Electric Shaver

vinay

I have been using at times an electric shaver, but now i have decided to give up the usual razor completely and i have bought for myself a new and advanced one.

The link is as follows.

RQ1050/17 Philips arcitec Electric shaver RQ1050 with Flex and Pivot Action - Philips Support

It is expensive, but i am sure it is worth it, i have been using it daily now for about a fortnight, and i am very happy with the results so i thought that i will share this news with the forum.

V.

I have been using at times an electric shaver, but now i have decided to give up the usual razor completely and i have bought for myself a new and advanced one.

The link is as follows.

RQ1050/17 Philips arcitec Electric shaver RQ1050 with Flex and Pivot Action - Philips Support

It is expensive, but i am sure it is worth it, i have been using it daily now for about a fortnight, and i am very happy with the results so i thought that i will share this news with the forum.

V.

good one vinay!-

and it is funny how different people go different ways -

i started with the electric shaver - moved down to 3 blade safety razor -was horrified by the cost of a single blade (in excess of 100 rupees for a piece) - moved down to a loadable gillette - having given up on shaving creams and foams along the way -

have recently been thinking of getting a leather strop and razor-
Leather Strop

I would like to know :
does daily use of electric shave cause the beard to harden/turn green ??

Something Different

Hello Mickey,

Thanks for the writing.

The one which you are having is a grooming kit, which can not do the daily shaving, it seems you have a beard, for which you are using the kit and sure it has other uses too, I am also having the same from panasonic company.

The one i have bought is used for daily electric shaving. I paid for it Rs.10,000/-.

V.

Last edited:
Drawbacks Not Visible Until Now

Hello Spidey,

I have been using the electric shaver for about 3 years but not frequently, during this phase i did not witness hard or green beard but since now i have given up razor completely, with now daily shave via electric razor if such or other problems occur i shall be frank enough to write the drawbacks.

V.

Electric Shaver Too Good

Well one of our esteem member was checking with me how is the shaver doing and from where did i buy, so i thought i will write the details on this thread, so that others can also see if they want to benefit from this information.

It is over a month i have bought this electric shaver, and it is rocking so far, in all these days i have not once used the regular razor and foam. I am likely to achieve my purpose of using only a electric shaver.

In general there are several myths that such kind of a shaver is not good for the skin etc, though it could be true in some cases, but over all i think it should do very fine.

One of the main benefits of this shaver is that the growth of your shave hair will be around 50% less, which shall mean you can delay your next shaving if need be.

I had bought this item from croma in mumbai. It is any day better to import from abroad via amazon etc because it will work out much cheaper and you will get the latest model, here what they are selling is a 2 year old model.

V.

From past some time I had thought about buying an electric shaver though not very seriously. Performance issues of a thing which is expensive and never used earlier surely holds one back. This post advocates for the electric shavers and I have heard atleast 1 similar review from another person. So it might be a good idea to buy one of these.

Members can also check shavers from "Braun". I dont know about philips particularly but these days most companies sell china made electric items while personal care stuff from Braun is German made.

The shavers start from around 1000/- for the most basic model and can run into 1000's. Though if chosing Braun I would advise dont buy a basic model and atleast go for the next level one which is around 2400/-.

Well same here even i wanted to buy a electric shaver but was hesitant. I was in Manali for a ski course around 3 years ago for over 45 days and was sharing the room with this guy, and he was using this shaver, i had borrowed from him twice and used it, so the confidence level grew and i bought the mid level quality for Rs.2,500/-.

I have been using the shaver on and of, but was not very happy with the finish of shaving, during this time i decided that i want to go for the expensive one, but since it was costing over Rs.10,000/- that made me very reluctant to buy, again i was fortunate enough that i was at the Philips service center for repair of my juicer, there this guy came to repair this expensive shaver, i had a chat with him for 30 minutes, and he assured me that all will go well, as he has been using the shaver for more then 10 years, so this set the ball rolling and i bought one, it is a wonder full experience.

