Edifier or F&d or Logitech

rish1690

hi i need suggestion on edifire da5000 pro vs f&d 6000u or logitech z906
it will be blind call for me as i cant take audition here in mumbai,tried reliance digital but they dont have any of this model in demo
i will be using this sytem with my sony bravia LEd tv
can spend upto 20k

hi i need suggestion on edifire da5000 pro vs f&d 6000u or logitech z906
it will be blind call for me as i cant take audition here in mumbai,tried reliance digital but they dont have any of this model in demo
i will be using this sytem with my sony bravia LEd tv
can spend upto 20k

How do u plan to connect either of these with your TV? If you want true 5.1 audio , ur TV sgould have digital optical out. In that case, Logitech 906 is the only logical choice. Please list the things (PC/DVD player/media player/AVR) that u r planning to connect and it will be lot easier for us to answer.

i dont have any avr ,i have sony 700b 42 inch LED which have digital audio out, and i am using tata sky HD , i have my desktop and lappy with HDMI ports. thats all. just in search of good sound exp. :)

yeah sounds kool Yamaha 196. but saw 196 is out dated and now 199 is der with some new stuff. but i belive its not der in india yet

i dont have any avr ,i have sony 700b 42 inch LED which have digital audio out, and i am using tata sky HD , i have my desktop and lappy with HDMI ports. thats all. just in search of good sound exp. :)

Cool. Then like i said earlier the other two (F&D and Edifier) are ruled out as they do not have digital inputs. For 5.1 from satellite channels, U could connect Logitech 906 to optical or coaxial out of tatasky HD itself. For everything else which i am guessing will come through TV (USB, Lappy or Desktop via HDMI), let it connect to TV. Note that Logitech 906 has both coaxial as well as Optical inputs. So u can keep both Tatasky and TV connected all the time.

Now coming to why others are recommending AVR to you, note that an AVR based set up at the minimum has the following advantages:

1) Speaker upgrade: U r not limited to he provided speakers. Whenever u have budget in future, U could get any speakers from other brands and enhance the sound via the Yamaha AVR. In logitech u r limited to use the provided set up for ever.

2) Prologic II: Stereo source sound upmixing to 5.1 channels is better done by AVR when compared to Logitech.

3) Multiple HDMI inputs: AVR provides more HDMI inputs for any additional equipment in future so you are not limited to the HDMi inputs on back of your TV.

Btw, for your requirements , 196 model of yamaha is not dated. Note that the only major drawback of 196 is that it does not decode HD audio (It is compatible, meaning it can accept HD signals but will not output HD audio). But thats not a deal breaker because any HD channels at the moment does not have HD audio at all - its just normal 5.1. Due to bandwidth constraints, for indian HD television, i dont see HD audio happening at all in future as well.

However if you plan to source audio from downloaded content via lappy or USB, then if the content has HD audio, only then u ll need a better AVR.

So thats it. Think about your requirements, and take a acall if you wanna be future ready to increase ur budget by another 5-10K and get an AVR based system. Else, as of now, I also feel Logitech Z906 is a very successful model and will do absolutely fine for your current needs. So go for it.

Hope that helps.

Very good points, Htfan.

Let me repeat, If you will watch blurays, then only HD audio comes to consideration. If your content is mainly DVD/Downloaded movies, then Z906 or Yamaha 196 is best.

By the way, I am using z906 for last 2 year. Great fun. Though, as I watch blurays now often, will upgrade to AVR+speaker very soon.

Go for an entry level Home Theatre set like Yamaha YHT 196 YHT 199 or Check with Pro FX if they have any entry level systems which meets your budget....

@htfan17 Good one buddy,cleared lots of doubts .very helpful post.ill decide , inclined towards Avr,will wait for few month to get good budget.
yeah and one more thing i only watch blueray movies 1080 prints. its worth to wait for 1080 prints :)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back