Feasibility of Building a HT room with a streaming device/service like Netflix.

Prashob

Hi friends, is this even possible?

Last month I bought a full HD Epson Projector tw650+ Amazon firestick, plan was for occassional movie watching in the main living room with drop-down screen.
But after watching some movies me and wife where soo thrilled that we decided to setup a HT room upstairs(room size (19x10).I even started a thread here asking for speaker upgrades for my Yamaha 1840 which was very helpful got many replies. But then I thought my movie source is all online like Netflix,Amazon prime, hotstar etc which I suppose low in quality compared to Blu-Ray disk especially the 5.1 Audio.
I am more than ok with Netflix picture quality when projected to a 120inch screen, but what about Audio!! the most important factor, only Dolby digtal plus is available that too compressed I guess. Netflix ultra HD subscription is there but I am not sure about their audio quality.

My plan was to keep Yamaha receiver and upgrade it's speakers to taga platinum or polk series and after two months and my receiver to Denon x1400h or something but without quality source like BD player all this are not required right?

So those who all having dedicated HT room are using BD players as their source right?

So those who all having dedicated HT room are using BD players as their source right?

I have a "semi" dedicated HT room and use streaming services as my source the vast majority of the time.

Is it the best possible source? No.
Unfortunately, it is also the only source for some of the content I'd like to watch.

Hi friends, is this even possible?

Last month I bought a full HD Epson Projector tw650+ Amazon firestick, plan was for occassional movie watching in the main living room with drop-down screen.
But after watching some movies me and wife where soo thrilled that we decided to setup a HT room upstairs(room size (19x10).I even started a thread here asking for speaker upgrades for my Yamaha 1840 which was very helpful got many replies. But then I thought my movie source is all online like Netflix,Amazon prime, hotstar etc which I suppose low in quality compared to Blu-Ray disk especially the 5.1 Audio.
I am more than ok with Netflix picture quality when projected to a 120inch screen, but what about Audio!! the most important factor, only Dolby digtal plus is available that too compressed I guess. Netflix ultra HD subscription is there but I am not sure about their audio quality.

My plan was to keep Yamaha receiver and upgrade it's speakers to taga platinum or polk series and after two months and my receiver to Denon x1400h or something but without quality source like BD player all this are not required right?

To get the best sound quality u definitely need a Blu Ray player. Even a basic Blu Ray player will have better audio quality compared to the streaming devices. I even did tests using fire stick vs Blu Ray player. I played some action scenes from Netflix, nd streamed some contents from plex using a Blu Ray player nd fire stick nd the same content was much better in the Blu-ray player

How is Netflix 5.1 any good? There is no way to set Netflix audio to very high quality right?

Any one here tried Netflix movies in their dedicated HT room? How was the experience?

How is Netflix 5.1 any good? There is no way to set Netflix audio to very high quality right?

Any one here tried Netflix movies in their dedicated HT room? How was the experience?
The 5.1 Netflix output from a Blu ray player will be way better then fire stick or from tv through optical cable

The 5.1 Netflix output from a Blu ray player will be way better then fire stick or from tv through optical cable
You mean Netflix movie streamed through a smart blu ray player ? How is that possible because Netflix uses Dolby digtal plus for streaming through Blu Ray and firestick right?

You mean Netflix movie streamed through a smart blu ray player ? How is that possible because Netflix uses Dolby digtal plus for streaming through Blu Ray and firestick right?
Yeah. Just think of it this way a Blu Ray player starts at 8k and goes all the way till lakh. A 8k Blu Ray player will support dts HD master same as the 1 lakh Blu-ray player. But definitely the Audio quality will be better in the 1lakh Blu Ray compared to 8k Blu ray player even though they both play the same audio format. I just want to explain it simple rather then technical aspect

Yeah. Just think of it this way a Blu Ray player starts at 8k and goes all the way till lakh. A 8k Blu Ray player will support dts HD master same as the 1 lakh Blu-ray player. But definitely the Audio quality will be better in the 1lakh Blu Ray compared to 8k Blu ray player even though they both play the same audio format. I just want to explain it simple rather then technical aspect
Of course Blu Ray disc has dts HD, but you said Netflix movies through Blu ray player sounded better, thats not possible as per my understanding, because Netflix only stream compressed audio (DD+)no matter what player one is using,,or am I missing something?

