Fed up with onkyo’s quality

anshu22

Hi all. Need some advice

I used to have a onkyo 3300. the receiver would break down almost every year and the service center would charge me 4-5 k every time saying some card or something malfunctioned.

thinking I got a bad unit and wanting to upgrade for a better unit I got the onkyo 5805... but just like its sibling it started crashing every year. Till it was in warranty I was covered but now I have spent almost 10 k repairing it twice after the warranty got over. When I complained about the horrible quality of these flimsy receivers To the store guy I was told that I might have a faulty electrical point. Didn’t agree with that as I have my tv and PS4 running fine on it without issues. I was told to get a ups 1100 VA from AMC and plug it in the mains and not the home inverter point. Spent 6K for that as well and a few months later the bloody reciever dies again. I have never seen such a expensive equipment with such shoddy durability.

do you guys face this issue too with other brands?

do I dare switch to Denon or Yamaha or are they all this crappy?

Last edited:
I am now on my second Denon. Used the first one for 10 years, then sold at a decent price to upgrade to a new model. Never had any problem.

Hi all. Need some advice

I used to have a onkyo 3300. the receiver would break down almost every year and the service center would charge me 4-5 k every time saying some card or something malfunctioned.

thinking I got a bad unit and wanting to upgrade for a better unit I got the onkyo 5805... but just like its sibling it started crashing every year. Till it was in warranty I was covered but now I have spent almost 10 k repairing it twice after the warranty got over. When I complained about the horrible quality of these flimsy receivers To the store guy I was told that I might have a faulty electrical point. Didn’t agree with that as I have my tv and PS4 running fine on it without issues. I was told to get a ups 1100 VA from AMC and plug it in the mains and not the home inverter point. Spent 6K for that as well and a few months later the bloody reciever dies again. I have never seen such a expensive equipment with such shoddy durability.

do I dare switch to Denon or Yamaha or are they all this crappy?
Depends on what fails? Does your technician tell you something that you understand? Do you trust them?

Usually the older Onkyo units were good. 3300 was a good model. Question is did you get a lemon from the start? I know because I used to work for an Onkyo dealer eons ago.
Anyway the newer ones in Onkyo usually have problems with their HDMI boards. There are innumerable threads about this. This is quite common across brands in terms of HDMI board failures.
I am using a non HDMI unit of Denon AVR 3803 from 2004 without a problem.
Denons are good units too. Make sure you buy one with good build quality like the uber amps of yester years. Doesnt matter which brand. All of them had their ubers. There is a famous thread by Rishu Guru on this in our forum. Check it out a real worthwhile read for all new buyers.
My friend had a uber amp with him for sale. I don't know if he has sold it or not.
Check our forum for sale threads for sales. You might strike a good deal. Hope this helps.

I am using Denon from last seven years and it works just fine without any problem. Within this seven years , I have done preventive servicing from ProFx to clean moisture, dust, jumpers, contacts, rusting and to apply anti rust/corrosion liquid like rustolene. With same care the Denon may last with me for next five years.

Denon is definitely more reliable.
If you're going to be spending around 5k almost every year, my advice would be to get rid of it while it is still functional.
You can then decide between Denon, Marantz or Yamaha.

To me Yamaha and Marantz are reliable AVR manufacturers currently. Denon is not far behind.

Depends on what fails? Does your technician tell you something that you understand? Do you trust them?

well the previous one 3300 used to have regular HDMI card failures. This new one keeps showing with a error “amp diag mode” and then shuts off. The service center guys say some capacitor blew up. They claim to have changed it and other things but it’s happening now for the 4th time.Same problem. Amp diag mode error and then it shuts off. I tried unplugging everything and factory resetting it. Earlier it would just konk out. No display too. But now it resets.... works for 5 min and goes back to amp diag mode and shuts off. Why are these so friggin delicate. I dont even play them that loud. And use them occasionally to watch a movie

well the previous one 3300 used to have regular HDMI card failures. This new one keeps showing with a error “amp diag mode” and then shuts off. The service center guys say some capacitor blew up. They claim to have changed it and other things but it’s happening now for the 4th time.Same problem. Amp diag mode error and then it shuts off. I tried unplugging everything and factory resetting it. Earlier it would just konk out. No display too. But now it resets.... works for 5 min and goes back to amp diag mode and shuts off. Why are these so friggin delicate. I dont even play them that loud. And use them occasionally to watch a movie
Ok, so it is about HDMI...did you try using some other HDMI cable? Please try if you have not. As someone posted in this forum some days ago, HDMI cables can produce kind of problems that appear totally irrelevant.

