feedback on the new sony DVD Player - DVP-NS78H

shamps

i am looking for a dvd player for my second bedroom and was looking at the new denon 1740 thats the upgraded 1730 then i came across the above mentioned dvd player from sony..

as the features state that it can upscale SD dvds to full 1080p and i was wondering is some can provide feedback to its upscaling and playback capabilities....

its reasonably priced (MRP-rs. 5990) and as far as my experience goes with sony, they make quality products, so it has got me interested.

some user reviews on amazon state it to be better than the denon 1730 so i m having second thoughts spending rs. 18000 on the denon 1740.....

any feedback or comments will be appreciated.....

hers is a link...

Sony India : DVP-NS78H (DVPNS78H) : Details

cheers!!!
shamps

Do take a look at the Pioneer DV-600AV first. It is probably the best budget DVD/Universal player on the market at around 13k. It plays SACD, DVD-A, upscales to 1080p, has a USB input and plays MP3s from DVD-R's. An older model, DV-696, is also available but lacks the USB connection. Of course, CD Audio playback will be lacking as it is in all entry-level DVD players (not a problem if you are using Digital-out).

P.S. Are you planning to use it with an AV Receiver or a Stereo Amplifier/TV? Reason for asking is, it helps to look for players that also do DTS decoding. DTS digital passthru is common but then you get no sound out of analog connections.

Last edited:
Do take a look at the Pioneer DV-600AV first. It is probably the best budget DVD/Universal player on the market at around 13k. It plays SACD, DVD-A, upscales to 1080p, has a USB input and plays MP3s from DVD-R's. An older model, DV-696, is also available but lacks the USB connection. Of course, CD Audio playback will be lacking as it is in all entry-level DVD players (not a problem if you are using Digital-out).

P.S. Are you planning to use it with an AV Receiver or a Stereo Amplifier/TV? Reason for asking is, it helps to look for players that also do DTS decoding. DTS digital passthru is common but then you get no sound out of analog connections.

thanks for the reply particleman....
well yes i will feed the optical out to my onkyo tx-sr705....
the pioneer seems to be a nice option..
the price u mentioned above, is the the aurthorised price of or the grey market price........???

Hi There,

If you ask me, value for money, doesn't have on board decoder, so if you are routing it thru your AVR then it's fine. Only draw back is if you want to use it for HDMI O/p to a Projector at a distance greater than 10 metres - it wont work.

Audio and Video quality is great at this price, I've used it and no complaints, so far it reads all kinds of region DVD Discs.

Noshansu

Hi There,

If you ask me, value for money, doesn't have on board decoder, so if you are routing it thru your AVR then it's fine. Only draw back is if you want to use it for HDMI O/p to a Projector at a distance greater than 10 metres - it wont work.

Audio and Video quality is great at this price, I've used it and no complaints, so far it reads all kinds of region DVD Discs.

Noshansu

thanks noshansu.....
well to be honest, i am lurking towards the pioneer seggested by particleman.. and moreover i have found that its available for around 7000-8000 in thailand, so am gonna ask my dad to bring it for me as he is visitin bangkok in a couple of days.......
will update once i get it .....

cheers!!!

well i finally got the pioneer dv600 and surely this thing rocks....

amazing pq .. cudnt be better for this price....

cheers and thanks to all for the advise....

Hi Shamps,

The new mrp for the Sony 78H Dvd player is now 4,990/-. Really worth it man, go for it. Denon 1740 is also good but too steep a price if your looking at something for your bedroom at budget price with really good picture quality.

Regds

Noshansu

Hi Shamps,

The new mrp for the Sony 78H Dvd player is now 4,990/-. Really worth it man, go for it. Denon 1740 is also good but too steep a price if your looking at something for your bedroom at budget price with really good picture quality.

Regds

Noshansu

i have already laid me hands on the pioneer mate......
awesome equipment if u ask me......

cheers!!!!

I just read some articles about your new DVD player Pioneer DV-600AV at TestFreaks in DVD-players reviews category

What can I say?
Score 7.0 out of 10 (but I think it has to be more) Nice features. Low price..
First of all - shamps, congratulations with the good choice, and for second - I think I will buy it for myself as well :)
Thanks for this idea!

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back