external tv tuner -CRT monitor

rpanand25

I have a Samsung 17 inch monitor lying idle as the computer is not working. I would like to connect it to external TV tuner for CRT monitor to access cable network. The lead cable from crt monitor comes from within the monitor(i.e. fixed) and in the other end there is a 13 pin jack for connecting to a computer.the monitor is about 8 years old but in top condition. Which external tv tuner would be requied given the above details. FM radio is not essential if the tuner is good. can the tuner work if I later buy any lcd/led panel monitor? i.e it should have output connections for lcd. kindly advise and also the names of brands and approx. cost.

I have just 4 months back bought an LG LED monitor. Can it be connected to an external camera without CPU to make a cctv for home.

Regards.

^^ These external tv tuners have rca inputs also. So if you can get rca out from camera, the tv can be used as cctv.

I have finally bought UMAX TVISION 3820i CRT TV TUNER FROM a local electrician who is also using it in his home for LCD monitor. this is available in flipkart etc for 1100-1200 range. this is stated to be menat for CRT monitor as required in my case.

the picture quality is excellent and there are three presets for PQ and one user adjustable. besides there are three pre-sets for picture colour temperature. the sound is loud enough for a small room (10 by 10) but the quality is tinny and weak and akin to Chinese mobile quality. better use a external computer speaker and the quality is good then. no games as indicated in the box. in fact web site like flipkart shows fm tuner also but no such function in the set I bought.

as regards 13 pin D sub lead from the monitor I mentioned in the original post, I found that the tuner has 15 pinhole socket which easily accommodates the lead. perhaps the games donot function because of the missing two pins in the monitor lead,

anyway the tuner has converted the idle monitor into a tv for my parents room and saved 10-11000 on a small lcd.\ tv.

anyway the tuner has converted the idle monitor into a tv for my parents room and saved 10-11000 on a small lcd.\ tv.

Have you connected Set top box to it? External speakers would work with audio out port of tuner or even directly connected to STB speaker out with a simple 2 rca to 3.5mm stereo converter.

thanx. in fact I am using external speaker thru stereo 3.5 mm jack of tuner and rca of speaker on the other side.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back