EL84 SET Amp Build.

Hi Raghu,

Congratulations on Excellent build. Have always had a fascination for tube amps. I guess I would have to come to Hyderabad now!!:eek:hyeah:

Raghu, seeing the picture of the cinema hall, forgot about the amp. Brilliant build. Out of curiosity, what circuit have you used? I have collected some components and hope to build the famous Mullard 3-3 when I am back. Here is the design page: Mullard 3-3. Three Watt Amplifier

This will be my very first tube project.

How is this in compare with Dynaco Amp? Which one you like?
If I am right your last tube build was Dynaco ST-70.
Thank you Arun,
Dynaco ST-70 can drive all kind of speakers because it is push pull at
35W/channel. SET 84 need more than 90db speakers.
SET EL84 sounding better than Dynaco. Details are amazing to compare with ST-70.

Thank you
Raghunadh

I spent an hour with this amplifier at FM Sameer's place driving his Line Magnetic speakers. Source was computer audio into Berkeley Audio Alpha usb/spdif converter into an Ayon Skylla II DAC. The LM single driver speakers were augmented by a pair of Omega subwoofers (and Sameer had connected a pair of super tweeters as well). All signal cables were Acoustic Revive single core series . I was quite impressed by the capabilities of this 2.5 watter in Sameer's well treated and dedicated listening room. Excellent tonality with piano tracks, vast soundstage and accurate imaging. Treble was smooth, however I felt bass frequencies suffered a bit despite the subwoofers, and I would blame proper speaker sensitivity and efficiency matching over any overt amplifier shortcomings. I would imagine this amp. will sound sublime with a speaker sensitivity 96db or more. Vocals were very well rendered, especially female vocals and midrange was lush and fleshed out. In the company of all the high cost/end partnering equipment this relatively affordable amplifier was very comfortable - that in itself an excellent sign. Get in touch with Raghunadh to get more info. Another superlative build by Raghunadh.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• decware.jpg
    decware.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Subs were active or passive?

Regards,

Subs are active, however they were calibrated for integration to the mains using a Line Magnetic amplifier which has higher output. Since we didn't have the time we did not calibrate the subs back to the decware amp. (actually I was involved in the original calibration with Sameer - it took us at-least 2-3 hours using a sound level meter and test frequencies). Perhaps upon recalibration the lower frequencies would have better integration. and I would have been satisfied. I believe the LM speakers cut off at 70-80hz and then the subs take over till about 40 hz. It would have been this range where we would have had to make changes to the x-over frequency. Something one needs to consider I guess. However when we first connected the decware amp. we didn't connect the subs., and I felt that the low frequencies were more mitigated compared to when we did the same with the LM amp (ie without subs).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I am using the sibling of this amp, made by the ace diyer Raghu.

I have paired it with a highly efficient vintage triaxial speakers and it does the complete justice to my musical taste which mainly includes old Hindi movie songs, ghazals, soft rock and country music, and produces very addictive sound.

IMG_20150712_160257_zps62pk5luh.jpg

-sann'

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back