Emotiva's XDA-1 DAC : Is it worth wait?

I like the design of this DAC. But the general response on various forums is very much so so. It's a pity it isn't on sale in the UK otherwise I would have bought one to listen to. I tend to try out other DACs even though I make my own.

I like the design of this DAC. But the general response on various forums is very much so so. It's a pity it isn't on sale in the UK otherwise I would have bought one to listen to. I tend to try out other DACs even though I make my own.

Hi Stanley,

well i've never heard your DACs so i cannot offer my perspective there. and this is not replacing (in my setup) another bespoke DAC, so i cannot offer an A/B comparo in the true sense, and in this case, i'd have been surprised and felt cheated had the umc-1 sounded better.

having said that, my source chain is not "audiophile" in any strict sense of that word; but i have heard "audiophile systems; hearing loss notwithstanding. While sonic memories tend to diffuse rapidly with time; i can tell you that the sense of joyousness and rediscovery i had listening to my chosen selection of music is very similar to the emotions on listening to a relatively good system. Maybe it's just that it rocks my boat a little more than others.

also, i don't know which section of reviews you read, but my impressions are that that views are "polarised" which is a very different from "so-so". additionally most issues are to do with the gain when used in place of a pre-amp

I'd purchased this almost on a whim, in order to encash a usd100 coupon. having recieved it, for me, as of now, it's usd 199 well spent.

anytime you feel like loaning (gifting ;)) me one your DACs, i'll be happy to do an A-B and report.

cheers

Unit delivered in NY on 15 Dec 10 but presently away on holidays until 15 Jan 11. Lot of mixed user opinions on the net, some praising while others claiming disappointment at failed expectations.

Received email from Emotiva stating I do NOT need to send the unit back to fix the volume issue bcoz I will use the XDA-1 with an "integrated" Amplifier.

If it helps, also bought interconnects and a power chord from Emotiva so will share my experiences on these accessories as well.

Hi wonderful people,

Returned home Thursday (20 Jan 11) late at night (11:25 PM exactly) but was still anxious to check out the XDA-1 and the following Emotiva interconnects:

1. 2 pairs of Ultra Series Stereo RCA Cable (male to male)
2. 2 cables of Ultra Series Speaker Cable 6 mts
3. 2 cables of X Series Balanced XLR Cables 2 mts
4. 1 peace of X Series IEC Shielded Power Cable 4 mts

Air travel exhaustion + 3 hour drive fm airport + time difference etc. gave just enough energy to make the connections before I crashed out for the night. The next whole morning was spent in cleaning the room, visiting friends etc. but still managed to find some quality time to check out the NEW stuff.

Am not an audiophile but take my music seriously - so suffice to say the music now has become PASSIONATELY INVOLVING so much that I just want to sit there and go on digging my favourite songs. Now, don't know whether it's the XDA-, the new Ultra Series speaker cables or the X Series IEC Shielded Power Chord but the sound is sure DELICIOUS.... ha, ha, ha!

Now, I can "sort of" touch the musicians on almost every track. Suddenly, music is like a mirror now (where I can see and feel the musicians spread out on the stage). If it helps, the highs are crystal clear, the voices are brilliant and the bass as I always loved it (during my days as drummer) tight, not boomy, making my poor little, but faithful, Infinity Primus 150 struggle. In short, so far I am happy at the investment ($300 for XDA & $200 for the interconnects) - shipping was free.

So thank you wonderful people for guiding me wisely on my hunt for system upgrade. It's been a great learning experience that I hope to repeat on my next quest for Speaker upgrade!

Last edited:
instruments are sharper and more clearly resolved the voices are more clearly anchored, treble is clear and the sound is more "together". there's a snap to the music which keeps you wanting to listen some more. it's a whole lot clearer, so one tends to listen a whole lot louder.

overall, there is excellent bass extension and great clarity. the quicky listen I had in less than optimium conditions made me very happy indeed. i think it's money well spent!

Absolutely, the things I wanted to say as well....

Blueturtle ?
goodpost.gif

Thank you Vinod,

If memory serves me right, guess you were one of the first gentlemen, to guide me wisely during my early hunt days and I owe you a lot for educating me.

Time permitting, I wish to conduct three separate tests, each with only the power chord, then the speaker cables and finally the XDA to identify the exact component that makes the music "glow".

Have read a lot of arguments (some favouring and others negating) on the so called sonic improvements from stock power chord replacements. Initially, I was quite reluctant to spend my hard (in fact, very hard) earned $60 for the power chord so in a way, I'd be personally interested to know if replacing the stock power chord has indeed resulted in any meaningful benefit?

I had already experienced considerable sound improvements after replacing the speaker cables purchased with the Nait XS with Chord Carnival Silver. Since, users of an Emotiva products pretended to be the "happiest lot" thought of trying out the benefits of replacing the Chord Carnival Silver with the Emotiva Ultra Series speaker cables. Hope it was worth it.

Again, with the individual component test, I hope to get a better understanding and share it with the wonderful folks at this Forum.

As, ALWAYS, any suggestions, guidances, recommendations etc., even those that may sound simple (who knows, it may make a really big difference for me) are always appreciated. Life has been a great learning curve and because of the guidance and wise counsel from forum members, today I am much better informed on the world of hi-end Audio.

Last edited:
can anyone help me procure emo xda-1 dac through online. i have no knowledge of buying stuffs online.

USA customers can use the following link "http://emotiva.com/xda1.shtm" to RESERVE the XDA-1. Emotiva offers free shipping ONLY within the USA. Please note the price has been increased by US $49 so now its US $349.00.

For international customers use this link Emotiva Audio International Orders

NB: I got mine by virtue of being in the FIRST lot, understand the Second and Third lots are already fully booked. If you reserve now, you may perhaps get yours in March or April.

Anyway, fill out the form and Emotiva will provide you with a quote including shipping charges to the specified country and I guess will also get an idea of when to expect the unit.

Hope this helps and good luck.....

Time permitting, I wish to conduct three separate tests, each with only the power chord, then the speaker cables and finally the XDA to identify the exact component that makes the music "glow".

OK, impressions with approx. 100 hours of use (not continous though).

General: EMOTIVA took AWAY my stereo and REPLACED it with a LIVE BAND.... it's that simple (honestly)!

With the Power Chord and Speaker Cables: Music is so transparent (like a mirror), that I can almost touch the artists individually.

Major improvements: Bass is tight (luv it), drums has gained prominence; snare hits are loud and clear and now I even hear distant cymbal crash, splash etc. As an ex-drummer, music is now become utterly emotional and passionately involving.

Turning on the XDA expands the already wonderful stage even further and suddenly everything becomes a lot more louder and much more inviting. To me, the XDA is like a magnifying glass.

Of course, these are my personal impressions. So to answer the primary question "Emotiva - is it worth the wait" - for me, an absolute YES.

Last edited:
Did you get to audition the naim dac you were interested in, iirc?

Gosh, the XDA-1 is my FIRST dac. Prior to it, I didn't even know what to expect from a DAC but now that I have the bug, and after relishing the famous Naim PRAT, it will certainly be a dream come true. And, members of this wonderful forum will be the first to know about it. Ouch, sadly can't see this happening in the near future bcoz of the nDAC price (ha, ha, ha).

Actually, it was the PS Audio Digital Link III, that I had already set my mind on. In fact, an Audiogoner had even settled to sell his DLiii for US $550. However, thanks to the timely and wise guidance from this forum that introduced me to the XDA-1, I could save US $250 that I eventually used for the Emotiva interconnects.

So, thank you very much, once again, "ALL" you wonderful people.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back