Feasibility of Building a HT room with a streaming device/service like Netflix.

Good information,, so if my only usage is playing local content (videos) and streaming Netflix buying a Blu-ray player is better than buying Android box costing 7~8 k and nividia shield costing 28k ?

And you imported it through amazon.com?
If your usage is for video streaming from Netflix/Youtube and HDD/NAS and playing rich audio content (DSD, FLAC etc.) certainly I would recommend this model (x700) as it support Dobly Vision apart from other features like 4K Ultra streaming, 4K upscaling/video enhancement . Only bad is it doesn't allow streaming Amazon prime in India. Nvidia Shield has it's own benefits. some times I need to play blu-ray disc that's the reason I preferred BDP. I bought it from Amazon.com when there's Black Friday offer, you can import it directly from there by paying extra imported and shipping changes. I think now it's available in India at 27K approx. check price comparison.

If your usage is for video streaming from Netflix/Youtube and HDD/NAS and playing rich audio content (DSD, FLAC etc.) certainly I would recommend this model (x700) as it support Dobly Vision apart from other features like 4K Ultra streaming, 4K upscaling/video enhancement . Only bad is it doesn't allow streaming Amazon prime in India. Nvidia Shield has it's own benefits. some times I need to play blu-ray disc that's the reason I preferred BDP. I bought it from Amazon.com when there's Black Friday offer, you can import it directly from there by paying extra imported and shipping changes. I think now it's available in India at 27K approx. check price comparison.
Ok, so it can play Blu-ray rips/Mp4/MKV files from USB hardisk? Compatible with all codecs? If so which is the cheapest bluray model available in India??(4k/Dolby vision not required)

Ok, so it can play Blu-ray rips/Mp4/MKV files from USB hardisk? Compatible with all codecs? If so which is the cheapest bluray model available in India?
I am using sony bdp 4500 it is a 3d blu ray player and it plays almost all formats. Now this model is not available but there is another model sony bdp-1500 and it has the same specs as bdp 4500 only difference is it will not support 3d and it costs somewhere around 8k only.

I am using sony bdp 4500 it is a 3d blu ray player and it plays almost all formats. Now this model is not available but there is another model sony bdp-1500 and it has the same specs as bdp 4500 only difference is it will not support 3d and it costs somewhere around 8k only.
Ok thanks, so for Netflix/youtube streaming + playing USB Hdd files then the cheapest blueray player will be?
Sony bdp1500 don't have Netflix right?

Ok thanks, so for Netflix/youtube streaming + playing USB Hdd files then the cheapest blueray player will be?
Sony bdp1500 don't have Netflix right?
It has netflix, youtube and almost plays anything from HDD files. You can also stream movies, music from your PC setting up a media server like plex

It has netflix, youtube and almost plays anything from HDD files. You can also stream movies, music from your PC setting up a media server like plex
Thank you very much, final question,, when BDP1500 play Dts HD/Aac3 video files through USB HDD can it bitstream 5.1 audio to AVR??

Thank you very much, final question,, when BDP1500 play Dts HD/Aac3 video files through USB HDD can it bitstream 5.1 audio to AVR??
Most of the movies i watched are in DTS hd master and dolby tru hd. It even supports dts X and Atmos.

For sony x700,i got a quote from sony dealer showroom last month for Rs.27k,,dont know recent price,trying tommorrow from chroma.I have lgc8 55in,so tempted to buy it,buying from india is
you get the option of 1yr warranty.

I also have 4kfire stick,with a paid Netflix subscription RS.800/-per year,so this 4kbluray should
do justice to me and easily connect 4k stick to it and enjoy superior audio,should i go ahead,how is the performance.

rajesh.

For sony x700,i got a quote from sony dealer showroom last month for Rs.27k,,dont know recent price,trying tommorrow from chroma.I have lgc8 55in,so tempted to buy it,buying from india is
you get the option of 1yr warranty.

I also have 4kfire stick,with a paid Netflix subscription RS.800/-per year,so this 4kbluray should
do justice to me and easily connect 4k stick to it and enjoy superior audio,should i go ahead,how is the performance.

rajesh.
800 per year or month? Nd u cannot connect the stick to Blu Ray player

Y u want to connect 4k stick to a Blu Ray player? U don’t need to.

As mentioned in this thread that netflix through bluray player we get superior audio.

Haribabu mentioned as below.

I agree, watching Netflix from blu-ray is certainly gr8 pleasure if it's 4K ultra BD player.
Recently I have added Sony UBP-x700 (imported from US) to my AV landscape which beats My Sony 4K tv.
Only concern is you need to have best HDMI cable to avoid flickering. I have connected everything (NAS, Netflix, Youtube etc.) through BDP for watching and listening. I can enjoy crisp of rich audio tracks.

Are you sure and did you do a side by side comparison? If so which Blu Ray player? I tried comparing the fire stick nd my Sony Blu Ray player. And in my Blu Ray player Netflix, YouTube, plex all sounds punchy nd loud at just -30db. But in firestick I need to keep it at -15 or -20 nd even still it’s not punchy or dynamic as the Blu Ray player. Nd side by side I mean on a same avr same settings different hdmi ports.
In that case there is some processing happening at BR side before it reach AVR. Raw digital signals should not be different between two sources

In that case there is some processing happening at BR side before it reach AVR. Raw digital signals should not be different between two sources
Yeah definitely there will be some processing. That is why audio is better in the BR compared to the stick. I think a good Blu-ray player gives the best audio nd video out put.

Alternatively, apple TV can be a choice. I read somewhere that movies in itunes have better quality compared to Netflix. Rent the movies from itunes and but the one you really wish to keep. I guess, it runs amazon prime too and that way you can watch more movies and shows. If that is sufficient, you save Rs 800 every month. The only catch is if your favourite show is available only in netflix.

Oh ok thanks, that's new information to me.

Any senior member can confirm this?

I have grey hair and grey beard too. If that makes me senior I would be glad to help :D

The only reason why Netflix might sound better on a 4k player than a streamer will be because of a wired ethernet connection. Ofcourse the visuals will be vastly superior from a 4k player. But not a huge leap for audio. There are wired ethernet adaptors for Amazon fire TV stick, which improves connection stability and quality of audio and video

Yeah definitely there will be some processing. That is why audio is better in the BR compared to the stick. I think a good Blu-ray player gives the best audio nd video out put.
Instead of connecting to the blue ray player, try connecting to your TV and get the audio back to AVR via ARC and see that makes any difference.
Also you should be able to check the bit rate indicator for audio on your BDP and see for actual numbers.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back