Feedback on Denon x3500

Dharam`

Dear Friends,

I am building my new system that I plan to use 75% for music and 25% for movies. I have been following this forum actively past couple months.
I had 1to1 chat with few of FMs and received very prompt and helping response. Based on my little research on this forum and knowledge shared by friends in this forum I decided take a step at a time.
I am starting with AVR and Towers speakers. Next step would be Center Channel and Power Amplifier. At later stage I would add decent preamp for pure two channel listening and that time AVR will be fully on HT duty.

For AVR, my requirement is AVR with preouts and decent power. When I add PA at later stage, the AVR should be able to take care of Center,surround and sorround back.
Listening space dimension 15x11.

Based on this I zeroed on Denon x3500.
Kindly share feedback on this AVR in terms of sound quality , power , any other feedback.
Also please suggest if it would be ok go with 3500 provided its two generation old model.

Best Regards,
Dharam

Based on this I zeroed on Denon x3500...Also please suggest if it would be ok go with 3500 provided its two generation old model.
I am using the next version 3600 and dont see any reason why you should think twice about the 3500.

Dear Friends,

I am building my new system that I plan to use 75% for music and 25% for movies. I have been following this forum actively past couple months.
I had 1to1 chat with few of FMs and received very prompt and helping response. Based on my little research on this forum and knowledge shared by friends in this forum I decided take a step at a time.
I am starting with AVR and Towers speakers. Next step would be Center Channel and Power Amplifier. At later stage I would add decent preamp for pure two channel listening and that time AVR will be fully on HT duty.

For AVR, my requirement is AVR with preouts and decent power. When I add PA at later stage, the AVR should be able to take care of Center,surround and sorround back.
Listening space dimension 15x11.

Based on this I zeroed on Denon x3500.
Kindly share feedback on this AVR in terms of sound quality , power , any other feedback.
Also please suggest if it would be ok go with 3500 provided its two generation old model.

Best Regards,
Dharam
I think you can go with the x3500 hands down. It’s a good AV Receiver and now available at a very good price on HiFiMART as well.
The 3500 does really well for both Music and Movies. Most people prefer Marantz over Denon for music because of the softness in nature but then Denon is not bad either.
I have used Denon purely for music too and am quite happy with the sound signature. Since you would be moving the AV receiver for full HT duty in the future I’d suggest go with the 3500 for now and later when you are planning on adding a Power Amp you can look at a good streamer / preamp like Audiolab or Parasound NC200 or CA Azur or Yamaha WXC (quite good for the price) and have a switcher to change between HT and Stereo. That way you will be getting the best out of both.

Regards,
Som

I think you can go with the x3500 hands down. It’s a good AV Receiver and now available at a very good price on HiFiMART as well.
The 3500 does really well for both Music and Movies. Most people prefer Marantz over Denon for music because of the softness in nature but then Denon is not bad either.
I have used Denon purely for music too and am quite happy with the sound signature. Since you would be moving the AV receiver for full HT duty in the future I’d suggest go with the 3500 for now and later when you are planning on adding a Power Amp you can look at a good streamer / preamp like Audiolab or Parasound NC200 or CA Azur or Yamaha WXC (quite good for the price) and have a switcher to change between HT and Stereo. That way you will be getting the best out of both.

Regards,
Som

Some of these units, eg AudioLab and Parasound have HT bypass built-in.
So no need for an external switcher.

Cheers,
Raghu

Dealers are telling that going for a earlier generation of receivers will put us in risk of unavailability of component spares, as manufacturers provide spares only for 3 years at the max for the generation of AVR. In that case, X3500H is 2018 model and after one year from now, its difficult to service the receiver, in case of any issue? your views please?

So basically nothing will happen to these AVR's unless your luck is bad and you experience a sudden surge in power due to lightning of that sort. In that case all devices that are connected will be impacted anyways. Most dealers try to push the newer model coz of unavailability of the older product with them. I think its just the mind games they play.

I know some guys who have not had any issues with their AVR's for more than 10+ years and they still get to service it here and there. I also think there has not been much changes in the basic components that are being used between the new and old.

The manufacturers usually add newer features to their line up by making some minor changes and apart from that they would not spend time and money in redesigning the entire circuitry every other year. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Som,
I bought denon 3500 and finally my Platinum Achal also arrived today. I did setup and just played couple of tracks.
Initial impression is amazing.
I have production release this weekend so I will be able to spend more serious time some time Sunday till then I will listen but bits and pieces.

Thank you very much for your all your help in building my system.

Also big thank you all friends here whom I reached via PM and received prompt response. Cheers.

Last edited:
Congratulations @Dharam. Enzoy your set up. They make a very good combination. Please post some pics when you find time.

Regards,
Som

Hi Som,
I bought denon 3500 and finally my Platinum Achal also arrived today. I did setup and just played couple of tracks.
Initial impression is amazing.
I have production release this weekend so I will be able to spend more serious time some time Sunday till then I will listen but bits and pieces.

Thank you very much for your all your help in building my system.

Also big thank you all friends here whom I reached via PM and received prompt response. Cheers.
Hi Dharam... at what price, the deal is closed. I am from Hyderabad and looking for it.

Apart from the SQ, what I like about IndiqAudio is their pricing consistency. Having said that, the prices of their products is about 40/50% of the products with similar sound quality. I was in the market for about 1 year to get the right product and finally zeroed on Achal. Platinum Achal + Denon is a brilliant combo.
I too have driven them with my Denon 2600 before getting a Power Amp and was extremely satisfied with the sound.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back