Excited about PHILIPS AF 834

Sure,

i will be glad to help you with it

1. please check if your AVR has a Phono input at the back, if yes then you dont need a external phono pream at the moment

2. which cartridge is mounted to the TT right now ?

Regards

Tanoj

1. please check if your AVR has a Phono input at the back, if yes then you dont need a external phono pream at the moment

The avr does not have any phono input.

2. which cartridge is mounted to the TT right now ?
While purchasing it from Shafic, I was told that with ceramic cart and stylus, it can directly be connected to the aux in of the AVR. The cart is eei stereo c s2000.

I am not sure, but the third image of this link might help.

Let me know the next step.

Thanks.

I use to play my Philips HiQ International ceramic cart in line level input of my sony music system. The sound was very shrill and less bass. Then I purchased a Sonodyne Jetline Super model amplifier in Rs 1800 with a ceramic cartridge input and connected my old Philips HiQ International 8ohms speaker. The sound improved by 200% and I can feel the bass now.

I suggest you to buy an vintage amplifier and speaker from Chandni and then see the sound difference.

With right set up the old scratchy record sounds great in ceramic cartridge which the expensive MM cart can never play. :yahoo:

So enjoy your TT with right setup.

Logo

Then I purchased a Sonodyne Jetline Super model amplifier in Rs 1800 with a ceramic cartridge input and connected my old Philips HiQ International 8ohms speaker. The sound improved by 200% and I can feel the bass now.

From where did you purchased it? When? New or preused?

I suggest you to buy an vintage amplifier and speaker from Chandni and then see the sound difference.
I have a plan to buy an stereo amp later. I already has sonodyne bookshelf so not really looking for separate speakers for stereo setup. Right now I can't afford an stereo amp now. I have sonodyne sia320 in mind too.

But for the time being, I need to get started with the TT and my existing AVR with the least amount of upgradation/ investment.

EEI CS2000 was one of the best ceramic carts available in India in the late 1970s. It was pretty good compared to the others available in the Indian market at the time. They are high impedance, high gain carts. Unlike magnetic carts, they can be connected directly to the Aux input of any amp (or any other input like CD, Tuner, etc) and they will play loud and clear. Yes, they will sound very shrill if not connected to a proper amplifier with an inbuilt ceramic phonostage. This is because of RIAA equalization not being present for ordinary Aux inputs. When vinyl is pressed, the low frequencies are rolled of and the high frequencies emphasized. This is to reduce the groove width, increase playing time and also make the record less prone to groove wall collapse. On playback, the phonostage usually reverses the process by rolling off the highs and emphasizing the lows. This process will not be availabe for normal Aux inputs and you'll need a phonostage to do this for you. (please note that I have explained RIAA equalization at a very high level. More reading can be done on wikipedia)
The avr does not have any phono input.

While purchasing it from Shafic, I was told that with ceramic cart and stylus, it can directly be connected to the aux in of the AVR. The cart is eei stereo c s2000.

I am not sure, but the third image of this link might help.

Let me know the next step.

Thanks.

But for the time being, I want to use the TT with my existing AVR Yamaha 373. Can anyone help me setting it up?

Thanks in advance.

I have AVR Yamaha 473 which I was using earlier via a Behringer PP-400 phonostage and it was working well. After putting the amp in the circuit this phonostage has become redundant and I shall put up for sale. You can check details here. Amazon.com: Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp: Musical Instruments. If interested PM me.

The Behringer PP-400 phonostage is for Moving Magnetic carts. If you connect the EEI CS2000 to it, the EEI will heavily overload it and you'll get high intensity distorted sound. The 2 options are (1) to buy a new MM cart and use it with a MM phonostage or (2) retain the same EEI CS2000 and build a simple RIAA equalization stage for it. There is also a 3rd option wherein you can get yourself an old amp with a ceramic cart input.

With assistance of Tanoj who spent almost an hour with me over phone, I am at last able to connect the TT with my AVR. :yahoo:

I am super excited. Thanks once again Tanoj. :clapping:

Now time to play around and thereafter put more stupid queries before you guys.

Thanks a lot...

You are most welcome Ritesh, It was pleasure Helping you to hookup the TT - remembered my DELL Tech Support Days, when i used to fix computers over phone call

you may use the TT for few days till it completely settles down and you do not have to add anything unless you think its necessary, although i know what all can improve the SQ ...

Basically i suggest you to spend some time, till you get used to TT, look for youtube videos on cleaning records etc

Get a Record cleaning Brush , and clean the surface before you play the record every time

Get a small spirit level, to align the TT perfectly

Last but not the least, Spend more time listening and enjoying the music rather than tweaking the TT ;)

Regards

Tanoj

Finally I am exploring this TT. With Tanoj's help, I have set it up yesterday and then listened to it for just an hour or so. Today after work, I have already finished couple of LPs.

I am facing certain problems, but going into that let me give the condition of the TT.

The TT is connected with the AVR Yamaha 373 with Sonodyne BS.

The TT has been placed on top of four pieces of thermocol to give it a ground clearance.

The counter weight was adjusted to balance the tone arm and the tracking force gauge is fixed at 1.5. Similarly the anti skate is fixed at 1.5 too. I am not very sure if this is the exact set up for my cart which is CS2000.

Pitch has been adjusted too.

