Favourite speakers under INR 20k

I don’t know, whenever I see a post asking for a budget speaker recommendation, I stop short of recommending my Open Baffle DIY. But I want to in this thread.

Ahuja SK12FRX on an open baffle (31”x34” approx) with a side wing is wonderful. The more I hear, the more I like. It has all the elements and opportunities for tweaking per individual taste

Budget, max around 6-7K
If people have space, they should take a chance and try this and I am sure it will be much better than standard 20K speakers most of the time

just a recommendation

swami
True but not everyone has the access to a good carpenter and nor technically inclined to tune the crossover etc as in the case of DIY speakers.

Do you do these builds for FMs? People might be interested

Its hard to get really really cheap deals in India like one can get in the US on websites like overstock and woot.com.

When i was in the living in the US prior to 2010 I had scored two pairs of Energy C-100 Bookshelf Speaker for $85 a pair to use in my HT setup. Fast forward to 2020 and for the price they are still amazing and I recently set them up with my old Marantz PM6006 for my uncle and he cant stop raving about the setup

Unfortunately the same experience at Audio Planet. They are not interested in budget consumers. Went there and spoke to Palani, who, listened to me very patiently, but said that they now work on custom installs and higher budgets.

Audio Planet asked me my budget and mentioned that they dont deal with individual components anymore and usually cater to customers with budget of 1.5 Lakhs or more. I have read a lot of good reviews about Audio Planet , but unfortunately could not experience the same.

True but not everyone has the access to a good carpenter and nor technically inclined to tune the crossover etc as in the case of DIY speakers.

Do you do these builds for FMs? People might be interested
Hi the work on this open baffle is the simplest a carpenter can make. I just used left over kitchen cabinet doors and some plywood and that itself sound amazing. We can also use proper marine plywood, rubber wood etc to make it even better structurally and aesthetically. It just needs a hole to fit the 12” FR as per specifications and that is about it. If you want to add a tweeter, a simple first order is enough. It just needs space for placement and it sings

swami

Nice... what is the amplifier powering these speakers?....btw the speaker stands also looks nice... again diy?
The amp Powering the OBs is a Oldchen tune amplifier bought from Aliexpress (landed cost 24K) with Beresford DAC feeding the amp with Source from iPhone (Spotify premium) through a Belkin Soundstream Bluetooth receiver with digital out.

Yea the stand is DIY plywood box sand filled and sealed on top with a granite slab. Pretty heavy.

SwamiF7A1553C-79FC-4EE3-B038-5D6B22FAF800.jpeg

From 2009 to now..considering inflation Rs 20000 has become Rs 45000

So maybe people can select their favorite speakers at about Rs 45000 - Rs 50000 per pair range as relevant for year 2020.

So maybe people can select their favorite speakers at about Rs 45000 - Rs 50000 per pair range as relevant for year 2020.
i think 20k is a good benchmark since it serves as a guide for budding audiophiles to dabble into the hobby by gauging the experience of forum members vis-a-vis the budget segment. Also, there are some great options available below 20K still (certain older speakers which were retailing for above 20k are now available below this threshold whereas certain newer speakers below this threshold also outdo pricier competition).

Adding to the thread, my favourite sub 20K speakers are the Boston Acoustics A26. Though they don't stand out in any particular respect, they are extremely well rounded speakers and were the perfect stepping stone by providing a good dose of hifi sound without breaking the bank. They can go pretty loud as well considering these have 6.5 inch mid-bass drivers.

In the last few years when they were still available with retailers, they were being given away for as little as 14k.

Perhaps a separate thread for favourite speakers between 20k and 50k?

Congrats. Thats quite a deal. After living with the missions and having heard the Elac and QA 3020is, how do you feel the missions compare?
I am not so goods with words and cannot give honest opinion as the amp and room is different. I prefer Elac for overall sound. Mission LX2 is more recessed in mids and highs for my taste. I felt less bass impact from 3020i in demo room.
I am still playing with audessy to fine tune mission EQ for my taste.

Under 20k if bass is not a concern, I'd vote for the NHT SuperZero 2.1's. It's an amazing near field listening speakers for the price. It not just sound nice, But also it's finished very well and it has a very good quality speaker terminals. They are wall mountable.. No bass reflex ports back (so, can place close to the walls).

They not only are cheaper in international markets, the pricing is also reasonable in India and make a good pair of surrounds too.

Has a great Stereophile review too. (SuperZero 2.0's though... 2.1 has an improved crossover. Rest are the same)

I'm personally using those as surrounds and can be a very good main speaker on a desktop environment and a small sub can really compliment those speakers.

I feel the Polk S15’s are super VFM under 20k.
It’s got great mids and vocal character but of course no deep bass but that said, one can be happy with the sound signature.
If paired with a good amp the tonality is quite crisp and clear and can fulfill ones wish of having a nice stereo set up and also can be used as surrounds in a HT.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back