Feature Request: You've Been Quoted!

Bluu

T-BHP has a cool feature which informs you if someone has quoted you in a reply. This makes it easy to keep abreast of discussions one might be engaged in across different threads in different sub-fora. I, for one, always forget which threads I have posted in and that can mean that someone may have a question for me, which I answer either very late when I stumble on the thread again or worst case, never. (MBR must be aware of the feature I'm mentioning)

Can we get a feasibility check for this feature here on HFV?
Cheers!

PS - Please don't hate me for bringing up T-BHP here. It really is a nice feature which I discovered there.

That would be a good feature. It is difficult to keep track of multiple chains of discussions. Thanks for raising this.

Regards,
Antony

bluu, yep, I am aware of this feature which was introduced in the recent past on t bhp. It's really a boon as you get notified about a post or thread which requires your attention/ where you can contribute.

In HFV, there is an option to automatically subscribe to a thread the moment you post on a thread. Once subscribed, you get these threads listed in your User CP (User control panel) and also have an option to get a message in the mail id you have given.

captain,

Can you please tell whats the option to be set to automatically subscribe to threads posted. I subscribe threads manually and the updates are shown in user cp. Also, is there a limit to number of threads which can be subscibed

In the 'User control panel', click on 'Edit options' under 'Settings & Options' and make your choice. AFAIK, there is no limit of subscriptions. I have close to 150 subscriptions. In fact once a while, I delete subscriptions to those threads where I made a post.

Capt, I know that subscriptions exist but many times a thread is steaming forward and you may not have time on your hands to peruse all the new posts. This feature is very handy because you know that you have been quoted and you can easily go back and contribute. Also, a subscription email will be sent irrespective of what has been posted but this request is specific to a person being quoted.

Capt, I know that subscriptions exist but many times a thread is steaming forward and you may not have time on your hands to peruse all the new posts. This feature is very handy because you know that you have been quoted and you can easily go back and contribute. Also, a subscription email will be sent irrespective of what has been posted but this request is specific to a person being quoted.

I get your point Bluu, what you are suggesting is a cool feature. Just trying to help some new members who may not be aware of the subscription thingy which comes close to what you are suggesting. What you are suggesting is much more apt for someone who wants to make contribution to a thread only if he is quoted.

Last edited:
This would definitely be a very good feature to have.

Not only can we be notified when we have been quoted, we can also draw the attention of specific members to a thread/post by quoting them.

I experienced such feature in a different US deal site. That was really awesome. We get prompt replies in threads.

you have been quoted! Exactly the feature on my mind for last couple of days as I am implementing quote feature in comments on my site!

I didn't see it anywhere so I thought I was very innovative :D

I also have a comment notification feature, but I club all comments made within 5 minutes and send one single email. That helps in reducing flood of mailbox.

Last edited:
There is a similar feature, along the same lines, that could also be considered (in addition to the one Bluu has suggested).

In my post number #9 here, that is what I was actually referring to, when I said we could draw the attention of specific members to a thread/post:

If would be great if we could have notifications for "@" mentions. If we can type in a person's username prefixed by "@" to have a notification sent to that person, that would be great.

This is especially useful when we mention somebody's username in a thread in which that person has not participated in recently. For example, Bluu had asked Santosh and GeorgeO here about when he could visit them to get help with with room treatment in his new apartment. (Bluu, I hope you don't mind my using this as an example :) ). If the @mention feature was active, both Santosh and GeorgeO would get notifications informing them that they have been mentioned in that thread. Otherwise, Santosh or GeorgeO may not even know that they had been mentioned, unless they actually visited that thread, or unless somebody specifically drew their attention to it.

Gearheads.in, a forum I visit, has this feature implemented, and I've found it very useful.

There is a similar feature, along the same lines, that could also be considered (in addition to the one Bluu has suggested).

In my post number #9 here, that is what I was actually referring to, when I said we could draw the attention of specific members to a thread/post:

If would be great if we could have notifications for "@" mentions. If we can type in a person's username prefixed by "@" to have a notification sent to that person, that would be great.

This is especially useful when we mention somebody's username in a thread in which that person has not participated in recently. For example, Bluu had asked Santosh and GeorgeO here about when he could visit them to get help with with room treatment in his new apartment. (Bluu, I hope you don't mind my using this as an example :) ). If the @mention feature was active, both Santosh and GeorgeO would get notifications informing them that they have been mentioned in that thread. Otherwise, Santosh or GeorgeO may not even know that they had been mentioned, unless they actually visited that thread, or unless somebody specifically drew their attention to it.

Gearheads.in, a forum I visit, has this feature implemented, and I've found it very useful.

Thanks Hydra for the free bump to the other thread :) This Twitter/FB type behavior, combined with the "you've been quoted" feature will be quite awesome. I think, however, that the current forum software we have may not support this. I hope it does!

It will be a great feature to have.
Even if our quote is deleted or modified when replying, we must get the notification.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back