Epson TW-550 vs Benq W750

k2max6

So after reading a lot in the forum;ditching the led projectors and increasing my budget from 30k to 50 - i have almost finalized on these models for my bedroom.

Epson TW-550 / TW-480(Without 3D) vs Benq W750

I have no idea how they compare with each other. I couldn't find a place to demo anyone. TW550 - 53k or W750 - 55k :confused:
Couldn't find any reviews about the 750 online.

Already crossed my budget and have no further scope.

> I am a little doubtful if i should buy 3D.I don't enjoy the 3D in cinema halls very much but was thinking just in case, to be future proof. Moreover my current blu-ray player LG BD550 doesn't support 3D fully. It might play SBS , is it good enough for 3D experience?

> Other thing that is bothering me is their brightness. Would they be too bright for a ~110" Screen in 18 X 11 ft room.I'll be watching from ~16ft.

Getting the TW-480 for 46.5k. A lot of people have quoted around 42k in forum but couldn't find that price in the market :sad:.Will dig further.

TW-480 falls perfectly in my extended budget.

> Any other recommended projectors around 50k ?

> Any recommended dealers in Delhi NCR ?

> Is this kind of screen ok , suits my budget - http://www.ebay.in/itm/8-x-6-WALL-T..._203&hash=item2a2e141a6b&_uhb=1#ht_781wt_1139

Please guide.

Last edited:
Sorry that screen seems to be 4:3 , I need a 16:9 only.
I have a 11 ft wide wall.Which screen would be ideal - 119" or 133" , considering a 720p projector. Viewing distance 11 -17 ft.
In regard to Epson.

Q. Would Zoom affect the picture quality?
Q. If i use keystoning and install the projector 3.5 ft off the centre, would there be a lot of loss in the image quality ?
I am finding it hard to find a positon for ceiling mount as i have 2 fans. If keystoning is ok then i can wall mount it with a 2 ft wall mount.

How do i go about it? First i buy the projector then the screen.Right? or together?

Please help i need to take a decision in a day or two .

EDIT: No one replying.Very strange. HFV seems very cold since yesterday. :sad:

Last edited:
Hmm the main reason y u might not be getting a reply is mainly coz W750 does not even have any reviews on international websites let alone anyone on this forum having exp it in person to give you any informed advice... Anyway I will try to give my modest advice in hopes of helping you as little as I can... 1st of all W750 & Epson W550 are vastly diff projectos mainly coz they use very diff technologies(DLP vs 3LCD)... Both techs have their positive & negative points... DLP's main plus point is the Film(cinema hall) type feel of the image which cant really be described in words but is immensely pleasurable to watch... But its main -ve point is the presence of what is called the rainbow effect... It annoys the hell out of a lot of ppl but personally I have had a hard time spotting it even in projectors which are said to be prone to it... End of the day there is a 99% chance that if you dont go looking for the rainbow effect, you wont find it... That actually makes DLP a very good buy for many 1st time buyers... Also a black lvls are generally better in the lower end DLPs vs the lower end 3LCDs... On the other hand we have the 3LCD(like the TW550)... They dont suffer from the rainbow effect & are generally very bright & vibrant.... But their -ve point is their lack of extreme sharpness & film like effect that the DLPs have... What lower end 3LCDs lack in black lvls they more than make up for in their vibrant colors... Movies which are not dark(like dark knight etc) & have a lot of colors look absolutely gorgeous on even a lower end 3LCD projector.... Especially bright movies like animated are a sight to behold on the 3LCD... I myself have wht is considered a highend 3LCD projector so I am talking from personal exp... Anyway end of the day if this is your 1st projector purchase,I can almost guarantee that whichever projector you choose you will be extremely overjoyed with your purchase.... My dad who is a total non techie is totally addicted to the projector now & terms it the best tech purchase he has ever made :D .... Coming back to ur dilemma in a way it would make sense to save 7-8k & buy the TW480 especially if you are not interested in 3D but I would still recommend you just buy the TW550 or the W750 mainly coz for 7-8k more you are getting the latest projector... Another options I would like to recommend is the Acer 5370... It is not officially available in India but it is generally on sale for $400 on newegg in the US... You can use a service like ishopinternational & import it to india to ur doorstep for under 35k... It is a fairly well reviewed projector & extremely VFM... Projector central did a shootout with the epson 750HD(which is basically the TW550) & acer 5370bd actually held its own pretty well even though it is much cheaper than the TW550... Another plus point of the 5370 is theat you are not stuck with expensive shutter glasses but also have an option to use pretty cheap DLP glasses reducing the overall cost of owning the projector... My personal recommendation is the Acer 5370BD :D ... You save around 20k vs the TW550 & get a cheaper 3D option which is actually very well reviewed... Hopefully my post helped you a little...

