats the standard warranty on OLED panel.
My 2021 Jan purchased 65CX gave up last week after 2 years of service and it developed one thin vertical line on the panel, which I felt can be sorted out as shown in youtube but it didn't worked and I approached LG people, technician came and after verifying the issue, taking pics and taking serial number of the panel by opening the rear, he told me that "I am placing the order for panel which will come in 5 days".
Curiously I asked him how much it's going to cost me and his response was 110K but it's covered under warranty hence I need not to pay.
BTW I had Panasonic 55" OLED purchased in 2020 and it developed multiple burnet pixels within 6 months of usages and after multiple complains and escalation over twitter they took the TV back and refunded my purchase amount.
Somehow I felt that life span of new age TV's has gone down drastically or I got lemons.
If the current TV gives up again I think better I'll move to Sony OLED's, they are also having LG panels but the integration might be better.

I think this thread is a Big Eye-opener for potential LG OLED TV buyers to stay away from it.
The problem is, no other TVs gives satisfaction as these OLEDs :(

Running LG C9 for the past 3 years, so far going good with around 3500 hours of viewing. Hope it serves me for another two years.

Having said that, Are these issues something related to wall mounting, due to lack of air circulation/heat generated by the TV?

Somehow I felt that life span of new age TV's has gone down drastically or I got lemons.
If the current TV gives up again I think better I'll move to Sony OLED's, they are also having LG panels but the integration might be better.
Can't trust anything now, such expensive tvs capping out in 2-3 years. And you said Sony, that will fare even worse. Sample this and many more
Sony quality control

The problem is, no other TVs gives satisfaction as these OLEDs :(

Running LG C9 for the past 3 years, so far going good with around 3500 hours of viewing. Hope it serves me for another two years.

Having said that, Are these issues something related to wall mounting, due to lack of air circulation/heat generated by the TV?
My LG wall mounts is not like a surface mount. IMO, there is quite a gap between the tv and wall.

Hi op,
Thank you for this post, it is real eyeopener. I see myself as future customer of LG and this post frankly scares me. I hope LG fixes this issue asap. Also, I wonder why would't LG offer warrenty on repairs. I mean they should take care least minimal 6 months. Also, the on-call fights with LG is such a shame considering we are buying the top of the line LG products.
Your result/ response will surely influence my decision to go for LG OLEDs. Please keep us posted.
It is better to stay away from LG OLEDs.

My replaced panel lasted only 30 hours of usage. The technician after inspection said that there might be some internal short inside the panel that doesn't allow the TV to start.

If panels are designed this way, there is no point in spending such huge amount on them. I wish I had bought some cheap brands instead of trusting on big brand like LG. I would have easily scrapped it and bought a new one.

It is better to stay away from LG OLEDs.
Just wait till Diwali :D Sad that even after such success and replacing many panels post warranty for free LG didn’t consider this case. Very obvious it’s a faulty panel

My Panasonic Plasma 2012 65" vintage with 3D is still going strong. Around 2.65L well spent. None of the current led/oleds can beat that black. It is a joy watching movies in it. This was made by Panasonic by hiring the Pioneer Kuro team, which is one of the most famous TV made till date. The HDMI ARC capability is flawless and it switches on or with my avr, firestick, sony ps5, raspberry PI and gadgets made in today's times. The front is full glass and the tv is heavy requiring 3 abled bodied people to lift it. It is a power guzzler though. The air in front of the screen gets real hot. I also have a 4k ultra hd shitty 55" HiSense sitting in the bedroom which no one wants to watch and it comes with the world's shittiest designed remote control and a crappy so called android tv.

Pioneer announced in February 2009 that they would exit the TV business by March 2010 to concentrate on car and audio/visual systems. Pioneer has since sold many of the Kuro's patents to Panasonic, the only other significant television manufacturer that concentrated on plasmas, and many of the latest Panasonic Viera plasma panels utilize the Kuro's technologies.
Despite the discontinuation of production, used Kuro TVs have a cult following on the secondary market

Last edited:
Based on these horror stories, it is best to buy cheap TVs like consumables use them till and replace them when they die. Picture quality features etc can take a walk. What is the use of 4k IJHD thin OLED / etc goodness if it fails?
Then in India one has to beg the company / service centre/ warranty fights etc who are usually most unhelpful ?
Have two dead plasmas one dead CRT.

Bought a cheap eye plus 55 4k incher for Rs 40000/- straight from their factory made in Malaysia 3 years replacement. Comes with a tri luminous panel. Black levels quite good etc. Was satisfied with picture quality.

Somewhere in this forum I read that MI replaced their TV to a FM 5 or 6 times due to some faulty panel or some mother board issue but I think later the FM chose to get a refund as he was still not satisfied with the outcome. Maybe it was during the warranty period but if MI can do that why not the bigger players like LG, Samsung or Sony does not even consider it? Seems like it is to better stick with unknown brand TV's now as even if it fails in couple of years we will not get such heartbreak.

Somewhere in this forum I read that MI replaced their TV to a FM 5 or 6 times due to some faulty panel or some mother board issue but I think later the FM chose to get a refund as he was still not satisfied with the outcome. Maybe it was during the warranty period but if MI can do that why not the bigger players like LG, Samsung or Sony does not even consider it? Seems like it is to better stick with unknown brand TV's now as even if it fails in couple of years we will not get such heartbreak.
Mi was tipping its toes on big screen tvs at that time and cannot afford negative publicity for the product..
Big 3 on the their hand can do this as they know, many of us, including here blindly recommend them as *they are better*!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back