I think my Philips is not china made, but i did see Braun, which is a better brand and moreover made in Germany, but still i did not go for it because, the one which i was using earlier had the same type of straight in-direct shaving blades which braun was having while this Philips which i bought has got 3 round blades, and looked very attractive.

V.

I have been using Philips shaver for last 15 years (bought from Singapore) and I have seen how their models change from time to time.

They last for a long time since all of them are still made in Holland (Not those cheap Chinese Philips stuff )

Presently I am using one of their 8000 series and they are very good.I get skin rash whenever I use normal shaving blade.

Hello Deba,

Actually i think the people who got into such shavers is because of their fragile skin which could not cope up with the routine blade.

I had no such fragile issues, i went for such shaver because i found the concept very unique.

One thing is for sure, if one ventures into these shavers for the first time, it may take quite some time in getting used to it.

How much did you pay for the 8000 series, and from where did you buy, please see if you can provide the link, and since how long have you been using this series, how different it is compared to the earlier one which you were using.

V.

an interesting article on the environmental costs of shaving...

"My friends are always arguing about the relative merits of electric and disposable razors. All the debate over closeness of shave, maintenance, and the ability to do one's grooming while stuck in traffic is wearing me out, so I'm putting my decision in Mother Earth's hands. Which kind of razor is better for the environment?"

you can read the rest here...

What's the greenest way to shave? - By Brian Palmer - Slate Magazine

bottom line: the electric shaver is better for the environment than the disposable.

Hi fellow members, I was wondering how to decide whether to use razor or electric shaver?

I currently use razor (Mach3). What avantages would I have if I switch to a medium grade electric shaver? Also which is preferable for Acne?

If environment is an overriding concern then grow a foot long beard!

I recommend buying a shaver for less than 1000/- from the Philips or braun stable before plunging into a 5000 rupee investment a year later.

I also got a foamless chemical free shaving cream that does not need a shaving brush and takes half the time than a regular shave.it takes getting used to but once you start you will quit the chemical stinking regular shaves.

HTH

If environment is an overriding concern then grow a foot long beard!

HTH

well the beard could be trimmed with scissors..:D
anyway shaving is one area in which you cannot accuse the Chinese of being too hard on the environment...

@ gobble, do you shave with or against the grain?
Does an electric shaver give you the same close shave as an against the grain shave?

@ gobble, do you shave with or against the grain?
Does an electric shaver give you the same close shave as an against the grain shave?

Never! My skin normally burns for the whole day after a shave and my beard tends to grow perpendicular to the chin everywhere anyways ( the taar brush effect) so I don't try such tricks. Yes against the grain is the best shave!!! But I use mach3 and its good enough. The electric shaver leaves residual hair on the neck portion and I tend to notice after I've stepped out of home :mad: otherwise it is a welcome change from wet shaves. I now alternate once in a while... Not as good as wet shave against the grain either

HTH

I've been using a cheap little battery-operated Panasonic shaver for my face and neck for years now. Works better than a blade for me! Soon after I went cleanhead, I bought a Philips 6990 - wanted to try out a basic 3-head rotary before blowing a bundle on a fancy model.

The 6990 leaves stubble all over my head and misses the occasional little tuft or two - I now follow up with the little Panny and presto! Bare skin to the touch, even against the grain :D I suspect that oscillating heads shave closer than the rotaries.

It's just that there's no variety to pick from here. :annoyed:

I've been using a cheap little battery-operated Panasonic shaver for my face and neck for years now. Works better than a blade for me! Soon after I went cleanhead, I bought a Philips 6990 - wanted to try out a basic 3-head rotary before blowing a bundle on a fancy model.

The 6990 leaves stubble all over my head and misses the occasional little tuft or two - I now follow up with the little Panny and presto! Bare skin to the touch, even against the grain :D I suspect that oscillating heads shave closer than the rotaries.

It's just that there's no variety to pick from here. :annoyed:

you are having shaver of the head??!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back