+1 for acer 5370
never buy the sh** screen..it is reflective//used for casual presentaion..i bought same one at 1200..for diy screen..will paint it..anyway thats hassle..
flat matt white wall is a good start..
buy good screen later

Last edited:
Thanks. I am spending hours finding the right product. Finding projectors in the office.Addicted.:D

See i want a theater like feel and if DLP's make it so i can go in for a Benq W750/770ST. I cannot afford a 1080p projector now and would the sharpness difference be visible on a 720p from 8 ft between DLP & 3LCD ?

As far as the glasses are concerned, they turn out to be cheaper for epson. A lot of people are using Samsung SSG-4100, just Rs.1100.

One more thing. Currently i have a 40" LCD in my room and only watch HD channels, or HD content. I hardly even watch SD for 1 hour in a month.
I am ok with 720p movies when playing on my LCD, but i am not sure if they would look equally good from a viewing distance of 8-10 ft on 119" screen.
So is buying the 720p the right decision ? I am almost at the maximum that i would be spending on the projector. So should I buy and enjoy or wait for sometime till 1080p projectors become affordable? Although i don't think it would be anytime soon

I am trying to source it from US via someone,lets see how that works out. I am just a little worried on the warranty esp if the thing turns out DOA.

MODS: please see if thread tittle can be changed to Epson TW-550 vs Benq W770ST

Last edited:
Go for Benq DLP w 750. I myself am planning to go for the same. I currently have an LG xga resolution projector1024x768( which is almost 10 years old) and has given me fantastic life.I was planning to buy the Benq 1070, unfortunately its out of budget, so was almost settled for w 700(which has just been discountinued) and therfore going in for w750 probably for the review I recently read the link is

BenQ W750 HD Ready 3D DLP Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Hope it helps. I have a dedicated room for HT with an htpc and a fixed screen 102" and the LG did a good job with xga resolution. hope this one also do. I should be getting my projector in a day or two..... will let the forum know more about W750.

I own a 720p DLP projector and I can tell you that the picture quality is near theater like. You will not find much difference between 720p and 1080p is my personal opinion. The picture may be a bit more clear but will not really matter because of the huge screen size.

Also DLP projectors have this real cinema like picture reproduction.

agree.You will not find much difference between 720p and 1080p is my personal opinion.
12.gif

I own a 720p DLP projector and I can tell you that the picture quality is near theater like. You will not find much difference between 720p and 1080p is my personal opinion. The picture may be a bit more clear but will not really matter because of the huge screen size.

Also DLP projectors have this real cinema like picture reproduction.

Hmm that might be true for the initial days especially when you switch from TV's to Projectors.

But in the longer run this will be a problem, even I was very much inclined to go for a 720P LED projector(LG 75U) and demoed most of the shops in the Chennai before finally purchasing Epson TW 8100. This was a difficult decision and had to stretch the budget by more than 50% but now it is worth the spend.

The spark to me was very simple - I was explaining my wife and daughter about the difference between 720P and 1080p and at that time I was mostly willing to go for a 720P and was even showing few you tube videos and explaining them that not much of a difference. Instead of a 1080p projector we can go for a 720P and also get a good AVR in that cost saved.

Now my daughter on seeing few Blurays discs and DVD's on the table asked in this which one is 1080p and which one 720p and I told her the answer. Then she asked me one simple question if you are going to spend so much money for getting a Blu ray disc to watch 1080p quality then why do you want to settle for a 720p projector?

Congrats Epson TW 6100 is good buy. But you opted for 3D as you were not interested in 3D. If you were not into 3D you could have gone for Epson TW3600 same as TW6100 but no 3D.

Can anyone please share their experience with Benq W750? There is not much information on internet for this projector. :sos:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back