External Hard Disk

vinay

I have bought the following (Western Digital).

- 320GB Passport @ Rs.3,200/-
- 1 TB My Book @ Rs.5,000/-

V.

In Mumbai there is a main market for computer related items, Lamington Road, it is a wholesale market, people come from all over Maharashtra and buy from this area. These are small firms, they do not have any web address but are reliable.

The same items in malls by Croma and others are very expensive, like for 1 TB Croma is charging Rs.6,400/-, while i have paid Rs.5,000/-.

In-fact in Lamington Road, we could still get a little more cheaper.

V.

Croma rates are always higher upto 1k.
Lamington,s rate also differs from shop to shop(but by 200)

Hi,

Neo Computers at Andheri (W), opp to Natraj Theater. His MRP's are really cool, I got my WD 500GB passport HDD for Rs.4990/- a year back from him, at that time the prevailing price was Rs.6990/-. Till date working perfectly. People in mumbai must check this store out. Even my Samsung LCD monitor(2233SW) was cheapest with him.

cheers

I had an private message from an member a few minutes ago who wanted to know what is this western digital hard disk about, it seems there could be more forum members who would want to know on this, therefore i am writing that this is an external hard disk where i download the movies 720p and audio music, and play it via media player like wdtv, with support from my av receiver and speakers.

This hard disk has a lot of other features too, furthermore it can auto take the back-up from our computer toward our important files in word, excel, etc. If there are more questions then please do ask.

V.

In addition to capacity and price, you should also compare 2.5' vs 3.5" external hard disks.

The 3.5" typically costs about half the 2.5" and is slightly bigger than the 2.5. (WD 2.5" 500 gb costs about Rs. 5000, WD 3.5" 1 TB about Rs. 5100)

3.5" needs an external power source. So you could buy this if you are using desktop with a good UPS. A power failure is costly in terms of data loss and permanent disk damage in spite of what a manufacturer may say.

In Indian conditions, unless you are connected to a UPS, I would not recommend a 3.5"

2.5" scores when you need portability and convenience.

Though WD is the most popular in portable HD, Seagate is also a good choice as it come with a 5 year 11 month warranty.

I own a 250 GB 2.5" Seagate and a 1 TB WD 3.5" which is connected to my desktop mostly.

I bought a 500GB Seagate 2.5" HDD from a shop in SP.Road Bangalore. Costed 4600/- including VAT. Has 5years warranty. works fine :)

What are the approx prices of 1.5 TB drives?

Are 1TB drives more stable (lesser problems reported) than 1.5s?

HDD prices ar on a long term decline as capacities keep increasing. A 1.5 TB HDD may cost "X" today and 20% less by this summer as larger capacity disks start to flood the market.

I have bought the following (Western Digital).

- 320GB Passport @ Rs.3,200/-
- 1 TB My Book @ Rs.5,000/-

V.

I want an 1 TB External USB Hard disc for storing my movies, which can be played with my Philips DVDP with USB access with Internal Power supply. can u please recommend a USB disk?

I heard some of USB Hard discs are not supported by DVD players.

Ok, since this thread is about hard disk, I would like to share some knowledge which many of you might know already.

1. Check your computer/notebook and see if you have eSATA port. It looks like this:
http://www.techchee.com/wp-content/u...er-449x339.jpg
2. eSATA supports 3Gbps data speed which is much higher than USB 2.0s 480 Mbps (both value theoretical)
3. Unlike USB 2.0 earlier eSATA used to come without power support. That means you need external supply for your external drive
4. New eSATA ports come with 4 small holes on the front side which are nothing but power supply. That means now new eSATA has power of old eSATA and USB 2.0

New eSATA is also known as "eSATA / USB Combo Port" or powered eSATA" or eSATAp or "Bus-powered eSATA"

5. Build your solution using eSATA now.

A) 2.5" SATA internal Hard disk + SATA to eSATAp cable
B) 2.5" SATA internal Hard disk + enclosure (with eSATAp port on it) + eSATAp to eSATAp cable
Manufacturer knows the pain point. As I write a mail, I am reading news below. They have come up with solution B but at premium. Low cost enclosure are available in market ($20-$35)
LaCie debuts bus-powered eSATA external hard drive | Crave - CNET
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10452378-1.html

C) 2.5" SATA internal Hard disk + enclosure ( with old eSATA port + USB 2.0 port) + eSATA to eSATAp/eSATA cable + USB 2.0 Y or normal USB to USB cable for power and also external power AC adapter
Note : use either USB 2.0 cable to power up or external AC power adapter. In case of external AC power adapter, now drive is not mobile

D) 3.5" SATA internal Hard disk - not much idea but I believe eSATAps 5V DC is not enough for that. I think it requires 12V DC. External AC Adapter is must. That means drive is not mobile. However, please work out on eSATAp + USB 2.0 combination to power up the drive and check if works or rely on the manufacturer's recommendation as they might have implemented less power consuming models.

All this to get much better speed than USB 2.0

Now, we have USB 3.0 coming in the market this year, infect WDC and Seagate are already out. USB 3.0 supports 6 Gbps but you need to upgrade your machine with extra kit to get desired speed.

Last edited:
This shop in Bangalore

Computer Warehouse Online - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, Laptops and Electronics

always has the best prices, at least when compared to other shops in Bangalore. They even publish a price list on their website as an excel sheet (upper right-hand corner). I have purchased many things from them partly because of their price and partly because they do home delivery (COD).

Most of the times, on an average, their prices are higher than the SP road dealers.

Most of the times, on an average, their prices are higher than the SP road dealers.

I've been to SP Road a couple of times but just didn't feel like trusting those guys. And I hate bargaining (and variable prices in general). Computer Warehouse's prices are fixed. And they are definitely lower than what you can get from other local dealers.

And I'll spend more on petrol to reach there than what I'll save :)

Hi,

I was seriously considering the WD HDD to pair with my WD TV Live.But the reviews on WD HDDs are not that encouraging on the net.So went with the Seagate Free agent 1TB.This is not the slim version and comes with an adaptor.Carries 5 year warranty against 3 from WD.Cost was 4850 and got it from Omega Electronics Ritchie st.Seems the price has gone up to 5k now.

3.5" needs an external power source. So you could buy this if you are using desktop with a good UPS. A power failure is costly in terms of data loss and permanent disk damage in spite of what a manufacturer may say.

does this mean that the setup given below, if without any UPS support for the media player or the HDD, is at risk of data loss /damage in case of power failure ?

Ext powered HDD + WDTV + receiver + flat panel

would your answer change if the HDD was USB powered (i.e. no external power cord) ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back