Now the issues:

1.The earthing wire has been put into the plug. I was told that earthing is required for getting rid of any humming sound and I also found it effective and found that the hum reduces to a great extent when the earthing wire is plugged in. But it does NOT completely reduce the hum. There is slight hum. Is this natural or am I going somewhere wrong?

2.Now the major problem I am facing is here. When ever I am playing any LPs, there is a burning, flickering sound[Im not sure if I have explained in the correct word] in the background (apart from the faint hum). It sounds like as if there is some loose wire/ connection. It continues even in between change of tracks. But it stops completely once the LPs are stopped but with the power on. I don't think this is an issue with LPs as I have tried 5/6 LPs and they are giving the same result.

Kindly help.

The counter weight was adjusted to balance the tone arm and the tracking force gauge is fixed at 1.5. Similarly the anti skate is fixed at 1.5 too. I am not very sure if this is the exact set up for my cart which is CS2000.
1.5g for the CS2000? You've put in settings for Magnetic Carts. The CS2000 sounds its best at around 4gms. Anti-skate is something I've not tried on the ceramic but guess 1.5 should be fine (its has to be calibrated correctly using an acrylic disk without grooves)

1.The earthing wire has been put into the plug. I was told that earthing is required for getting rid of any humming sound and I also found it effective and found that the hum reduces to a great extent when the earthing wire is plugged in. But it does NOT completely reduce the hum. There is slight hum. Is this natural or am I going somewhere wrong?

Please check your amplifier's ground connection. Is it getting a proper earthing?

Last edited:
Please check your amplifier's ground connection. Is it getting a proper earthing?

His AVR does not have a earth socket at the back ... so i suggested him to connect to the earth of wall-socket

i suggested him to check for appropriate counter weight with shafic, who may know the carts specs cos he must have used it... not sure though , and set accordingly ... i am afraid if the 4 gms becomes too high then it may spoil the records

@ ritesh : the noise you hearing must be the surface noise, you may clean the record and try .. you will find lot of videos on YT reg cleaning the records

also clean the stylus tip with a brush, if there is dust accumulated it will sound horrible

it can also be because of incorrect counter weight too ... as the counter weight is set very low it will attract lot of pop up noise ... so check for appropriate weight and set it

usually there will be no hum at all , it may vary from cart to cart and also on proper earthing too, lot will depend on phonostage too ( however there is no phonostage in your chain ) ..... i am not very familiar with ceramic carts so cannot comment much .... all iam assuming

Happy Listening ... give it some time and do changes step by step ...

Tanoj

Last edited:
i suggested him to check for appropriate counter weight with shafic, who may know the carts specs cos he must have used it... not sure though , and set accordingly ... i am afraid if the 4 gms becomes too high then it may spoil the records

reubensm said:
The CS2000 sounds its best at around 4gms. Anti-skate is something I've not tried on the ceramic but guess 1.5 should be fine (its has to be calibrated correctly using an acrylic disk without grooves)

Shafic can you suggest me the correct range of the counter weight, please? And regarding the earthing, my AVR does not have a earthing connection at the back. It's two pin electric plug is just connected to the plug point.

Or is it safe to set the counterweight at 4gms. I am slightly confused with the situation.

Shafic can you suggest me the correct range of the counter weight, please? And regarding the earthing, my AVR does not have a earthing connection at the back. It's two pin electric plug is just connected to the plug point.

Or is it safe to set the counterweight at 4gms. I am slightly confused with the situation.

Dear Ritesh, You need three pin connection.The two pin plug not giving proper earthing to your amp. For CD it is ok but for TT you need extra earthing for your amp. Take local electrician's help.

Try with the different counter weight adjustments. Pls consider Mr. Reuben's advice. He already have a mono cart setup.

Take note of the Tanoj's view. Clean your LPs.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking Tanoj. Too busy and tired during the weekdays. Last weekend was also stuck in some work. So did not get much time to try out anything.

Thanks everyone for your advice. First, I want to clean the records (the ones shafic gave and also the one I have found). Was reading all the simple yet effect methods of vinyl cleaning.

Only thing in life right now is need some time for myself.

Little bit of update:

I have tried this vinyl cleaning method.

1. Grab a mug from the bathroom
2. Warm up about half a mug ful of RO water or even aquaguard water (ensure it is lukewarm and no more...)
3. take an old T-shirt or vest cut it into 2 halves
4. Fold up the two halves in such a way that when rolled up they will span the width of the grooves of the LP
5. Place LP on a soft surface (an old bedsheet folded up and kept on the work desk or on the bed is good enuff)
6. Dip one of the rags in warm water and squeeze out excess water
7. Then, gently wipe in a circular motion along the grooves (be sure to not wipe against the groove). see pic 1.
8. next wipe out the grooves with the dry cloth, (again, the cloth should span the entire width of the grooves, and one has to follow the clockwise circular motion, gently). See pic 2.
9. Do rinse the wet cloth between sides.... you'll be surprised to see the amount of muck that comes out from even clean looking LP's!
10. Next one leave them to dry for about 2-3 hours, one can use a typical plate stack used in most kitchens or simply leave them on a bed... See pic 3.
11. Play and enjoy the music!

I have just used Kinley mineral water. Hope that is fine.
I have used two very old records which I think was NOT played during last 10 years at least. And I tried one which I got recently and have played but with some noise.

I have kept them for drying. Will try to check them tomorrow, if time permits.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back