Extension box with EMI/RFI filter

I still do have faults. Day time seems to be stable and voltage is around 230-240v and potential in neutral is within 6v. Night after 8 or 9 it’s very unstable.Good for nothing EB. Voltage is very high and at times 250-260v and there is a raise of potential in the neutral 6-17v.
You must be having some industrial load or lots of offices with A/Cs etc. nearby and on the same transformer. They work in the daytime and due to their load the voltage is in limits. For these loads the EB must have raised to tap to keep stable voltage - you have to compensate the voltage drop. That is EB's mandate as per regulations.

These distribution transformers do not have automatic tap changers or what we call On Load Tap Changer. They have Off Load Tap Changer that is manual and can be operated only after switching off the load (not economical to have On Load TC - your tariff will be 4 times ). No one would come at night to change the taps to lower the voltage.

It is also normal everywhere the voltage surges in the night when the load drops. Again the neutral is set to rise at night as overall voltage profile rises and there is more current due to unbalanced nature of loads.

You need a dedicated transformer if these have to be solved :cool:

You must be having some industrial load or lots of offices with A/Cs etc. nearby and on the same transformer. They work in the daytime and due to their load the voltage is in limits. For these loads the EB must have raised to tap to keep stable voltage - you have to compensate the voltage drop. That is EB's mandate as per regulations.

These distribution transformers do not have automatic tap changers or what we call On Load Tap Changer. They have Off Load Tap Changer that is manual and can be operated only after switching off the load (not economical to have On Load TC - your tariff will be 4 times ). No one would come at night to change the taps to lower the voltage.

It is also normal everywhere the voltage surges in the night when the load drops. Again the neutral is set to rise at night as overall voltage profile rises and there is more current due to unbalanced nature of loads.

You need a dedicated transformer if these have to be solved :cool:
I live in a interior place so no industrial load. Only apartments and few individual houses.

I live in a interior place so no industrial load. Only apartments and few individual houses.
When the sun blazing shines upon
All the A/Cs are on
Then you see your voltage goes down
Twinkle, twinkle your shining eyes :)

When the blazing sun is off
A/Cs are being switched off
Then you see your voltage go up
Your shining eyes will go pop

Just tried to make it light.

Your loading on the network cannot be controlled by anyone.

All fridges will go full blast to keep your ice creams cold when temperature rises in the day, next door mami will feel hot switches on the a/c or wants to grind something or and or and or.... Navin feels great with the voltage he gets.

When folks retire, switch off unwanted loads, fridges and A/Cs keep their cool longer and switch slower as night falls, Navin wants to hear music but voltage is up and through the roof.

Last edited:
When the sun blazing shines upon
All the A/Cs are on
Then you see your voltage goes down
Twinkle, twinkle your shining eyes :)

When the blazing sun is off
A/Cs are being switched off
Then you see your voltage go up
Your shining eyes will go pop

Just tried to make it light.

Your loading on the network cannot be controlled by anyone.

All fridges will go full blast to keep your ice creams cold when temperature rises in the day, next door mami will feel hot switches on the a/c or wants to grind something or and or and or.... Navin feels great with the voltage he gets.

When folks retire, switch off unwanted loads, fridges and A/Cs keep their cool longer and switch slower as night falls, Navin wants to hear music but voltage is up and through the roof.
But still the transformer and grounding is not good for sure. This transformer needs to be serviced or replaced and grounding has to be checked.

So I had to unplug the emi filter. When I held the 16A plug at the earth terminal I got a very strong shock. Must be the earth discharge. But do note I held the plug after 30 seconds or a minute removing it from the socket. Why such a delay? Is it normal for the emi filter to work like this? If not normal what impact it will have on the gears?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back