Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

audiodelic

Emotiva UMC-1 : Upcoming Preamplifier-Processor.
One hell of a pre with some awesome niche market audio enthusiast oriented features. Check it out guys its going to be released in the summer.
Emotiva Audio :: Audiophile Quality Home Electronics at Factory Direct Prices; Multi Channel Amplifiers, Sound Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems
bottom of the first page

Partial list of features:

* 4) HDMI inputs and 1) HDMI output.
* 4) each composite and s-video inputs
* 3) component inputs - all will be scaled and set out over HDMI at whatever resolution you want up to 1080p.
* DVI and VGA inputs which will be scaled and piped out the HDMI
* Full color graphical OSD on HDMI
* Auto room correction with User definable EQ's.
* 4) analog audio inputs (not counting the 7.1 analog input),
* 4) coaxial inputs,
* 3) optical inputs and both coax and optical digital audio outputs
* continuous 2 channel mix down of the audio on a fixed output level, as well as variable and independent Zone 2 output and an analog record output.
* Built in AM/FM tuner, trigger output
* IR in and outputs
* iPOD connectivity
* USB for complete flash upgrades (no need to ever send it in for an update),
* Calibration microphone.
* Deep menu structure that allows for assigning the inputs and selecting default modes per input.
* HD formats including DTS-MA.

Hi,

I did check out the link. Its impressive. One question: Your power amp specs are " Power Requirements (All Channels Driven into 8 ohms): 1500 watts @ 120 volts AC, 60hz input". How are you powering up this beast in India?? Thanks.

I think most of Emotiva Equipment is built in China (outsourcing) so they all have some sort of dual voltage setting. Automatic or sometimes a switch at the back.

The LPA-1 had full automatic rail switching so i just need to just plug it in and enjoy. I haven't hooked it up yet cos i'm still buying my Pre-amp/Receiver with pre outs.

I am hoping this would be the processor preamplifier replacing my aging yamaha rx-v661 someday.

But Emotiva only sell online and would not be available in India. So no warranty and further the shipping charges cost as much as the cost of the processor or more. Otherwise quite a nice set of features for the money asked 699$

I am hoping this would be the processor preamplifier replacing my aging yamaha rx-v661 someday.

first of all thanks for starting this thread
i too am thinking abt the umc-1 , waiting for first hand user reviews, am considering this unit to replace my onk 875 avr ,which i am using only as a pre/processor

the pricing is the best part here 700usd
going thro various forums i found that the emotiva products does have a lot of fans in US

really dont know how good the umc-1 wud turn out to be

Last edited:
are the cirrus video processor used by emo umc-1 good enough wnen compared`to reon of onkyo

wish the umc-1 had 2 hdmi out

jst saw on the net that the nxt /higher version too will be released soon

Last edited:
are the cirrus video processor used by emo umc-1 good enough wnen compared`to reon of onkyo

wish the umc-1 had 2 hdmi out

jst saw on the net that the nxt /higher version too will be released soon

im not sure i think the reon would be better but the cirrus processor emo is using is not their in any other receivers well know concrete results only next month.

ya the xmc -1, maybe wait for that this might become cheaper in the longer run

I think that the umc 1 is not a good video processor. The HQV reon chips are supposed to be the best out there. Further, in my opinion the umc1 is more regarding its audio capabilitites

Hey Friends! I shall be thankful if you could please tell me if this UMC-1 PrePro can be used with a Yamaha DSP-Z9 AVR? I mean use the analog outputs (7.1) from UMC-1 to feed Yamaha's 7.1 Analog Inputs and use it as an amp for the UMC-1. Making this a PrePro/Amp Setup? 'cos the amp of the Z9 is simply mind blowing.

I feel this can be done effectively with all the older receivers not having the HDMI or lacking HD-Audio decoding.

Is there any kind of unwanted load or burden on the AVR this way?

Thanx & Regards.

I think that the umc 1 is not a good video processor. The HQV reon chips are supposed to be the best out there. Further, in my opinion the umc1 is more regarding its audio capabilitites

audio capabilites is what matters for my set up
as for video it will be set as through from source ie bdp
will not be looking @ upscaling any sd content

any comments?

need to make a choice btw the umc-1 and marantz AV8003

but why do u want to use an external pre/processor as the DSP-Z9 itself is one hell of an AVR

if you are looking at HD audio then definetly i think u cud use an external pre
ie by connecting the pre outs of the pre to the multichannel ins of the AVR

i think the avr will be relived of the extra duties of processing and decoding, which will be done by the external processor as only the internal amps will be on duty

Yes Subhash, it's the HD-Audio. Other way is to use 7.1 Analog Output from a BDP like Panasonic BD-80 etc. and an HDMI Switcher for seamless connectivity.

Although, my main criteria is AUDIO. Video can be sent directly to the display.

Please help me decide.

Youd be better off using a player with analoge outs im sure the preamp section of a high end receiver like yours should be at par.

Hmmm....but when I am using the Multi Ch Analog 7.1 Inputs, doesn't the Preamp of the AVR turn off or say gets bye-passed?

Am asking 'cos I am not sure.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back