FEVICOL as Vinyl Cleaner !!!!

Wow.

How can you guarantee that no gunk gets left behind in the grooves for the stylus to pick up?

hi shaizada,

if you've ever used fevicol you'll have noticed that it rubs right off your fingers peeling off in one piece. so not too much gunk left behind though a little would be. though its a hell of a time consuming process to implement to clean many records.

regards

Thanks to all for the comments.

Dear Asit, a friend of mine from US had said many audiophiles have tried yellow carpenters glue to eliminate surface noise with great success.

Incidentally, last year i used a badly scratched EP disc as ornamental fan behind the Ganesha idol during festival. I had pasted decorative papers on it with a coat of Fevicol. After some days fevicol started peeling. Upon close inspection i noticed the dried Fevicol had replicated the grooves of vinyl record with lot of dirt from EP, looked like a disc copy.:D

So this led me to experiment :)

Last Saturday i experimented with a EP coated with thick layer of Fevicol, left overnight. In fact I was worried a bit as i had no idea to remove the dried glue. It was just a trial & error method, but i started peeling from one end, took some time to remove the whole dried glue. I experimented again with my precious Dire Straits LP, coated only one side. this time, glue came off the disc without much problem. [ could be because of thick glue] After cleaning & air dried, i played the other side of the disc cleaned with soap and water, sounded miserable with lot of static noise, but the side treated with Fevicol is enjoyable to listen to with little pops & crackle :)

I do not know the answer to your third question, may be there are options.

I also noticed that leaving Fevicol too long become less pliable and more difficult to remove in one piece & i have no idea of using this technique on old 78 RPM shellac records.

Regards,
Anil

My experiment with Dire Straits Lp​

052.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

054.jpg

MY DIY TOWERS

DIY Refractor Telescope

Hi Anil,

It's amazing, to say the least. But, I like to ask:

1) How did you think of such a method?
2) How were you sure that after drying, the glue layer will just simply peel off? Basically, how did you know that the glue will basically attract all the dirt and grease without forming a bond with the vinyl when dried? I have very little knowledge of macroscopic properties of materials, and that's why asking.
3) Is there any choice other than Fevicol which may also work?

Thanks a lot for the innovation. But let us know more by answering the questions, especially I am interested to know the thought process that went into it.

hi anil,

just curious how many lps do you clean at a time? do you do a batch and leave them to dry? or one at a time?

and what record player is it?

your diy speakers look lovely! way to go!

regards

2 LP's at a time. I am using Sonodyne Uranus TT bought in 1995 from Music Magic, St Marks Road.

Regards,
Anil

hi anil,

just curious how many lps do you clean at a time? do you do a batch and leave them to dry? or one at a time?

and what record player is it?

your diy speakers look lovely! way to go!

regards

Isnt there a danger two LPs will stick together with fevicol and never come off? :)

Cheers

Well in that case we will have a heavier reocrd with two sides.Might sound even better. Calls for another patent.

Hi Venkat,
are you also thinking of taking a plunge into the vinyl world?:) Eager to know if our vinyl community has a new member.
Thanks.

why are CDs designed to be easily scratched? Can they not be made more scratch resistant by design?

Scratch resistant blank CDs and DVDs are available at extra cost...but it would be great to see pre recorded CDs and DVDs coming with the hard coating like Blu rays.I lost few of my Audio Cds and DVDs due to scratch while handling.

Hi Venkat, are you also thinking of taking a plunge into the vinyl world?:) Eager to know if our vinyl community has a new member.

I started my serious entry into audio through Vinyl only. Looking at getting back to it slowly. Don't know when, though.

Cheers

I started my serious entry into audio through Vinyl only. Looking at getting back to it slowly. Don't know when, though.

Cheers

dear all, was thinking whether CLEANEX which is normally used for cleaning computers can be used for cleaning Vinyls. Anybody tried yet! Rgds.visu

This was amazing... after the trick to boil eggs with tea bags to increase the value (to be sold as country eggs)... this was the best.

I dont own LPs- but I got a relic from my attic and my office carpenter thought I had gone nuts.

This was hilarious.

KD.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone was stilll using this process? I came across some amazing records yesterday (beatles white album first press, led zep, etc) and the music on the records sounds rich and full, but there is too much static and noise coz the records were kept in storage for ages. I tried cleaning them with solution, even tried scrubbing a few with an old toothbrush (a method that sometimes completely eliminates noise, but leaves a few hairline marks that dont affect play), but they still sound pretty noisy.

Would the fevicol method be worth trying? I've just ordered a box so will give it a shot tonight!

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone was stilll using this process? I came across some amazing records yesterday (beatles white album first press, led zep, etc) and the music on the records sounds rich and full, but there is too much static and noise coz the records were kept in storage for ages. I tried cleaning them with solution, even tried scrubbing a few with an old toothbrush (a method that sometimes completely eliminates noise, but leaves a few hairline marks that dont affect play), but they still sound pretty noisy.

Would the fevicol method be worth trying? I've just ordered a box so will give it a shot tonight!

Hi TEK , kindly inform us what was the end result........

I did it.
The first hit n try, I cleaned just one song n not the whole side. Chose yesudaas. Mana ho tum behad haseen. Have 3-4 copies already. Fevicol sh was deployed, dried in 1 hour. Peeled. Few stubborn patches left. Played the sFe patches. Miraculously, it eliminated all noise. Next up, washing the leftover patches. I have a artists rubber compound to b tried this sunday instead of fevicol. I'll be back.

So far, i've had varying results with this, but overall I would say it's successful.

It eliminates at least 30-40% of noise, and in some cases even more! The downsides are, it's quite a pain to do, and the remnant glue left on the lead in and lead out grooves are annoying. After cleaning the record after gluing, my stylus was still picking up a little gunk that got cleaned off with a brush, but it's still a bit annoying.

It takes a bit of practice. The first few times i would invariably get glue on the underside of a record that had already been cleaned, and would have to glue it again!

I would use this method only if wet cleaning doesn't help much. I think of it more for "restoration" as opposed to cleaning.

A faster method that I had tried before on the same theory was using the lint remover. Lint removers are adhesive fabric tapes on a roller to remove lint from Suits and pants etc. You put the lint remover tapes on the lp, spread it even and then peel it off. I would not say it was miraculous cleaning but it worked. Now a days I just use the Spin cleaner.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back