Emotiva XPA5-what preamp settings for max power gain

Gijo George

Hi
I bought an XPA5 two months back. The amp is working fine. But its just that along with my yamaha RX-V661 as pre there doesnt seem to be a significant gain in the power. The music sounds better when compared to straight from the AVR but the power doesn't seem to step up much. I wrote to Emotiva with the specs of the Yamaha pre. (Output Voltage/Impedence = 1.0V/1.2kOhms) This was their reply,
The input impedance of the XPA-5 is >47kOhm so that matches well with your Yamaha and the input sensitivity is 1.25 volts to max power output so your Yamaha should also be able to supply adequate voltage to the amp. Could you please tell me how you have the XPA-5 connected into your system? Also, did you rerun the auto eq within the Yamaha after you connected the XPA-5 to account for the gain of the amplifier and the frequency response? This can make a major difference in the way the amplifier responds in your system. Please try this if you have not already done so and let me know how it goes. I hope this helps.
Best Regards,

I've used the unbalanced connections with a Belden 1505F cable. Could someone explain the above, especially the part about the frequency response? If anyone's familiar using the yamaha AVR as pre do suggest changes in settings to better the output.
Thanks

What they are saying is that the freq response of the amp section needs to be taken into consideration when doing an auto-equalisation. Since you have one this in the past with your receiver amp section, you should now repeat it with the Emotiva acting as your power amp. With your current setup, you will not be able to use the full power of the Emotiva since your output voltage is lower than the input sensitivity of the Emotiva. However, full power is never really used anyway, in all likelihood your receiver preamp section may sound poor with full volume. Why do you need this kind of power - anything more than 12'0 clock position on a receiver is bound to sound quite loud or going into distortion

cheers

From personal experience of a similar setup, I can tell you that you need to rerun the YPAO set up again. BTW, your speakers are the limiting factor and NOT the amp, if you are looking high dB reproduction.

Cheers.

Hi
I bought an XPA5 two months back. The amp is working fine. But its just that along with my yamaha RX-V661 as pre there doesnt seem to be a significant gain in the power. The music sounds better when compared to straight from the AVR but the power doesn't seem to step up much. I wrote to Emotiva with the specs of the Yamaha pre. (Output Voltage/Impedence = 1.0V/1.2kOhms) This was their reply,
The input impedance of the XPA-5 is >47kOhm so that matches well with your Yamaha and the input sensitivity is 1.25 volts to max power output so your Yamaha should also be able to supply adequate voltage to the amp. Could you please tell me how you have the XPA-5 connected into your system? Also, did you rerun the auto eq within the Yamaha after you connected the XPA-5 to account for the gain of the amplifier and the frequency response? This can make a major difference in the way the amplifier responds in your system. Please try this if you have not already done so and let me know how it goes. I hope this helps.
Best Regards,

I've used the unbalanced connections with a Belden 1505F cable. Could someone explain the above, especially the part about the frequency response? If anyone's familiar using the yamaha AVR as pre do suggest changes in settings to better the output.
Thanks

there is a bit about your post that is not immediately clear

1. is you emo not much louder than the yam at the same volume setting?

or

2. is it that even when you max the volume the emtiva does not seem louder and while still being clearer?

if it is point 2, i suggest you look at the speaker trims set by ypao, and any source trims (Are they in the negatives?)

if it is point 1, there is not much to worry, the gains of you Yam poweramp section and the emotiva may be similar, but your yam will run out of steam much earlier. trust me. i upgraded from a much more powerful Yam (RX-V 1500) to a less powerful Emo (UPA-7) and find a significant difference. (there was zero difference in rated power)

adding a poweramp is normally not just about playing louder but more about playing much, much clearer and effortlessly at loud volumes

also could you list out your entire AV chain (source, connections, speakers) for a better understanding?

also where did you source this from, and how much?

Last edited:
there is a bit about your post that is not immediately clear

1. is you emo not much louder than the yam at the same volume setting?

or

2. is it that even when you max the volume the emtiva does not seem louder and while still being clearer?

if it is point 2, i suggest you look at the speaker trims set by ypao, and any source trims (Are they in the negatives?)

if it is point 1, there is not much to worry, the gains of you Yam poweramp section and the emotiva may be similar, but your yam will run out of steam much earlier. trust me. i upgraded from a much more powerful Yam (RX-V 1500) to a less powerful Emo (UPA-7) and find a significant difference. (there was zero difference in rated power)

adding a poweramp is normally not just about playing louder but more about playing much, much clearer and effortlessly at loud volumes

also could you list out your entire AV chain (source, connections, speakers) for a better understanding?

also where did you source this from, and how much?

Kapvin, as far as I know, it is point 1 that I saw/heard at Gijo's place. But yes overall the emotiva does sound better than the Yamaha(with Yamaha being used as pre amp). Its just that there is no apparent difference in loudness.

As for his chain, I think its there in his signature. He is using Belden 1505 cables with Canare connectors for all channels of the pre to power amp.
I forgot the speaker cables though.
HTH

sridhar/odyssey has rightly suggested here

i had the same issue when i used the onkyo 875 as the pre to 4 external power amps, the pre of the AVR was just not good enough

since you already have the power amp the best option for you IMO (this is what i did) is to get hold of a standalone pre/processor possibly from the same company ,this would solve all your issues

Kapvin, as far as I know, it is point 1 that I saw/heard at Gijo's place. But yes overall the emotiva does sound better than the Yamaha(with Yamaha being used as pre amp). Its just that there is no apparent difference in loudness.

As for his chain, I think its there in his signature. He is using Belden 1505 cables with Canare connectors for all channels of the pre to power amp.
I forgot the speaker cables though.
HTH

if that is the only caseI would not worry about it too much then. let him crank up the yam till he finds the sound noticeably hardening.. then listen to through the emo at the same volume position. the emo should have a lots of steam to spare. i think the yamaha does go upto +16 db onthe volume control, right? i guess in this case, there is a bit of confusing between amp gain and amp power.

just wanted Gijo to confirm that he's using a digital connection between source and preamp. and the channel trims aren't going into negatives.. it really may be worthwhile to run ypao again just to be sure.

having said that, just want to point that doubling an amp's power gives only a 3db increase in volume... :)

if that is the only caseI would not worry about it too much then. let him crank up the yam till he finds the sound noticeably hardening.. then listen to through the emo at the same volume position. the emo should have a lots of steam to spare. i think the yamaha does go upto +16 db onthe volume control, right? i guess in this case, there is a bit of confusing between amp gain and amp power.

just wanted Gijo to confirm that he's using a digital connection between source and preamp. and the channel trims aren't going into negatives.. it really may be worthwhile to run ypao again just to be sure.

having said that, just want to point that doubling an amp's power gives only a 3db increase in volume... :)

Thanks for the inputs kapvin. The yam goes to +11.5db. I use the analogue out with the 1505F from the 6003 and same from the pre to power.
If the difference is only 3dB with doubling of power then thats that and theres really not much more to be done.

Think I'll start listening to some music now.:D

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back