Ok, so it is about HDMI...did you try using some other HDMI cable? Please try if you have not. As someone posted in this forum some days ago, HDMI cables can produce kind of problems that appear totally irrelevant.

the old 3300 uses to have the HDMI problem. Card would keep failing and were replaced. I got the onkyo 5805 3 years ago but that also keeps failing with a error”amp diag mode” the reciever just shuts off. Got it repaired 3 times already by the service center. it’s really frustrating to have spent so much money and still sitting with a deadbox. And the irony is... when I upgraded my tv during the same time I got this onkyo 5805...lg gave me a sound bar system with a sub along with the new tv which I gave to my brother as I didn’t need it and that has been playing without a single glitch for all this time.

Sorry to know about your experience. I am presently running an used Onkyo SR875 which is more ten years old. Though it runs very very hot it didn't fail yet. I have been using for 4/5 years now. However during summers I don't use the HDMI connections, I use the optical inputs to get the DTS / Dolby effects and connect the HDMI directly to the TV. This makes it less susceptible to heat and conk the HDMI board. One may argue that it defeats the purpose of an AVR but it works for me since I am mainly a stereo guy.

I have used a variety of AVRs of all popular brands barring very high end ones - mostly used ones but none of them failed. I guess you just inherited lemons.

This experience shouldn't detract you from enjoying HT, suggest you try Yamaha once. They do have their own service centres unlike Marantz / Denon. I personally used lot of Marantz gear and all were exceptional. However I also heard painful stories when things go wrong.

Why not try a used AVR from a reputed member if you don't have one. My suggestion is to buy a older one with just Dolby / DTS and use the digital connections. Also get the most powerful you can get. You should be sorted for some time.

but just like its sibling it started crashing every year.

Feel sad for your experience.. Since you already have bad experience with Onkyo, better to try other brands..

An Onkyo AVR user for more than a decades time.. I did have the TX-NR 818 which was famous for HDMI problems.. But i lost that AVR during lightning strike.. My brother has Onkyo TX- RZ 730, newer model.. No issues with it so far.. He had Denon x 2200 for less than a years time and it conked off.. Can't really blame a brand. Just that it was an unfortunate experience..

I own the Denon x 3300, but it has been rock solid for 3 yrs time.. Failure of AVR is a probability, but not attached to any brand..

the old 3300 uses to have the HDMI problem. Card would keep failing and were replaced. I got the onkyo 5805 3 years ago but that also keeps failing with a error”amp diag mode” the reciever just shuts off. Got it repaired 3 times already

I think you should still check for root cause before switching brand and running into same problem once again. Are both onkyos brought from the same dealer? I have never heard of such repeated issues before.

What other components on the chain do you have which are always connected to AVR? May be some feedback current is coming through them when your other devices are running but your AVR is not running as we see in some cases with faulty ground, hope your grounding is fine. Do you have the habit of using your AVR in standby mode too often?

Also can you check what is the average mains voltage in your area? I have recently come across this theory that 110-270 V devices have a shorter life if there is average higher voltage 230+ due to increased heating of the MOS components used in SMPS.

I think you should still check for root cause before switching brand and running into same problem once again. Are both onkyos brought from the same dealer? I have never heard of such repeated issues before.

What other components on the chain do you have which are always connected to AVR? May be some feedback current is coming through them when your other devices are running but your AVR is not running as we see in some cases with faulty ground, hope your grounding is fine. Do you have the habit of using your AVR in standby mode too often?

Also can you check what is the average mains voltage in your area? I have recently come across this theory that 110-270 V devices have a shorter life if there is average higher voltage 230+ due to increased heating of the MOS components used in SMPS.

Yes both onkyo were purchased and repaired at the same authorised dealer in delhi

I usually have a PS4 connected to the avr but its rarely on.

after the initial issues I stated keeping the avr unplugged so avoid any fluctuations even in standby. But the problem would still happen. The repair person at the center asked how often do I use it. I told him rarely as I was afraid it would malfunction. He then told me long period of unuse also leads in some problems so I need to use it at least once a day

it used to be connected to the same wall socket where everything else (tv, console, dth) which was backed up by the home inverter backup.
The dealer said that might be the problem and I need to put the avr on a 1100va UPS from AMC to avoid any power fluctuations and make sure that’s not on the inverter point. I did that too but still the avr shut off. I did notice the day it collapsed the bottom portion of the avr was extremely hot. Right where that cube transformer thing is

I did notice the day it collapsed the bottom portion of the avr was extremely hot. Right where that cube transformer thing is

What is the regular voltage coming in your mains? Day and night both. Is there a way to measure?

One rule I follow with my equipment is volume control. When starting or shutting I turn the volume to 0. So that when you start the avr it doesn't get sudden power load. I play music for 5 mins on low volume to get it warmed up. And then play a movie with a loud volume. The hifi showroom manager told me to use a good quality spike protector religiously.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back