Fact about Sansui

sachu888

Hi all,

While browsing Audiokarma I have found some information about Sansui brand.

I have corresponded with some people Online that have provided me with bits and pieces of info. One of them is from Canada and he worked for a Sansui distribution company back in the 70's & 80's. He said thing things were great in the 70's but with the change in the Economy in the 80's and the huge jump in the value of the Japanese Yen, that really had a big impact on the company as far as having their products exported which wasnt cost effective anymore.

Sansui looked to be going ok thru 1987. Then late in that year, they changed their company logo. In 1988, there are far less ads then they had before in hi fi mags. It was probably around this time that the company was undergoing some serious business trouble. I believe some British global company took over the controlling interest in the company in Japan and while it looked promising at first (that the Brit orginization would inject money into the company) some big scandal in the British company took place and resulted in all assets being frozen. I believe then in 1993 the company name was bought by another company. The names Ive heard in this story are Polly Peck, and Semitech and one of them being affililated with Singer Sewing Machine Co.

I think from the 1990's on, Sansui stopped making any products for the US market. The Lyndhurst , New Jersey office that used to appear in print at the bottom of their ads in hi fi mags disappeared.

Source Audiokarma

Regards,

Sachin

Check these sites too

Sansui History Page

History

BTW How is AU-X1 as good as AU-D11 ? What about 717?

Readers which are the best models according to you?

I have on Amplifier A-E970 -Part of system..any information on it? It has some killer features like onboard DAC ! ( Yes 2 Co axial and 1 Optical in!) Remote and good phono stage!

When we had head on comparison with brand new top of the line Norge Ref 2000 it really blow away Norge!

Norge 2000 is no match with your Amp.Vintage Sansui had many products which are comparable only with high end audio.Their SR series turntables are highly respectable.

Regards,

Sachin

@Hemant
The AU-717 is by all accounts a terrific amplifier. Supposed to have amazing sound if its in good condition. Just missed one some time ago.
717s are quickly snapped up whenever they appear on ebay and command very good prices.

hi dear friends i had both sansui au d11 and au717 amps. they are excellent excellent amps. their purchase stopped my ultimate amps chasing. especially D11 made me speach less when i partenered them with my yamaha NS1000M. this is a real appriciation from my heart. the 717 is another league. the bass from 717is to die for.
the clarity from d11 is really , have no words.
but i am enjoying the sansui.:yahoo:

shhh before someone here starts comparing it to vintage trucks! lol lol lol!

I have on Amplifier A-E970 -Part of system..any information on it? It has some killer features like onboard DAC ! ( Yes 2 Co axial and 1 Optical in!) Remote and good phono stage!

When we had head on comparison with brand new top of the line Norge Ref 2000 it really blow away Norge!

This is what I gather

The Sansui A-E970 is part of a system comprising of
CD Player CD-E770
Tuner - T-E770
Digital Amp - A-E970
1 remote control.

It is a rare Sansui system

Number of japanese companies became sick which includes Sansui, Nakamichi, Akai,Technics and even TEAC.Its really sad to miss all those great products they once manufactured in Japan.Now its all Chinese.

Sansui Japan is owned by a Chinese company - Grande Holdings Ltd. Grande Holdings itself is in trouble, and have started liquidation proceedings in June of 2011.

The Sansui name must have been purchased by Videocon in India. They don't own the company. If they do and are smart, they can become an international brand to take on the likes of Samsung, LG, etc. Are they?

Cheers

Hi Sachu..., Need some gyan from you please. I am a very new entrant into the vinyl world along with a strong wish to possess a great amp and set of speakers. I also saw a Sansui AU 719 today in Delhi and was impressed with the performance. Need some suggestion on what kind of speakers are suggested for this... and how much should a pair cost in Delhi. Is it possible to get a pair within Rs. 10K?

^ Integrated
AU 919 ... late 70s and early 80s
AU X1 ..... early 80s
Those were their undisputed 'best' models, which ended up being manufactured in fairly large numbers before newer, yet 'lesser' models got introduced.

Sansui india sponsored few awards function for a couple of years ( i guess 7 yrs) or so upto 2004. After that i havent heard of any sansui awards on TV, et unsure whether they have happened or not. Videocon does not seem to be too happy selling by sansui brand name in market.

Sansui india sponsored few awards function for a couple of years ( i guess 7 yrs) or so upto 2004. After that i havent heard of any sansui awards on TV, et unsure whether they have happened or not. Videocon does not seem to be too happy selling by sansui brand name in market.

???

what is supposed to do with legacy?

Recent Sansui TVs especially brush series looked very impressive side by side compared to Sony and Samsung. Don't know if Videocon manufactures them or a third party.

Hi All, I am a proud owner of the recently acquired Sansui AU317 and Sansui S-81U speakers and very impressed. From what I know, Sansui were great with Amplifiers/Tuners and speakers weren't spoken of much. I picked the speakers purely for there specs: 2-10 inch drivers, 1- 4 inch midrange and 1 - 3 inch tweeter.
I had friend over today and spent about 2 hours listening to them at slightly above the normal listening levels. We setup ourselves on the opposite wall facing the speakers which was fortunately 18 feet away.
Contrary to what I had been saying in my introductory note about how the bass was missing and these speakers need space.Giving a fair bit of it today we experienced the best of reproduction and at higher volumes the speakers deliver the lows with a tight punch without muddling the rest of the frequencies.
The mids were weighty and highs fantastic. A very statisfying musical day.
Higher volumes mean louder mids and I plan to control it with an equalizer.
Any suggestions to that.

Higher volumes mean louder mids and I plan to control it with an equalizer.
Any suggestions to that.

Don't get an equalizer. Try moving your speakers to get a balanced sound. Find out the problematic areas in your room and try to correct the problems first.

Back