Excited about PHILIPS AF 834

Hi RMCWS,

You are also getting the 'ORIGINAL PHILIPS MAG CART EG 1400' with the TT as a spare. You can look out for a matching stylus.If you find one, you don't need to invest in another mag cart.

For 'PHONO STAGE' you can contact our FM "sachu888", even i am buying one.

Thanks a lot Shafic.

But I want to know which cable to use for connecting the tt with the "aux in" of the avr? Is it comming with the TT itself or do I need buy it separately?

By the way, I will surely contact Sachu888 once I get the TT. :)

Originally Posted by reubensm
Connecting your ceramic cart directly to your amp's aux input would allow you to hear your turntable sing but you won't get the best of quality out of it. Your music will tend to sound screechy, with very less or no bass. This is not a problem with the ceramic cart or your amp. Its because of the lack of equalization. Records are pressed using something known as equalization standards laid down by the RIAA. This means, while pressing, the bass is cut and highs increased in order to maximise the playing time on the record (pressing with heavy bass reproduction would broaden the grooves and reduce the playing time, to put it in very simple terms). So when you play back, your amplifier has to reverse the process wherein the highs are cut and the bass boosted. This process is called RIAA equalization. For a ceramic cart, gain increase would not be required, just equalization. However for a magnetic cart, both gain increase and equalization are required. You can easily build a equalization stage for your ceramic cart for about Rs.50/- if you are into DIY. The sound quality on from ceramic cart will increase tremendously if you do this. Sorry for the long post but these are things that any newbie must understand to get things right

Hi
How to built equilisation stage for the ceramic cart?
Regards
Alwayslogo

Building a ceramic equalization stage is quite simple. A stereo one will cost you about Rs.50/- excluding power supply. Please check out the circuits at the following thread (scroll down): http://www.hifivision.com/phono-tur...restoration-tragedy-ecstasy-2.html#post509822

I was referring to circuit#6, "Bass EQ Preamp For High Impedance PU"

These circuits are so simple they can be easily put together and success is guaranteed.

Originally Posted by reubensm
Connecting your ceramic cart directly to your amp's aux input would allow you to hear your turntable sing but you won't get the best of quality out of it. Your music will tend to sound screechy, with very less or no bass. This is not a problem with the ceramic cart or your amp. Its because of the lack of equalization. Records are pressed using something known as equalization standards laid down by the RIAA. This means, while pressing, the bass is cut and highs increased in order to maximise the playing time on the record (pressing with heavy bass reproduction would broaden the grooves and reduce the playing time, to put it in very simple terms). So when you play back, your amplifier has to reverse the process wherein the highs are cut and the bass boosted. This process is called RIAA equalization. For a ceramic cart, gain increase would not be required, just equalization. However for a magnetic cart, both gain increase and equalization are required. You can easily build a equalization stage for your ceramic cart for about Rs.50/- if you are into DIY. The sound quality on from ceramic cart will increase tremendously if you do this. Sorry for the long post but these are things that any newbie must understand to get things right

Hi
How to built equilisation stage for the ceramic cart?
Regards
Alwayslogo

RMCWS. congrats on your new arrival. Yes I agree it is expensive(only my wife knows how expensive).The more you read what all our friends say and show,the more we get excited and impulsive.

I joined this forum while searching for a radiogram(still not got) but after going through the remarkable posts by our FMs- especially the vast experience of Mr.Kuruvilla Jacob,the sound knowledge of reubensm and the astonishing collection of Anilkumar, if you don't get carried away,then you must be def and blind.
reubensm- That was a well detailed reply- appreciate it.thanks

btw- Have got my first TT set up.will be posting it in showcase your TT thread.
needs a lot of help

regards
Arun

Sorry for updating this thread so late. Was super busy with work as well as was suffering a lot due to 'bad internet' for last few days.

As promised, Shafic sent the TT to me. It was hand delivered to me at Kolkata, thanks to his betterhalf, who took all the trouble to carry it for me.

Here's some pictures of the parcel as well as the TT.

Glad to see it made it safely.

Generally, the shipping guides recommend to remove the platter for
shipping, and preferably put it under the plinth with lot of padding.
Also, the counterweight, cartridge/headshell must be removed and packed separately.

Also, the counterweight, cartridge/headshell must be removed and packed separately.

I also make it a point to separate the platter. Cut a hitlon or thermocole sheet to the size of the internal dimensions of the packing carton. Place platter on top of hitlon foam or thermocole foam and make a cut-out to the size of the platter. Use two layers if required. Keep this on the bottom below actual turntable. Use a thin layer of thermocole or hitlon to separate the bottom layer (which has platter) from the actual TT.

