FEVICOL as Vinyl Cleaner !!!!

Wow.

How can you guarantee that no gunk gets left behind in the grooves for the stylus to pick up?

hi shaizada,

if you've ever used fevicol you'll have noticed that it rubs right off your fingers peeling off in one piece. so not too much gunk left behind though a little would be. though its a hell of a time consuming process to implement to clean many records.

regards

Thanks to all for the comments.

Dear Asit, a friend of mine from US had said many audiophiles have tried yellow carpenters glue to eliminate surface noise with great success.

Incidentally, last year i used a badly scratched EP disc as ornamental fan behind the Ganesha idol during festival. I had pasted decorative papers on it with a coat of Fevicol. After some days fevicol started peeling. Upon close inspection i noticed the dried Fevicol had replicated the grooves of vinyl record with lot of dirt from EP, looked like a disc copy.:D

So this led me to experiment :)

Last Saturday i experimented with a EP coated with thick layer of Fevicol, left overnight. In fact I was worried a bit as i had no idea to remove the dried glue. It was just a trial & error method, but i started peeling from one end, took some time to remove the whole dried glue. I experimented again with my precious Dire Straits LP, coated only one side. this time, glue came off the disc without much problem. [ could be because of thick glue] After cleaning & air dried, i played the other side of the disc cleaned with soap and water, sounded miserable with lot of static noise, but the side treated with Fevicol is enjoyable to listen to with little pops & crackle :)

I do not know the answer to your third question, may be there are options.

I also noticed that leaving Fevicol too long become less pliable and more difficult to remove in one piece & i have no idea of using this technique on old 78 RPM shellac records.

Regards,
Anil

My experiment with Dire Straits Lp​

052.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

054.jpg

MY DIY TOWERS

DIY Refractor Telescope

Hi Anil,

It's amazing, to say the least. But, I like to ask:

1) How did you think of such a method?
2) How were you sure that after drying, the glue layer will just simply peel off? Basically, how did you know that the glue will basically attract all the dirt and grease without forming a bond with the vinyl when dried? I have very little knowledge of macroscopic properties of materials, and that's why asking.
3) Is there any choice other than Fevicol which may also work?

Thanks a lot for the innovation. But let us know more by answering the questions, especially I am interested to know the thought process that went into it.

Last edited:
hi anil,

just curious how many lps do you clean at a time? do you do a batch and leave them to dry? or one at a time?

and what record player is it?

your diy speakers look lovely! way to go!

regards

2 LP's at a time. I am using Sonodyne Uranus TT bought in 1995 from Music Magic, St Marks Road.

Regards,
Anil

hi anil,

just curious how many lps do you clean at a time? do you do a batch and leave them to dry? or one at a time?

and what record player is it?

your diy speakers look lovely! way to go!

regards

Isnt there a danger two LPs will stick together with fevicol and never come off? :)

Cheers

Well in that case we will have a heavier reocrd with two sides.Might sound even better. Calls for another patent.

(1) Anil, there seems to be two threads with the same title. See this link http://www.hifivision.com/articles-guides/4812-fevicol-vinyl-cleaner-3.html. I had posted the following point in that and was surprised when it did not show up here.

(2) Anil, it looks as if an Australian company has taken up your idea and made a product of it.

RECORD REViRGiNiZER Vinyl Record Cleaner & Restorer

What a name, but. It makes a record into a virgin again. What women will give to get something like that.

Cheers

Hi venkat, thanks for the info. This was suppose to be a sticky thread, but moderator has copied the contents of this thread at Articles & Guides section, sorry for the confusion.

ukjeyaraj: thanks for the comment.

What a name, but. It makes a record into a virgin again. What women will give to get something like that
:lol: :D

Regards,
Anil

MY DIY TOWERS :)

some innovation..on this..Re: FEVICOL as Vinyl Cleaner !!!!

Hey guys..rememeber how women get waxing done? dont u think we could do something similar here? they ofcourse use cold wax and cloth strips. Cold wax is applied and cloth strips are placed, after while they are pulled off with force...I haven't tried this, just got thinking when I read through this thread..But will have to first find out with what to remove the residual wax. Also this can also be done with rolling dough prepared for roties. Roll the dough over the groves and the dirt will get stuck to the dough. The residual atta can be removed with warm water. This if works out well in experiments could be the easiest and cheapest way to clean records. The only negative being that the adhesion strength isn't as strong as cold wax or fevicol. So experimentation will tell.

Cheers.

Is it necessary to wash the vinyl before & after fevicol?
Is it possible to make it a one-step process,apply fevicol, peel it off and tah-dah, the clean vinyl!

Is it necessary to wash the vinyl before & after fevicol?
Is it possible to make it a one-step process,apply fevicol, peel it off and tah-dah, the clean vinyl!

Before = Optional but recommended for better result
After = MUST as peeling always does not remove the thin glue film.

Best regards

Before = Optional but recommended for better result
After = MUST as peeling always does not remove the thin glue film.

Best regards

Thanks. A couple of more questions(these may sound silly cause i never handeled a vinyl before but i will now)
1. Does touching the surface with hand cause scratches like it does to cd's.
2. Does wipeing create more scratches if not done with a lot of care?
Just want to know how deilcate they are and why it gets scratched so often.

Thanks. A couple of more questions(these may sound silly cause i never handeled a vinyl before but i will now)
1. Does touching the surface with hand cause scratches like it does to cd's.
2. Does wipeing create more scratches if not done with a lot of care?
Just want to know how deilcate they are and why it gets scratched so often.

1. Actually no. But it's good idea not to touch the playing surface (after washing the records) with bare hand as that will transfer oil & dirt from the fingers onto the record surface.

2. Yes, if wiped with a dirty cloth or wiped with lots of dust/debris on the record.

I have seen dusty old inner sleeves make very fine scratches, so replacing them with new one would be good.
Regards

A little off thd topic, hope mods wont mind. Where do we get these sleeves? What material are they made of exactly? I have a relative who manufactures flexible packaging material, i can ask him to manufacture a few hundred/thousand for me and members if they are intrested. I know there is a different thread about this topic but there its suggested to get it online from US which i dont find fesable in my case. Thanks.

I think vinyl can be scratched with a finger nail. Obviously, this is not going to happen with normally careful handling.

Finger tips, as Bhaskarcan says, leave grease on the surface. Even if they do not leave dirt as well, the grease will hold dust particles, and it will also be transferred to the stylus, where it will do the same.
A little off thd topic, hope mods wont mind. Where do we get these sleeves?
I think there are threads on LP sleeves already. It's a vital part of LP care!

Probably most of the damaging dust particles will be on the LP itself, or will have been been left in the sleeve from the LP surface. Keeping the records clean will minimise that --- so it isn't so oftopic, even though this thread is about a method of deep cleaning that one would not do regularly.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back