Of course Blu Ray disc has dts HD, but you said Netflix movies through Blu ray player sounded better, thats not possible as per my understanding, because Netflix only stream compressed audio (DD+)no matter what player one is using,,or am I missing something?
Lol ur complicating it. I have fire stick nd a Sony basic 3d Blu Ray player. Netflix sounds better in Blu-ray player then the fire stick. I said same audio format not only dts HD. Even when a Blu Ray player plays Dolby digital or plus format it will sound better then fire stick. I am telling u this after comparing side by side. I watched few contents in plex as well. Same content in fire stick I need to turn my Denon AVR volume to -20 or -15 dB. But in my Blu-ray player even at -25 or even -30 db I can watch. Hope this was clear enough.

Lol ur complicating it. I have fire stick nd a Sony basic 3d Blu Ray player. Netflix sounds better in Blu-ray player then the fire stick. I said same audio format not only dts HD. Even when a Blu Ray player plays Dolby digital or plus format it will sound better then fire stick. I am telling u this after comparing side by side. I watched few contents in plex as well. Same content in fire stick I need to turn my Denon AVR volume to -20 or -15 dB. But in my Blu-ray player even at -25 or even -30 db I can watch. Hope this was clear enough.
Which model of br player do u have?

Sony bdp4500 it’s the most basic 3d Blu-ray player from Sony

So suppose a random day at work. I come.back from office plan to binge watch a season or maybe watch some new movie available on netflix or prime. If like i have a br player how is that ease possible then? In this digital era how does one justify the hassle of going thru buying this blu ray disk spending 1500 or so bucks just to watch just that one movie. Theres nothing in the digital/streaming side of things which is equally good if not better?

So suppose a random day at work. I come.back from office plan to binge watch a season or maybe watch some new movie available on netflix or prime. If like i have a br player how is that ease possible then? In this digital era how does one justify the hassle of going thru buying this blu ray disk spending 1500 or so bucks just to watch just that one movie. Theres nothing in the digital/streaming side of things which is equally good if not better?
I quite don’t understand the point your trying to make with this comment. Can u please explain more clearly.

Ya sure
Basically what i wanted to ask was that since u were comparing fire stick with a blu ray player and ofcourse like br player wud have better performance as u have also mentioned. I basically was curious to know whether all home theaterophiles( if thats a word:p) go thru this hassle of playing their source (a movie) thru a blu ray disk? Like they specially spend 1500 or so bucks to buy a cd and watch it? Like in this day and age where content is becoming more and more reachable isnt there anything in the streming side of things( netflix/prime)which is equally good? For us lazy ass ppl :p !!

Ya sure
Basically what i wanted to ask was that since u were comparing fire stick with a blu ray player and ofcourse like br player wud have better performance as u have also mentioned. I basically was curious to know whether all home theaterophiles( if thats a word:p) go thru this hassle of playing their source (a movie) thru a blu ray disk? Like they specially spend 1500 or so bucks to buy a cd and watch it? Like in this day and age where content is becoming more and more reachable isnt there anything in the streming side of things( netflix/prime)which is equally good? For us lazy ass ppl :p !!
Yeah definitely most of them who spent lakhs on a HT will prefer watchin Atmos nd dts HD master content. Only way to watch them is through Blu Ray player. Few who have a lot of cash may get the Blu day disc even though they cost 999-3000 rs there are pple who sell them in grey market for a cheap price. They are not the original copy but ripped from original disk and copied. But the output will be the same as original.

Yeah definitely most of them who spent lakhs on a HT will prefer watchin Atmos nd dts HD master content. Only way to watch them is through Blu Ray player. Few who have a lot of cash may get the Blu day disc even though they cost 999-3000 rs there are pple who sell them in grey market for a cheap price. They are not the original copy but ripped from original disk and copied. But the output will be the same as original.
So last. A br rip played thru usb over a blu ray player! How about that? How wud that compare to streaming?

So last. A br rip played thru usb over a blu ray player! How about that? How wud that compare to streaming?
Blu Ray RIP copied to a cheaper Blu ray disc and sold in grey market. To watch them in usb you will have to download them. Blu Ray RIP will be Atmos nd dts hd master so definitely 10 times better then streaming

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back