Also, if there is motor lock screw, please tighten it. It is designed to be locked during shipping so that the motor does not get displaced.

Yes, these are standard precautions to ship the TT. But in his case that TT is hand delivered. My home to Rly station by car then safely kept it under the berth next day handover d at 'HOWRAH' station.
He is new to vinyl world, i deliberately not remove anything so that he can plug n play.
regards,
shafic

Last edited:
I got Exactly same Model TT as spare .... not using it since i got sony ps 11 TT

This TT sounds great .... and setting up this tt is very simple

Regards

Tanoj

This TT sounds great .... and setting up this tt is very simple

Though I have received the TT on few days back, I didn't get the time to try it out.

I am very new to TT, so can you help me on how to set it up since you have the similar TT. I am very novice, so a step-by-step instructions would be very helpful.

By the way, I have Yamaha 373 as the AVR.

Thanks.

Though I have received the TT on few days back, I didn't get the time to try it out.

I am very new to TT, so can you help me on how to set it up since you have the similar TT. I am very novice, so a step-by-step instructions would be very helpful.

By the way, I have Yamaha 373 as the AVR.

Thanks.

Hi RMCWS,
I can imagine you are serious about your music, with your permission I would advise you to pick up an amplifier for music listening. I followed virtually the same route into the hi-fi world as you have, with an AVR, Sonodyne speakers, Sony speakers as surrounds and so on. Now I do not own a turn table, I will hopefully in near future. Most of my music collection is in 320kbps mp3s and FLAC files on my laptop and stacked on external hard drives. I buy original CDs and then rip them to FLAC, because I like the functionality and flexibility of playing with my laptop. I do not have any high-end DAC or CD player (just an Asus Xonar U3 USB as a DAC), but even with many limitations the SQ that the Sonodyne Sia 320 amplifier produces as opposed to the Yamaha AVR is quite something. The point I am trying to make is an entry level amplifier will make a world of difference to your ears. Perhaps time to pick up a Sonodyne amp in January when they are going to offer that 26% discount.

Just my thoughts... :thumbsup:

Hi RMCWS,
I can imagine you are serious about your music, with your permission I would advise you to pick up an amplifier for music listening. I followed virtually the same route into the hi-fi world as you have, with an AVR, Sonodyne speakers, Sony speakers as surrounds and so on. Now I do not own a turn table, I will hopefully in near future. Most of my music collection is in 320kbps mp3s and FLAC files on my laptop and stacked on external hard drives. I buy original CDs and then rip them to FLAC, because I like the functionality and flexibility of playing with my laptop. I do not have any high-end DAC or CD player (just an Asus Xonar U3 USB as a DAC), but even with many limitations the SQ that the Sonodyne Sia 320 amplifier produces as opposed to the Yamaha AVR is quite something. The point I am trying to make is an entry level amplifier will make a world of difference to your ears. Perhaps time to pick up a Sonodyne amp in January when they are going to offer that 26% discount.

Just my thoughts... :thumbsup:

Music is my first love. Irrespective of any circumstances, I listen to at least an hour or two of music almost everyday.

Before getting into hi-fi world, I used to use my computer and ordinary creative/ frontech speakers for music. Things has completely changed after I bought this avr and connected it with an old Philips DVD player to play acd. And I am very sure that buying a stereo amp will improve the scene a lot more.

Movies, though I like to watch a lot, are time consuming and needs a constant spending of at least a couple of hours which I often find it difficult on a regular basis. (I watch 3/4 movies per week though)

I am looking forward to the 26% discount on Sonodyne next month but most probably I need to go for a subwoofer then.

Anyways, please suggest me to setup this TT with my avr for the time being before I go for a stereo amp.

Hi RMCWS,
I recently bought a vintage stereo integrated amp from one FM and have connected with my TT. I checked the amp with my CD/DVD player and PC also as a source. Overall sound quality is better as compared to the AVR. However, since I have only one set of speakers, a have to change wires everytime I use the amp. Now I use this amp only in the TT chain. Since you are serious about music, I suggest that you can look for an old Int Amp, apart from what shibashis suggested about sia-320.

Since you are serious about music, I suggest that you can look for an old Int Amp, apart from what shibashis suggested about sia-320.

Yes, I will definitely go for a stereo amp soon (either Sonodyne/ Norge/ Astonia or may be some preused within my limited budget).

But for the time being, I want to use the TT with my existing AVR Yamaha 373. Can anyone help me setting it up?

Thanks in advance.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back