Enclosed Woofer?

Yogesh

No Where Near to where I want to be yet...
Need guidance

Hi Guys,

I am going for furniture in Living room. One confusion is regarding provision for woofer placement. Is it advisable to put Sub in a closed compartment with door which will be opened at the time of playing? The tentative design of wall-unit is shown in the pic. If yes How much breathing space around sub shold be left?

At present I am using Philips HTiB, But, I am providing for future upgrade, So Size I want to provide for is of Wh-150.

I have also considered leaving that space open for sub, But Iam afraid it will spoil the symmetry. And More I need tabletop to place BS when I upgrade as shown in pic2.

Your suggestins are sought regarding what should I do?

Thanxx in advance.

Attachments

• hts.jpg
    hts.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 115
  • hts2.jpg
    hts2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
No, thats not a very healthy place to house a sub. A sub can be placed anywhere in the room but it needs all the space around it that it can get. That also holds good for all speakers but to a lesser extent. I suggest you buy your gear first and furniture later. Backward compatibility of your hifi components can else be a pain in the wrong place.
Regards

I see. Then I guess the only way to go is shortlist what you want as your hi-fi gear. There are lots of FMs here to suggest and advise you on that. Having decided on that, note down the measurements from the manufacturer's website/elsewhere and then get your furniture made accordingly. Its better to wall mount your speakers and toe them downwards with a tilt. You will need a wall mount that is adjustable both for pan and tilt. Also, you must go in for speakers that come with metal inserts fitted in for wall mounting. One example that comes to mind is the lithos prs ie Noa1 and Q10. Here are links to both.

noa1
q10

HTH
Cheerio

If you plan on putting your subwoofer inside a cabinet with openable door then try and search for a Sub with front firing ports rather than the rear and down firing. I have seen these at lot of places where the speaker installations are done behind the screen.

Also keep in mind that the subwoofer needs to be rested on a solid platform rather than the cabinet as it would pass the rattle to the entire structure.

Last edited:
My primary concern is, Will it be okay to put sub on a closed compartment? If yes how much room should I leave around it. I.e. How much bigger the box should be than the sub?
It is not okay to put a sub in/on a closed compartment. A moves air and hence likes space around it to breathe. Placing it on a hollow\closed compartment will also not work as the entire compartment will resonate.

But hey, subwoofer does not have to be placed in the front of the room!! Look at other placements too as subwoofers/low-frequencies are non-directional.

Hi all,

Thanxx for all your inputs. I have tentatively decided to go with a design like enclosed pic.

I am not that happy with it, but other option would put sub in a closed compartment:sad:. The open spce provided for sub would be blocked somewhat from view by Sofa. Colour scheme will be different than enclosed pic. Other pic shows colour scheme to be adopted, exact colour or laminates are yet to be decided.

image 1

duowallunit.jpg

image 2

duowallunit.jpg

Any Comments? Is it okay?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back