Entry Level AVR + 2.0ch setup for 50K (Suggestions plz)

kanna.sridharan

Hi Folks,

I am looking for an entry level AVR with a 2.0ch setup (Should be decent enough) for a budget of 50K. I have shortlisted my choices below here. Kindly pour in your suggestions.

Cambridge Audio's Azur 340R
Morduant Short Avant 904i (Floor Stander)

The above just fits my budget, but this will be my first step into building a good home theater setup. I plan to acquire them by Jul '09 after good demo at chennai and will be complete the system(5.1) by a years time.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, Kannan:)

Hi Folks,

I am looking for an entry level AVR with a 2.0ch setup (Should be decent enough) for a budget of 50K. I have shortlisted my choices below here. Kindly pour in your suggestions.

The above just fits my budget, but this will be my first step into building a good home theater setup. I plan to acquire them by Jul '09 after good demo at chennai and will be complete the system(5.1) by a years time.

Thanks in advance...

Kannan,
I guess the CA 340r would be good for music and movies too. How much are you getting it for?
But I think it has only hdmi pass through, which is something you should think twice about! Try to get an avr with hd sound decoder for hdmi, the video upscaling is not so much of a priority, as most mid range dvdp s upscale well.

CA 340R was quoted 30,400 and the MS 904i 20,700, I think I'll get a discount upto 12.5%. I'm really not considering any upscaling or HDMI decoding options, as if I have to look into those I guess I'll have to compromise on quality or is there an alternative for the same price...

I've changed my plans on getting these, sounded good enough..

Marantz SR 5002 - 30K
Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 - 15.5K
Wharfedale SWF - 150 - 19.5K

Suggestions plz....

if you are going for 2 channel, why not buy an integrated amp instead of an avr? AVR is a fast changing technology and can leave you desiring for more very soon. On the other hand, most of the cutting edge features found in higher priced models are constantly trickling down into budget models, so you would be able to get a better bargain if you buy later.

regards

Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance...

While CA 340R can deliver in terms of music i sincerely doubts it movie capabilities. Try auditioning yamaha 663 and Onkyo 606 too. this will set us back by 35 to 36k.

Wharfedale 9.1 is a good choice. Try auditioning Monitor audio Bronze Br2 also.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Installed my System... Sounds great, thanks to all for your opinions, its been 6 months of hunting....

Marantz SR 5002 - 30,000
Dia 9.2 - 14,200
SWF 150 - 19,000
Pioneer DV-610AV - 7,200

Cables

Sub 3mtrs (DAC) - 850
Speaker 3mtrs * 4 (DAC 14AWG) - 1,000
Banana Plugs 8 pairs - 2,000
Optical 1.5mtrs (DAC) - 850

Total - Rs.74,900

Apart from the above, invested in a 2kVA Servo stabiliser for Rs. 5,200

In the Picture
The speakers below the 9.2 are from my earlier Panasonic 5.2 acting as stands for them, till I get speaker stands. Please do suggest speaker stands ...

:)

Last edited:
Its been a while since I posted in this forum.... I've been upgrading/adding new components to my system in the past 2 years...

Additions :
1. TV - Panasonic 42V20D
2. CC - Wharfedale 9.CS
3. Blu-Ray - Samsung BD-C5500

The only thing left from completion is the Surrounds, which would be in the near future..

Thx to all who helped me out.... I'm really happy with my system, it does justice to every penny spent...

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back